All-Star Does Going First In A Division Really Affect Scoring/placement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think it does matter, especially with comparative scoring. I think that judges leave themselves room in a division, and that while it might not change the outcome within a division, those who go first suffer in the run for level champs, bids ect.

They might leave a little bit of wiggle room, you're correct, but that doesn't affect placements, but you're absolutely right about bids, grand champs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not true. I think @King or @BlueCat proved there's definitely a correlation between when you perform and how you score. Especially at worlds where there is no rubric and it's all comparative scoring.

Scoring is different from placement though. It doesn't effect placement within the division, but scoring within the entire competition, absolutely.

Scoring is different from placement though. It doesn't effect placement within the division, but scoring within the entire competition, absolutely.

I think it affects overall scoring much more than placements, but it's not accurate to say it has absolutely no effect on placements.

This is has been discussed in a few places:

Competition Order Affecting Scores? | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Let's Discuss Worlds Scoring | Page 15 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
https://www.fierceboard.com/threads/my-issue-with-comparative-scoring.36859/

I know someone used real scores to show that teams that go later tend to place higher. I just can't find it.

Last edited:
I disagree...since scoring is what determines placement...it absolutely can make a difference on where a team places.

Not necessarily. I've judged for plenty of years...if a team goes first and knocks it out the park, and deserves to win, they will. They may score a hair lower than they could to leave wiggle room for potential contenders. There isn't a set score for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

If yo have more than 10 teams in a division then the later you go the higher your score. I mapped it out for worlds using linear regression a couple years ago. Each subsequent team had a higher percentage chance of getting one point higher each later place they went. Ill find the thread.

I think it affects overall scoring much more than placements, but I don't think it's accurate to say it has absolutely no affect on placements.

This is has been discussed in a few places:

Competition Order Affecting Scores? | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Let's Discuss Worlds Scoring | Page 15 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
https://www.fierceboard.com/threads/my-issue-with-comparative-scoring.36859/

I know someone used real scores to show that teams that go later tend to place higher. I just can't find it.

Here's what I was looking for!

Let's Discuss Worlds Scoring | Page 8 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Let's Discuss Worlds Scoring | Page 7 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Not necessarily. I've judged for plenty of years...if a team goes first and knocks it out the park, and deserves to win, they will. They may score a hair lower than they could to leave wiggle room for potential contenders. There isn't a set score for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

You are talking about clear cut winners...knocking it out of the park routines. What about tight, close divisions where the placements are determined by less than a point? In these cases it may not be the team who is the best that places 1st, but the team that performs later in the competition.

You are talking about clear cut winners...knocking it out of the park routines. What about tight, close divisions where the placements are determined by less than a point? In these cases it may not be the team who is the best that places 1st, but the team that performs later in the competition.

Once again, nothing to do with order of performance. A good judge will make sure the team they think should have won, wins.

Back