Double Down

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Alright, I've been hit in the face enough times by my fliers during double downs what you should NOT do. First of all, DO NOT UNDER ANY CERCUMSTANCES, twist with your arms in like a half t position, ride your pop as much as you can before you bring your arms straight down to one side. Try and keep your feet together as much as possible. Don't dive!!! It Will ruin even the most perfect double and you could loose a tooth if you hit your face on your back bases shoulder (happened to one of our fliers) that's pretty much it! Best of luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I teach my girls to first and foremost square their hips to the front if spinning from any back body positions as you are generally already facing the front during front body positions.

Squeeze you abs, glutes and ankles together during any dismount whether its a straight cradle, single or double down. Pointing your toes helps you keeps your legs locked and ankles together. it also makes a double down much more visually appealing (I HATE FLEXED FEET IN DISMOUNTS!) lol. When initiating the spin keep your chin in while looking in the direction you are spinning. (I use chin to shoulder as a reference point) to keep your head from sticking out and slowing momentum.

After squaring to the front, squeezing core and "chin checking" (my coaching lingo) spin with arms locked in tight to your body (preferably straight arms) and think of reaching for your "back pocket" I teach my flyers to not catch in the cradle but whatever your gyms preference is in this matter will work.

Think of yourself as being in a plastic tube and you want keep your body as tight and straight as possible while dismounting so that you don't break the the tube. Also as others have posted don't head dive and don't twist straight up and down like a pencil. You'll may end up with a few grumpy kitties underneath you if you do! ;)

I teach my girls to first and foremost square their hips to the front if spinning from any back body positions as you are generally already facing the front during front body positions.

Squeeze you abs, glutes and ankles together during any dismount whether its a straight cradle, single or double down. Pointing your toes helps you keeps your legs locked and ankles together. it also makes a double down much more visually appealing (I HATE FLEXED FEET IN DISMOUNTS!) lol. When initiating the spin keep your chin in while looking in the direction you are spinning. (I use chin to shoulder as a reference point) to keep your head from sticking out and slowing momentum.

After squaring to the front, squeezing core and "chin checking" (my coaching lingo) spin with arms locked in tight to your body (preferably straight arms) and think of reaching for your "back pocket" I teach my flyers to not catch in the cradle but whatever your gyms preference is in this matter will work.

Think of yourself as being in a plastic tube and you want keep your body as tight and straight as possible while dismounting so that you don't break the the tube. Also as others have posted don't head dive and don't twist straight up and down like a pencil. You'll may end up with a few grumpy kitties underneath you if you do! ;)

Really great tips!

Back