All-Star Do You Know Your Level Rules?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know the general legalities of my level and other levels. But it's the tiny things that i don't know.

I know them of the levels I coach, obviously because if I don't know them who in my team would. I do have major issues or interpreting some stuff though, especially when it comes inversions and transitional stunts. I figure once I start coaching higher level squads...I better go back to school! Anyone else new to the rules and get a bit confused?

In the level my team competes and the level I coach in, yes. Pretty well the other ones too, but not perfectly. I know US allstar rules in general, especially level 5, but not all the details.

Just be careful with that app...it will not get updated as quickly as the USASF site will update it. Les has always said to use the print out first...then refer to the app if necessary, but it may not update as fast as the rules. It is handy though, I agree.

We require our coaches to know the rules for the levels they coach. I'm the all star director for our gym, and it's my job to know everyone's rules per level. Since I don't coach all of our teams, it's important for our coaches to be informed of their level, or at least know where to look if they have a question.

I'm saying that even athletes should know the rules! Do you think in football the players don't know the rules?
It's very different sports. In cheerleading you have one thing to do - your routine. In football you can do pretty much whatever you feel like to do. If the coach know the rules, the routine is probably following the rules. But then there's other rules, like you shouldn't step out of the mat (at least we have that). That should all athletes know.

I try to inform my team of our level rules. I like them to understand why or why not when we do stunts/pyramids. Sometimes, when trying something new, several of them will ask "is this legal?" because once last year I worked an entire practice on something that I hadn't thought all the way through, only to realize the next day it was illegal, as well as our camp instructors had spent an entire day working a skill in our pyramid that was illegal too.

They help keep me in check! LOL

I have the rules app for my iTouch, and would recommend it to any cheerleader, even though it isn't free. I thought it was really helpful, and that's how I learned the rules for every level:]

I have it too! It comes in really handy. My coaches were discussing some rules one day so I whipped out my iTouch and we looked it up. :)

I honestly know only basics of all the levels, with the most knowledge in 5. For highschool, I know rules, legalities, and scoresheets like the back of my hand. After March's tryouts, we have until the beginning of the high school season (V!Roc Choreo in June), to look over this year's scoresheets, changed rules, etc. printed out for us. It's always hardest your first year, then you learn changes each other year. This really helps to eliminate questions as to why the routine is way is why it is. Susie with the only kick double would never ask why we can't make a basket section to highlight it. It also helps with the perfection of skills. If a newly landed tumbling pass has steps or a kick double seems head below hips, there are no hard feelings over it not being in the routine. Knowing scoresheets also helped us size up the competition, and after nationals we'd always watch the winning teams and see why they won. Explains the team's success at nationals IMO.

It's very different sports. In cheerleading you have one thing to do - your routine. In football you can do pretty much whatever you feel like to do. If the coach know the rules, the routine is probably following the rules. But then there's other rules, like you shouldn't step out of the mat (at least we have that). That should all athletes know.

I'm sorry to say but your statement is completely false. In football you cannot do "pretty much whatever you feel like to do [sic]". Both are team sports and I am 99% certain football players know all of the rules to their sport, especially at the professional level.

Back