Drills For Layout

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No grab tucks. This will teach you to rotate with your hips, and lift with your shoulders and core. From there, start opening your body shape from tuck, to pike, then the straight body layout.

She started no grab tucks earlier this week in the gym and she's actually doing pretty good with them.

She's concerned she's going to be behind the rest of the team. She was pulled to cross to a level 4 from a level 3 and she wants to have all of her level 4 skills just like the rest of the team. I told her to stop stressing but she doesn't want to hold the new team back.

I have heard of coaches teaching layouts before tucks, because it makes the transition easier. This was my own personal with tumbling so it makes sense to me, has anyone tried it?

I have heard of coaches teaching layouts before tucks, because it makes the transition easier. This was my own personal with tumbling so it makes sense to me, has anyone tried it?

I can see how that could possibly help, however her gym doesn't teach it that way.

Interesting.. I've never heard of that but I can see how that could potentially work.

We do lots of rebounds and then tucks (and open tucks) up onto one or two crash pads to really emphasize hitting the set to get height before moving on to layouts.

My kid doesn't grab in her tucks either but she never has. She said it feels weird to grab. Although I don't think she was ever taught not to grab she just never did it.

Anyways she is on j3 and apparently one of the coaches told her to do her tuck and everyone needed to watch. He said if you cannot do it like her and not grab then you shouldn't be working on layouts in tumbling class. She was excited to be used for the example but when she told me I was like wow... I always thought my kid should grab and I would tell her to lol. I didn't feel it looked like a tuck as much so then I felt relieved knowing they preferred that.

However she doesn't grab on her standing tucks either and though she can do them I feel like she makes it much more difficult on herself! Lol

Btw the cheer RX app has a lot of great drills with video for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think those coaches should reevaluate their career choice.

This is VERY common way to teach tumbling in the gymnastic world... And it makes compete sense. The layout shape is a much more simple shape for an athlete to understand and hit, learning to rotate a tuck through yours hips is actually quite difficult in comparison.

Once a layout is learnt, moving to a tuck is just hit a layout shape and bending your knees.

Yes it is backwards coaching, but I personally have used it in special occasions where an athlete is struggling In the rotation department.

There are plenty examples where one skills is easier than a another from a lower level, ie tucks are very simple shapes when compared to backhand spring, especially front tucks

To be even more outrageous, ROUNDOFFS, Are incredibly hard to teach correctly and perfect, I'd say going from a layout to a full is easier than cartwheel to Roundoff

Latest posts

Back