All-Star Do We Have To Sacrifice Certain Parts Of Cheer To Become More Accepted By Society?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46469
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I see cheer on TV it's usually college competitions. NCA/UCA? I'm not well versed in the college cheer world. I think the 'cheer' aspect of college competitive is off putting. They do so many great stunts, baskets, pyramids, then out comes the megaphones, signs, pom poms. Why do they need to cheapen it with the cheers? Are they trying to keep the act of 'cheer' leading in competitions? I think those not familiar with competitive cheer only know about this form of competitive cheer and nothing about All star. I know the' cheers' are what make cheer cheer but I think they need to go to have competitive cheer be taken seriously as a sport.

i completely agree with everything.... BUT, i'd say the only thing that could help us as a sport would be the poorly educated skills.
although, majority of the time people see cheer (at least one social media) it's a big name team so it's usually as clean as it can get)
You have to realize though, cheer is a relatively small niche on social media. 98% of people's exposure to cheer has been through real life (in the form of typically mediocre cheer programs) or television/movies (either actual but seriously dumbed down or sexualized, or NFL/NBA dance mislabeled as cheer). Most people didn't see Senior Elite 2010, or Orange 2012, or TGLC 2008. Most people don't know that Bama, UK, Louisville, Morehead, Navarro, etc. have amazing cheer programs. A lot of people have a sexist, 'boobs or gtfo' attitude, or a 'cheerleader bullied me in highschool/middle school and i can't get over it so i hold onto my loathing for cheerleaders' attitude, or an also sexist 'they wear skirts and bows so they can't be athletic attitude', or they feel as if hating cheerleaders (real ones, not one dimensional movie/TV characters) is somehow cheering for the underdog, or they, out of ignorance, gravely underestimate the physical and mental toll that cheerleading takes on a person. It's brutal, if you're trained correctly.

When I see cheer on TV it's usually college competitions. NCA/UCA? I'm not well versed in the college cheer world. I think the 'cheer' aspect of college competitive is off putting. They do so many great stunts, baskets, pyramids, then out comes the megaphones, signs, pom poms. Why do they need to cheapen it with the cheers? Are they trying to keep the act of 'cheer' leading in competitions? I think those not familiar with competitive cheer only know about this form of competitive cheer and nothing about All star. I know the' cheers' are what make cheer cheer but I think they need to go to have competitive cheer be taken seriously as a sport.
This mindset really bothers me. If a person can watch a UCA HS or collegiate routine, with all of its athleticism but allow the inclusion of a crowd leading cheer to nullify their perception that it is athletic, then that person lacks the faculties necessary for critical thinking. I know that lots of all-star lovers cringe at the more traditional aspects of cheer, but those have always been and are not going anywhere anytime soon, and especially not because an outsider doesn't like it. Outsiders criticize the makeup and hair (not even heavy and crazy hair and makeup, though that gets criticized as well, and rightfully so; I'm talking decent, reasonably dramatic but not crazy hair and makeup); does that mean that we should ban all of the glam from all-star? Absolutely not. (Emotion can seem saturated in writing... trust me when I say that I am not as angry/offended as my response might sound.)

Last edited:
This mindset really bothers me. If a person can watch a UCA HS or collegiate routine, with all of its athleticism but allow the inclusion of a crowd leading cheer to nullify their perception that it is athletic, then that person lacks the faculties necessary for critical thinking. I know that lots of all-star lovers cringe at the more traditional aspects of cheer, but those have always been and are not going anywhere anytime soon, and especially not because an outsider doesn't like it. Outsiders criticize the makeup and hair (not even heavy and crazy hair and makeup, though that gets criticized as well, and rightfully so; I'm talking decent, reasonably dramatic but not crazy hair and makeup); does that mean that we should ban all of the glam from all-star? Absolutely not. (Emotion can seem saturated in writing... trust me when I say that I am not as angry/offended as my response might sound.)

Totally agree.

Any scholastic cheer coach, no matter how many national titles they have in the gym will tell you that game day is the most important. The school is not paying for you to go to nationals for two minutes. They want girls on the sidelines leading the crowd, getting a sold out stadium on their feet. So it makes sense that a college cheer competition includes a game day element because that's the purpose. All Star is about your pure skill. No one cares if you can get the stadium to chant with you.And that's fine.

You know how many people who have so/so athletic programs go to games for the cheerleaders? How many people actually love cheers? No it's not the hardest part of the deal, but it's literally what's in the name of the sport. Cheer-leader. All Star is just a subset of the sport. It's like how you have volleyball and beach volleyball. Same things, different rules/expectations.

Not every athlete wants to compete every weekend and only do routines. Some people love the gameday experience. I know gameday was what I LOVED about cheer when I was younger, something that faded as I got into the performing in All-star but stellar scholastic cheer environments in HS and college have brought that back.

Totally agree.

Any scholastic cheer coach, no matter how many national titles they have in the gym will tell you that game day is the most important. The school is not paying for you to go to nationals for two minutes. They want girls on the sidelines leading the crowd, getting a sold out stadium on their feet. So it makes sense that a college cheer competition includes a game day element because that's the purpose. All Star is about your pure skill. No one cares if you can get the stadium to chant with you.And that's fine.

You know how many people who have so/so athletic programs go to games for the cheerleaders? How many people actually love cheers? No it's not the hardest part of the deal, but it's literally what's in the name of the sport. Cheer-leader. All Star is just a subset of the sport. It's like how you have volleyball and beach volleyball. Same things, different rules/expectations.

Not every athlete wants to compete every weekend and only do routines. Some people love the gameday experience. I know gameday was what I LOVED about cheer when I was younger, something that faded as I got into the performing in All-star but stellar scholastic cheer environments in HS and college have brought that back.
This. People love to act like the presence of cheerleaders doesn't matter but then you have countless videos of fans losing their minds doing spellouts and crowd cheers with the cheerleaders. Look at the C-L-E-M-S-O-N and C-A-T-S spellout traditions, for example (granted, they have fantastic football and basketball teams, but still).

This. People love to act like the presence of cheerleaders doesn't matter but then you have countless videos of fans losing their minds doing spellouts and crowd cheers with the cheerleaders. Look at the C-L-E-M-S-O-N and C-A-T-S spellout traditions, for example (granted, they have fantastic football and basketball teams, but still).

My HS has a signature cheer that is at least 30 years old. When a basketball game is down to the wire, the ENTIRE gym will stomp along. My best moment in HS was doing the cheer right before a buzzer beater win, the sound was deafening. Our coach went to HS at a rival school and she said it took a while for her to do it with us because she was so use to being on the other side of it lol

Our football team sucked, but people would love to come to the game and watch/interact with us.

College? When we do tuck baskets? Pandamonium.

Wow what a way to put down all those great sideline/competition teams by saying it cheapens a routine by putting in crowd leading elements. There is so many forms of cheer not all will be versed in all. What or how you said what said just didn't sit well with me. I'm sure there are many people who feel the same way when it comes to all star.

Wow what a way to put down all those great sideline/competition teams by saying it cheapens a routine by putting in crowd leading elements. There is so many forms of cheer not all will be versed in all. What or how you said what said just didn't sit well with me. I'm sure there are many people who feel the same way when it comes to all star.
I hate to pile on, but we also have to consider the fact that when we crap on our own, we give outsiders permission to do the same.

i completely agree with everything.... BUT, i'd say the only thing that could help us as a sport would be the poorly educated skills.
although, majority of the time people see cheer (at least one social media) it's a big name team so it's usually as clean as it can get)

Yes! This ^ I realized rather quickly that cheer gyms just want your kid to "throw" the skill no matter how it looks or how safe it is being executed. If you really want your kid to tumble safely and be able to still use their knees and not need to wear a copper fit back brace daily before 25, get them to a "pure" gymnastics gym for classes, it was eye opening to see the technique that was not being taught at the cheer gym. Took 2 classes to correct the running and power hurdle we thought she learned from the cheer gym and the tumbling specific conditioning and drills has even help her balance and jumps. JS

This mindset really bothers me. If a person can watch a UCA HS or collegiate routine, with all of its athleticism but allow the inclusion of a crowd leading cheer to nullify their perception that it is athletic, then that person lacks the faculties necessary for critical thinking.
I understand we share different opinions and that's ok. We've had different experiences. I like hearing responses to why others don't agree with my opinion. I don't think saying that I 'lack the faculties necessary for critical thinking' is an effective way to disagree with someone's opinion.
My opinion is Sideline is athletic but when they are not competing then it lacks a component to qualify it as a sport. Just because something is athletic doesn't make it a sport. Yoga is athletic i dont see that becoming a sport. Competitive cheer does compete therefore it should be classified as a sport. I merely think that the necessity to lead a crowd in a Cheer during a competition is not necessary for the sport aspect just like the hair/makeup/raunchy dance moves associated with all star.

I understand we share different opinions and that's ok. We've had different experiences. I like hearing responses to why others don't agree with my opinion. I don't think saying that I 'lack the faculties necessary for critical thinking' is an effective way to disagree with someone's opinion.
My opinion is Sideline is athletic but when they are not competing then it lacks a component to qualify it as a sport. Just because something is athletic doesn't make it a sport. Yoga is athletic i dont see that becoming a sport. Competitive cheer does compete therefore it should be classified as a sport. I merely think that the necessity to lead a crowd in a Cheer during a competition is not necessary for the sport aspect just like the hair/makeup/raunchy dance moves associated with all star.
Yoga has been competitive for as long as it has been around. There are many professionals organizations and professional yogis as well.

I never said that you lack the faculties necessary for critical thinking. The statement does not apply in your case because (I assume) that you don't believe that the presence of a cheer in a routine nullifies its athletic nature. That statement was a reference to what many outsiders think. You are entitled to your opinion.

I think you are over estimating the size and scale of all star cheer. It feels huge but in actuality is pretty small and like others said, very niche. If you include all facets of cheer, cheerleading is still kinda small.

imo sideline isn't really athletic, i hate sideline w/ a passion so maybe that's why i'm saying this. when i had to do sideline for my college, we barely stunted. we threw pyramids from time to time but other than that, it was just chants and motions.

okay so do you guys think if more major comps were televised (of course on ESPN 1/2, or recaps on sportscenter) this could help people see? (just speaking of a theory) IE: CAC, Majors, Cheersport Nationals, NCA, UCA, and Worlds? they can do finals from each or even just top 3 of each division.
once again just a theory, please don't scold me with how this won't happen.

Allstar would possibly not exist without sideline. It is called "cheerleading". If you aren't leading cheers, are you really a cheerleader?

Back