High School Drills/grips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2009
This season I really want to focus on taking my teams stunting ability to the next level.

They have the basics down, as well as express ups, tick tocks & full up (two legged, cross leg load in way)

This season I want to have them work on:
180 tick up (possibly 360 if they can get the 180)
Full up to single leg (ruby slipper grip?)

I attended the Varsity coaches conference back in April and they went over a lot of other stunts & dismounts but really not the 2 above skills that I'm really interested in.

I've seen various grips & was wondering if any of you had a "preferred way". As well as any good instructional videos/tips/advice on these grips/load ins?

I'm all about safety & correct technique so my team very well may not get to these stunts, but it is a goal of mine for the team! We will spend ample amount of time reviewing the basics and everything before I even introduce these new skills, but I want to be prepared if we do get to that point!

Full up to single leg w ruby slipper is literally the easiest of all of the skills you have listed, including the ones you have already perfected.

Positioning: main base at secondary, secondary at back, back at main.
Flyer is in load in position, hips forward, left foot/knee forward, right foot/knee facing toward back spot(who is in traditional main base position), ankles "click" together at load in (hence the ruby slipper).

Grips:
(There are several ways to do it but this is what works for us):
Secondary - get grip first. Right hand reaches over the top of right foot to grab the center of the foot. Left hand on left bum/thigh (push hand).
Main - right hand reach under secondary to grab toe of right foot (forearm will be under secondary's hand). Left hand reach under left foot to grab left toe (forearm as much under left foot as possible). This is her throw arm.
Back: right hand on right shin. Left hand on right bum/thigh. This is her throw arm.

Dip, and as flyer stands, she will only turn 1/4 turn to lib (if she tries to turn farther, she will over rotate). Have her try this on the ground first with her feet positioned in ruby slipper - they understand what you're talking about right away.
Bases dip, then step directly to their normal position facing their normal way as they lift, throw and rotate.

Do this to prep level first to get the idea of the base group "dance", then once that is perfected, going to extended level is a piece of cake.

The explanation is waaaaaaay more confusing than the execution.

Full up to single leg w ruby slipper is literally the easiest of all of the skills you have listed, including the ones you have already perfected.

Positioning: main base at secondary, secondary at back, back at main.
Flyer is in load in position, hips forward, left foot/knee forward, right foot/knee facing toward back spot(who is in traditional main base position), ankles "click" together at load in (hence the ruby slipper).

Grips:
(There are several ways to do it but this is what works for us):
Secondary - get grip first. Right hand reaches over the top of right foot to grab the center of the foot. Left hand on left bum/thigh (push hand).
Main - right hand reach under secondary to grab toe of right foot (forearm will be under secondary's hand). Left hand reach under left foot to grab left toe (forearm as much under left foot as possible). This is her throw arm.
Back: right hand on right shin. Left hand on right bum/thigh. This is her throw arm.

Dip, and as flyer stands, she will only turn 1/4 turn to lib (if she tries to turn farther, she will over rotate). Have her try this on the ground first with her feet positioned in ruby slipper - they understand what you're talking about right away.
Bases dip, then step directly to their normal position facing their normal way as they lift, throw and rotate.

Do this to prep level first to get the idea of the base group "dance", then once that is perfected, going to extended level is a piece of cake.

The explanation is waaaaaaay more confusing than the execution.
Thank you SO much!!

Greenup County absolutely nails technique when it comes to full ups to single leg at the HS level. They use a traditional grip, and as you can see from their full up to two-leg stunts, it is a natural progression. Base technique doesn't change, besides the secondary base going for the single leg grip once the stunt reaches the top. You will save 8-counts on loading in this way.

Stunt starts at 0:32.

Greenup County absolutely nails technique when it comes to full ups to single leg at the HS level. They use a traditional grip, and as you can see from their full up to two-leg stunts, it is a natural progression. Base technique doesn't change, besides the secondary base going for the single leg grip once the stunt reaches the top. You will save 8-counts on loading in this way.

Stunt starts at 0:32.

Thank you!

Omg I just watched that and that technique was horrible. The bases had their arms below ninety-degrees mark which makes it so hard and then the bases were standing so far apart. It would be so much easier to fix these things and make it look cleaner.

Back