High School Drama Filled Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 8, 2012
So I'm a junior and I'm on the varsity squad at my high school. We have 3 seniors and 8 juniors and I have never seen so much drama between a group of girls ever in my life. They somehow manage to turn everything into a fight. And when I say everything, I mean everything. We can't even make it through one practice without a fight or an argument breaking out over stupid little things. They fight over chants, things we do for the boys, cheers, formations, anything. Is anyone else's team like this?

My high school team is kind of like this.. Then it get solved until the next situation happens. Its high school.
Some stuff is stuff that happened in school but they bring it onto the mat.

I will say, as a coach - If your team is arguing about little things like that. Your coach needs to start using her voice. She cant be afraid to pick sides. She needs to choose whats best for the team and whats ultimately going to make or break your season.

Girl A wants to wear red bows to the game but Girl B wants to wear White bows.. Ultimately. Its coaches decision.
Things like that should not be argued about!

I hope this helps.
-Hanna

The issue:

The coach is not coaching. The girls are coaching themselves and have no leadership.

No one on my team argues about which bow to wear because I tell them which one is to be worn.

No one argues about cheers because the designated game day leader (changes every few games) calls them. There is no argument to be had.

No one argues about formations, because myself and other coaches determine them.

It's that simple. No decisions to make = no fighting.

So I'm a junior and I'm on the varsity squad at my high school. We have 3 seniors and 8 juniors and I have never seen so much drama between a group of girls ever in my life. They somehow manage to turn everything into a fight. And when I say everything, I mean everything. We can't even make it through one practice without a fight or an argument breaking out over stupid little things. They fight over chants, things we do for the boys, cheers, formations, anything. Is anyone else's team like this?
Where is coach? He/she just lets it happen every practice?

This is most definitely poor leadership and poor coaching. Shame on that coach. Bring it to the AD's attention. A team that argues cannot be safe when stunting if they are too busy giving their assist the stank eye or being lazy In catching their flyer... I say it's absolutely not acceptable. Hope it gets better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom is the coach and she's more than once made us run or do extra conditioning because of stupid arguments we've had. She yells at them constantly and so does our other coach but they still take it upon themselves to keep doing it. And they've taken problems to the AD, principal and assistant principal but they tell them to take care of the problem first. They do and they think it's fixed and then another argument breaks out and more drama starts. A lot of things go on at practices but even more go on in the group message they have, which has nothing to do with our coaches. That group message does more bad than it does good. A lot of the times that is where most of the arguments start.

My mom is the coach and she's more than once made us run or do extra conditioning because of stupid arguments we've had. She yells at them constantly and so does our other coach but they still take it upon themselves to keep doing it. And they've taken problems to the AD, principal and assistant principal but they tell them to take care of the problem first. They do and they think it's fixed and then another argument breaks out and more drama starts. A lot of things go on at practices but even more go on in the group message they have, which has nothing to do with our coaches. That group message does more bad than it does good. A lot of the times that is where most of the arguments start.
You used too many "they". I am not sure if a "they" is for the coaches or for the cheerleaders.

Yelling and conditioning isn't always the best fix... Communication along with mutual respect between coaching staff and athlete is one of the most important foundations to a team. Have you tried some team bonding activities? Doing some fun stuff to get to know each other better as a squad? Has your mother (coach) tried having a team bonfire or "trust talk" to discuss where you are versus where you want to be as a team... Maybe throw all frustrations away in the trash, burn in the fire? For a team to really move on from conflict there needs to be some action and not mere reaction to the problem. Talk to your coach about some positive things you can do to help. Suggest to everyone that maybe you'd like to do a team bowling night...or scavenger hunt. (With teams drawn from a hat so "cliques" aren't together) team that wins that night gets to have next weeks say at practice about formations or rally routine (with coaches approval of course) perhaps this with give people who normally don't get a voice a chance to be heard... And when someone argues they want something a certain way... You have "winner gets to pick this week..." As a rule to fall back on. Structure, communication, and positive reinforcement followed with a proactive force should at least ease a little of the tension.

The coach should be a part of the group chat. Even if she doesn't comment just to monitor it for problems [emoji4]

Excuses any typos [emoji23]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach has to get control of the team and do what it takes to put an end to the bickering. Bench them for a game or 2 and it will stop. If it doesn't, the offender needs to be removed from the team. A lot can be prevented by proactive intervention. If they cannot work together civilly to make decisions, the coach should be making them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In high school it can be hard for the coach to stop in because of admin's general lack of support. I know my admin went around me numerous times trying to placate parents (which irritated the other parents)... Our team was ridiculously drama filled too... Can the captain's help in any way?

Back