High School Drama Filled Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In high school it can be hard for the coach to stop in because of admin's general lack of support. I know my admin went around me numerous times trying to placate parents (which irritated the other parents)... Our team was ridiculously drama filled too... Can the captain's help in any way?

We don't have captains and we never have. My mom thought about doing captains this year but with the girls we have she knew that would just add to the drama because that's just how bad those girls were.

Coach has to get control of the team and do what it takes to put an end to the bickering. Bench them for a game or 2 and it will stop. If it doesn't, the offender needs to be removed from the team. A lot can be prevented by proactive intervention. If they cannot work together civilly to make decisions, the coach should be making them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We ended our football season last night so we are losing 5 girls, and 3 of the 5 are girls who caused the most problems. So hopefully with them not cheering basketball, the drama will start dwindling. The only problem is those girls are still on the competition team

We ended our football season last night so we are losing 5 girls, and 3 of the 5 are girls who caused the most problems. So hopefully with them not cheering basketball, the drama will start dwindling. The only problem is those girls are still on the competition team
Your mom needs to revamp the rules before basketball and comp seasons start, especially regarding social media and group chats. Maybe that will cut down on some of the drama. Additionally, she needs to be calling all the shots. Since the girls can't handle simple decisions such as what cheers to use without arguing, they shouldn't be allowed to make any decisions. Everything from the cheers to the hair should be decided upon by the coach without input from the girls because they have not shown they have the capability to do so.

Your mom needs to revamp the rules before basketball and comp seasons start, especially regarding social media and group chats. Maybe that will cut down on some of the drama. Additionally, she needs to be calling all the shots. Since the girls can't handle simple decisions such as what cheers to use without arguing, they shouldn't be allowed to make any decisions. Everything from the cheers to the hair should be decided upon by the coach without input from the girls because they have not shown they have the capability to do so.
Just saw something on ESPN where kids were upset about schools social media policy's. They went on to talk about how their "social media" accounts were "their private business..." And it was "their personal private life that should not have anything to do with them being an athlete"... Therefore they shouldn't get in trouble if they mention another teammate or the program... The school or academics.. It's freedom of speech...! My husband and I laughed for a good 20 minutes ... What part of "social media"... Is meant for "privacy"...?!?! And explain how a medium for expressing ones thoughts for the whole world to see is Considered truly "personal"... You want to write your personal thoughts down or vent... Get a diary or go to therapy. The whole "group chat" and "snap chats" and insta-everything... Is such a headache these days!

Just saw something on ESPN where kids were upset about schools social media policy's. They went on to talk about how their "social media" accounts were "their private business..." And it was "their personal private life that should not have anything to do with them being an athlete"... Therefore they shouldn't get in trouble if they mention another teammate or the program... The school or academics.. It's freedom of speech...! My husband and I laughed for a good 20 minutes ... What part of "social media"... Is meant for "privacy"...?!?! And explain how a medium for expressing ones thoughts for the whole world to see is Considered truly "personal"... You want to write your personal thoughts down or vent... Get a diary or go to therapy. The whole "group chat" and "snap chats" and insta-everything... Is such a headache these days!
Cp's coach sat them all down just last week and told them that since cheer is now a sport in NYS they will be treated like any other athlete who violates the school's social media policy of posting anything inappropriate online and removed from the team.

I too laugh when I hear the claim that social media is their private business. They also don't seem to get that when their stupidity makes the news, their intro is "Jane Doe, a cheerleader from the Blah Blah School District, posted the following picture showing them acting like asses...."

I'm sure a lot of our jv girls would get a kick out of that. There's a few of them who have been in trouble for things they've tweeted or retweeted, mainly because the things they were tweeting and retweeting were directly about our cheerleading program. And a few of them have blocked our information account so our coach can't see anything they tweet even though our coach isn't allowed to follow any of us and they have also blocked me. I'm not sure why they have me blocked, but I believe the reason they have me blocked is because I'm the coaches daughter. Other than that, I'm not sure why they have me blocked because I don't have any sort of problem with any of the girls that I cheer with. But I've never asked them about it because I don't want to start any more drama than there already is.

Cp's coach sat them all down just last week and told them that since cheer is now a sport in NYS they will be treated like any other athlete who violates the school's social media policy of posting anything inappropriate online and removed from the team.

I too laugh when I hear the claim that social media is their private business. They also don't seem to get that when their stupidity makes the news, their intro is "Jane Doe, a cheerleader from the Blah Blah School District, posted the following picture showing them acting like asses...."

I recently saw on the news that a senior cheerleader, and I believe she was the captain, was kicked off her team because of something she tweeted about her town because the school believed it was a racist.

Here's the article. HS Cheerleader Kicked Off Team For Racist Tweet, Blames Donald Trump

I'm sure a lot of our jv girls would get a kick out of that. There's a few of them who have been in trouble for things they've tweeted or retweeted, mainly because the things they were tweeting and retweeting were directly about our cheerleading program. And a few of them have blocked our information account so our coach can't see anything they tweet even though our coach isn't allowed to follow any of us and they have also blocked me. I'm not sure why they have me blocked, but I believe the reason they have me blocked is because I'm the coaches daughter. Other than that, I'm not sure why they have me blocked because I don't have any sort of problem with any of the girls that I cheer with. But I've never asked them about it because I don't want to start any more drama than there already is.
Our cheerleaders aren't allowed to block the coaches. That implies they are being inappropriate.

One of our coaches has a cp on the team, but I can't imagine any of the other girls blocking her.

ETA: We are in a small enough town that people will tell the coaches if anything even slightly inappropriate is on social media.

Our cheerleaders aren't allowed to block the coaches. That implies they are being inappropriate.

One of our coaches has a cp on the team, but I can't imagine any of the other girls blocking her.

ETA: We are in a small enough town that people will tell the coaches if anything even slightly inappropriate is on social media.

We're a small town too and word travels fast, especially in the schools

Ultimately the coach needs to step up and take control, plain and simple rather than take the "woah, is me" attitude. We can complain all we want about what the girls are doing but the coaches actions or other adults obviously are reinforcing that behavior even if it's a passive reinforcement.

Back