High School Drugs And Alcohol

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think they are more tolerant about the drugs and alcohol these days. They don't get booted off the teams anymore. Maybe a suspension. I remember when my son was in high school 2004 -2008. Getting caught on school grounds you would be expelled.
I've seen and heard of that still happening. All depends on the admin, coaches, kid, and parents in each situation I think.

What stinks is regardless the story, most of the time the kid who was breaking laws and rules as a student athlete, does not learn the lesson of why its bad and why they must be responsible, etc. Most of the time you see suspensions or booting from teams, which to me seems like it can create a lot of hostile feelings and possibly push that student further away straightening up and into the pools of 'bad kids' --Adults gotta take the time in the moment to teach these kids why they are being punished for their actions. It's tough but that's why we're the mentors/teachers.

I've seen and heard of that still happening. All depends on the admin, coaches, kid, and parents in each situation I think.

What stinks is regardless the story, most of the time the kid who was breaking laws and rules as a student athlete, does not learn the lesson of why its bad and why they must be responsible, etc. Most of the time you see suspensions or booting from teams, which to me seems like it can create a lot of hostile feelings and possibly push that student further away straightening up and into the pools of 'bad kids' --Adults gotta take the time in the moment to teach these kids why they are being punished for their actions. It's tough but that's why we're the mentors/teachers.
I agree to apoint. The kid breaking the laws/rules doesn't learn the lesson if there are no consequences like being removed from the team. I think if they are aware of the threat of losing their spot on the team it would be less likely they would take the risk. No consequences invites the problem.

I agree to apoint. The kid breaking the laws/rules doesn't learn the lesson if there are no consequences like being removed from the team. I think if they are aware of the threat of losing their spot on the team it would be less likely they would take the risk. No consequences invites the problem.

YES. I think kids do bad things for attention, but there are 2 kinds... 1: situations where kids push the envelope out of disrespect. 2: situations where kids are crying for help.

I agree we are to guide, but the law is the law... not saying I was an angel, I just chose my situations a little more wisely then some.

That's what I mean, if you just boot kids off the team you may not be helping them. But if you suspend them, then they're still on the team but can't participate as punishment for breaking said rule/law. We as the mentors need to make sure the mentoring still happens when they make mistakes that also violate laws. There may not be that mentor or coach to guide them through their punishment and lesson learning next time, meaning all they face is being fired or jail or whatever

That's what I mean, if you just boot kids off the team you may not be helping them. But if you suspend them, then they're still on the team but can't participate as punishment for breaking said rule/law. We as the mentors need to make sure the mentoring still happens when they make mistakes that also violate laws. There may not be that mentor or coach to guide them through their punishment and lesson learning next time, meaning all they face is being fired or jail or whatever

I understand what your saying. I really wish it was that easy. I am all for mentoring them but I don't believe that letting them stay on the team will help them learn a lesson except that maybe they are untouchable. I think what could really be happening is that that player is really needed to win. I believe it is a privilege to be on any high school team and behavior should play a huge part in that decision. I have also come to realize that more of the cheerleaders are drinking and smoking than there are not. This is because they are getting away with it.

I understand what your saying. I really wish it was that easy. I am all for mentoring them but I don't believe that letting them stay on the team will help them learn a lesson except that maybe they are untouchable. I think what could really be happening is that that player is really needed to win. I believe it is a privilege to be on any high school team and behavior should play a huge part in that decision. I have also come to realize that more of the cheerleaders are drinking and smoking than there are not. This is because they are getting away with it.

Kicking someone off the team for one mistake is harsh, especially out of season. We tend to bench because for many it's harder to dress out and sit at the end of the bench. We fear that kicking a kid with a narcotics problem would just break their spirit and force them further into whatever they're doing. If it becomes a problem, than sports should be the last thing on the student's agenda and they should go get help....

I know a lot of kids who came to events drunk/high. If they got caught they'd be a mess. Not every kid who breaks the rules is a bad kid.

Unfortunately, if it's off school grounds and not an issue of the school, I don't care. It sucks but it is what is it.

Last edited:
My coach would have never put up with like the girls would have been dismissed immediately...but so much crap happens at the school I go to if you get into a fight or get caught with drugs/alcohol the police must be involved and you WILL go to juvie or This school called Goal also it takes away prom privileges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had any necessarily get caught with it yet, but I do also have them all on our cheer teams social media pages. They've gotten careful with what they post because I do call them out on it at times, or make a mention of something they posted that wasn't "bad" but just to remind them that I'm watching. I'm not naive to the thought of them drinking, or doing drugs, especially with the town and area we are in, and seeing as high school wasn't that long ago for me and I remember those days. Our school's policy is basically you get caught at any school event or practice you're kicked off.

Back