All-Star Do You Know Your Level Rules?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
How many people can actually say that they know the rules for the level in which they compete? Shouldn't we know the rules, at least for the level in which we compete, for our sport?

i know the rules for pretty much every level. 2 years ago my teams coaches put something illegal in our pyramid and i knew it was illegal, but they insisted it was legal. so at our competitions i had to tell both of the groups doing it to hold on to the flyers the whole time during the move so we wouldnt get deducted. one group didnt and we got deducted for it. the following year after i left they went to a competition and were the only team with 18 points worth of deductions for illegal moves....

Well, I judge legalities, so I HOPE i know them for all the levels. If I ever have a question though, Les Stella is always happy to help and to clarify. As a coach...you should all REALLY know your level rules. Safety deductions are usually pretty hefty and can really change the outcome of placements. It isn't like the rules are a big secret and not accessible!

I have the rules app for my iTouch, and would recommend it to any cheerleader, even though it isn't free. I thought it was really helpful, and that's how I learned the rules for every level:]

Well, I judge legalities, so I HOPE i know them for all the levels. If I ever have a question though, Les Stella is always happy to help and to clarify. As a coach...you should all REALLY know your level rules. Safety deductions are usually pretty hefty and can really change the outcome of placements. It isn't like the rules are a big secret and not accessible!

I'm saying that even athletes should know the rules! Do you think in football the players don't know the rules?

Football players make mistakes as well, even if they do know the rules. Breaking the rules = penalties in football, just like cheerleading. I think the coaches knowing is more important than cheerleaders knowing. Why should a bunch of 10 year olds know the level rules...that is why parents pay good money to have their kids in private gyms. Those coaches, owners and directors should be the ones that pay to gain the proper knowledge. Just sayin though....

Football players make mistakes as well, even if they do know the rules. Breaking the rules = penalties in football, just like cheerleading. I think the coaches knowing is more important than cheerleaders knowing. Why should a bunch of 10 year olds know the level rules...that is why parents pay good money to have their kids in private gyms. Those coaches, owners and directors should be the ones that pay to gain the proper knowledge. Just sayin though....

I don't think you should have to pay to gain knowledge about safety but that's another topic.

i basically know the rules for every level, and if i'm unsure about something, i have the usasf app on my phone. coaches should definitely know the rules, but i think that it's a good thing for cheerleaders to be familiar with them too.

I don't necessarily think the athletes should know the rules. The coaches should. That's their job and what they get paid for.

Well, I had to pay to take the Safety Certification Course and Test, every year. I also have paid to attend other seminars that educate me on safety as well as other aspects of the industry/sport. So yes, you do have to pay if you want to be sure you are correct. Coaches should always be attending courses as well to upgrade their knowledge on all matters, not just safety. So whether you THINK you should have to pay....the fact is, in cheerleading (as well as MANY other industries/professions) you DO have to pay to gain knowledge on a great many number of aspects. But back to the point...I do not expect either of my children (ages 16 and 13) to know the level rules. I expect them to show up for practice, offer up whatever their talents are for their team, and that's about it. I expect their COACHES to give them and their teams the best LEGAL routine they can. After all, the coaches are paid to know their job, which includes legal aspects of the routines given to their teams.

Furthermore, you really expect a mini level 5 to know the rules?!

I know the levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 rules like the back of my hand. I know level 5 rules just because I really aspire to be on that team next year and am working towards it. But I have been on levels 2, 3, and 4 before so i made sure I was familar with the rules. Level 1 is kind of a grey area for me but I think I know most of them...

Its one thing to say you know the rules. and another to know the tiny details/ intricacies of the rules. I think thats what separates a lot of people here. I'm sure a lot of people know you can do braced inversions in a few levels, but do people really know what the differences are between all of them.

Furthermore, you really expect a mini level 5 to know the rules?!
Except there is no mini level 5 anymore...it's illegal! ;) HAHAHA...sorry, had to post on that. I get the point though and thank you for understanding what I was trying to get across!! I also don't expect a 16 year old athlete to know the rules. Again, it is NOT THEIR JOB.

Back