High School Drugs And Alcohol

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 27, 2016
Wondering if drugs and drinking have become the norm for high school cheer. It seems totally acceptable these days. Especially at the schools in my area. At my daughters school, a group of cheerleaders showed up to prom drunk. They of course did not get let in and I heard the police were involved but somehow these kids were still allowed to be on the team and even become captain and co-captains. I think something has to be done. It certainly does not help the sport overcome the stereotype its be given!

In 8 seasons I have never had this issue.

School policy is such that if you drink or are drunk at an official event (which cheer events like camp count as they are school sanctioned) the police have to be involved.

None of my kids want that.

Being done with cheer would be the least of their concerns.

In 8 seasons I have never had this issue.

School policy is such that if you drink or are drunk at an official event (which cheer events like camp count as they are school sanctioned) the police have to be involved.

None of my kids want that.

Being done with cheer would be the least of their concerns.

One of the girls that was caught drunk at prom who also just happened to be named our captain is also our coaches daughter.

Kids in my district definitely drink and do drugs, no matter what team they're on, or what their GPA is. It's an unfortunate culture that has developed bc we are a suburb and it is what's 'fun' is for most students. The district has done quite a bit to kind of curtail these things. For example, there is a program for those first time offenders, they can take classes, with their parents and then they avoid the legal issues and the school punishment. A girl came to a football game drunk her senior year, and she was put in the program. She is soon to be someone's kindergarten teacher. One would have be a frequent abuser to go to juvenile detention. Interestingly enough, they are less likely to suspend someone from their sport, especially if the team is not in season. There is a belief that focus on an extracurricular could curtail bad behavior.

ETA: At my school suspension doesn't mean you'll get kicked off your team. Many times it's at the coach's discretion, and it depends on how serious the offense is. Two girls, during two different seasons, were in a physical altercation and were suspended. One had to do community service, but both were allowed to stay on the team.

Another girl was involved in a cyberbullying incident, added with her history of being in trouble (out of season), she was suspended and the admins told my coach she had to cut her for the semester.

Last edited:
Hasn't been something with my team, yet, and hopefully doesn't (but I'm not gonna be too naive about it).

But rewinding the clock back to my HS days from 2001-2005, high schoolers definitely drank and did drugs. My sophomore year 95% of the varsity cheer squad got booted for football season since they got busted for drinking at a sleepover or something.

Hasn't been something with my team, yet, and hopefully doesn't (but I'm not gonna be too naive about it).

But rewinding the clock back to my HS days from 2001-2005, high schoolers definitely drank and did drugs. My sophomore year 95% of the varsity cheer squad got booted for football season since they got busted for drinking at a sleepover or something.

I think they are more tolerant about the drugs and alcohol these days. They don't get booted off the teams anymore. Maybe a suspension. I remember when my son was in high school 2004 -2008. Getting caught on school grounds you would be expelled.

Is it normal that I felt like an outsider when me and probably 3 other people on my team didn't drink/smoke? A teammate of mine (who is probably my best friend) showed up to comps hung-over. Once she was throwing up in the bathroom at a competition before warm-ups cause she was really hung-over...

Is it normal that I felt like an outsider when me and probably 3 other people on my team didn't drink/smoke? A teammate of mine (who is probably my best friend) showed up to comps hung-over. Once she was throwing up in the bathroom at a competition before warm-ups cause she was really hung-over...

I mean I was Sober Sally in HS on a team that drank and smoke. I think for me, I was able to hangout with my friends without getting involved in what they did. I had clear morals, I wasn't judgemental. No one ever made me feel bad because I wasn't into that stuff. Real friends respect you in that way.

I mean I was Sober Sally in HS on a team that drank and smoke. I think for me, I was able to hangout with my friends without getting involved in what they did. I had clear morals, I wasn't judgemental. No one ever made me feel bad because I wasn't into that stuff. Real friends respect you in that way.
I admit (yes, I admit) on having a few sips with them but that was just to fit in I guess...

The kids on my team drink. I'm sure some of them do drugs. If they are suspended by the school, there is a punishment for whatever sport they play that is across the board... Something like they are benched for 25% of the remaining games and they cannot practice while suspended. They are however kicked off for bullying. Last year we had a returner kicked off before practices had even started because of some rude, direct tweets to individuals about Powderpuff.

Honestly, I'm not your mom and I'm not your baby sitter. I'm tired of being responsible for the kids while they are at home and in their free time-it's NOT my job. If you come to a game drunk then we will have a problem, but if it has nothing to do with cheer it has nothing to do with me.

The kids on my team drink. I'm sure some of them do drugs. If they are suspended by the school, there is a punishment for whatever sport they play that is across the board... Something like they are benched for 25% of the remaining games and they cannot practice while suspended. They are however kicked off for bullying. Last year we had a returner kicked off before practices had even started because of some rude, direct tweets to individuals about Powderpuff.

Honestly, I'm not your mom and I'm not your baby sitter. I'm tired of being responsible for the kids while they are at home and in their free time-it's NOT my job. If you come to a game drunk then we will have a problem, but if it has nothing to do with cheer it has nothing to do with me.

100% agree! I think substance abuse issues hint at a larger problem. How are you getting alcohol, what is making you want to go to school under the influence. Our district rather figure out that issue than punish someone.

Bullying is cruel. Bullying affects other people. It almost always relates back to school. In the incident I mentioned, another athlete was benched in all pre-season workouts with his team because of his involvement. Half of the seniors my team sophomore were benched their last game because of a twitter altercation with another teammate.

I think they are more tolerant about the drugs and alcohol these days. They don't get booted off the teams anymore. Maybe a suspension. I remember when my son was in high school 2004 -2008. Getting caught on school grounds you would be expelled.

I had kids get caught drinking in uniform at a football game.. cops weren't called.. they served a 10 day suspension and I was expected to put them back on the team. Forward 2 years later... girls felt I was holding a grudge b/c one wasn't a captain, and I explained that while it was in the past, everyone knew about it and it wasn't a good example.

Back