Effects Of Social Media And Cheer Project

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by lexikae, Jan 25, 2019.

1. lexikae

lexikae Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    So one of my friends is having to write a paper and PowerPoint presentation for one of her classes she has this semester. She has chosen the topic " social media negative or positive impact on sports." She is not involved on cheer, but is wanting to include cheerleading as one of the sports she focuses on for this paper/presentation. I have offered my insight and opinions, but I think getting the opinions of more than one person it will be more insightful, instead of having just a one sided opinion on this subject.

My personal opinion on it is that social media has both a negative and positive effect on cheerleading. In some cases it's good for cheerleading to get the exposure it does, and for people to realize that it is more than "rah rah, go team go, high V, and strike a pose. But then on the other hand with the negative side, you have the cheer tumblr world( dont ever go there), the anons on twitter( yes I'm aware they are not all bad and rude.) But when it comes too degrading not only gyms, teams, but individual coaches and athletes, that's where the negative impact of social media comes into play.

2. TealArmySparkle

TealArmySparkle When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    There's a fair few negatives I can think of straight off the bat.

- The "cheerlebrity" phase that the sport went through a few years ago. Although it can gain people brand promotions, etc if they have a following it can also bring a lot of negative attention. Several of the ones from a few years back were often on the receiving end of hateful and sometimes explicit comments. With this there was also the issue of sexually explicit comments being left by individuals much older than the "cheerlebrity" on their social media profile. This can apply to any social media in general. Whilst it does not always happen, there are instances.

- Anons and "stan" culture - people tend to hide behind their computers and use the online world to say as they please. Often times negative words and rumours can be spread about teams, individuals, coaches and gyms like you have previously mentioned.

- I have also seen social media enabled for abuse of power by coaches and athletes themselves within organisations. Last year there was an issue I think with someone offering meet ups with minors and a "treasure hunt" style thing at a competition based on social media following but it was orchestrated by an adult. Whilst I think there was no malicious intent behind it (someone on the boards may be better clarifying this one as I'm a bit rubbish at remembering exact details) it did raise a lot of questions about the role of social media and the conduct adults should have around children.

- Lack of industry standards and reacting without thinking. Several companies using social media poorly and lashing out at customers for giving feedback. Whilst this is a minor complaint, there have been instances of certain accounts blocking other social media users for critiquing them or subtweeting about critiques made about them. There was discussion of this on the threads a few weeks ago about Rebel directly replying to a comment on a social media post as someone had expressed a dislike for a product (whilst it is not all black and white in that case it is still an example). There have also been a few instances with cheer accounts - big ones at that - blocking users they do not agree with. Subtweeting happened due to a post on this very board if I remember correctly.

Positives

- Solidarity in times of tragedy. The cheer community band together via social media to help members of the cheer community that are in need via campaigns all the time. A personal example was a member of my cousin's team passed away from cancer last year and a social media campaign was started to get photos of people doing the sport they love (cheer) gathered together to display at the young girl's funeral. People turned out in force across the globe to help with this request and it was one of the most moving things I have seen.

- Rule changes and petition - the IASF basket toss rule is a good example of social media pressure forcing an IASF rule change to be overturned. Gym owners also sharing the new mandate to put pressure on the USASF to put in place higher industry standards and the traction it got online is another good example of social media use in the industry.

- Whilst there is a lot of hatred online, there is also a heavy amount of support and love for other teams, gyms, coaches, etc online. Examples of sister teams, images of coaches supporting their teams, everything have been met with so much love online so the good always outweighs the bad.

Hope these could be of some use to you!

3. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think one of the positives would be that social media has allowed for idea sharing and has absolutely pushed creativity. When you’re exposed to the creativity of others it frequently can spark our own imaginations in terms of skills or choreography. I know for myself, it can be hard at lower levels to do things creatively, and seeing things others have come up with have inspired me to think outside of the box and made my kids better.

We’re able to be connected in a way that society never has been before. Seeing videos online of the truly athletic and impressive parts of our sport can help to change minds as to the athleticism and skill involved. The opposite swing of that pendulum is people being able to see the things we don’t love (some uniforms or choreography for example).

The negatives of social media in sports would be similar to the negatives of it in life. The ability to be anonymous empowers people to say things they would never verbalize to someone’s face.

4. lexikae

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    ScottyB, Care to explain why you down rated my post?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  5. lexikae

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thank you so much for the answer, and for the help! This should be very useful for her assignment!

6. lexikae

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thanks for the input and help! It us greatly appreciated.