High School Enforcing Correct Tumbling Technique In A High School Program

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What's funnier is when they leave the cheer program ill-equipped and wonder why the program isn't good/embarrasses the school at games.

What's funnier is when you're the coach, with YEARS of experience and a winning reputation, and you have one bad year and a parent asks if they can coach with you next year because they used to coach pop warner....

This is varsity, not little league, get outta my bubble

Another thing to remember, is that if a high schooler is trying to tumble for the first time ever, don't expect them to learn handsprings in a few short months. It's very hard for older athletes to learn how to tumble. Also there is always the non-tumbling division or 3.1 which caters to stronger stunters and weaker tumblers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing to remember, is that if a high schooler is trying to tumble for the first time ever, don't expect them to learn handsprings in a few short months. It's very hard for older athletes to learn how to tumble. Also there is always the non-tumbling division or 3.1 which caters to stronger stunters and weaker tumblers.

Trust me, I'm not one of those people haha. And unfortunately, not every state has a non-tumbling division. And I didn't know that there was a 3.1 division in all-star (not that I'd be taking any of my athletes to an all-star comp to compete in a school division).

Trust me, I'm not one of those people haha. And unfortunately, not every state has a non-tumbling division. And I didn't know that there was a 3.1 division in all-star (not that I'd be taking any of my athletes to an all-star comp to compete in a school division).

3.1 is a high school division as well. Maybe it's specific go out here. Idk. I assumed all high school divisions school were offered everywhere.

3.1 is a high school division as well. Maybe it's specific go out here. Idk. I assumed all high school divisions school were offered everywhere.

Dvisions, from what I know, vary depending on where you compete (HS).

Dvisions, from what I know, vary depending on where you compete (HS).

Here in AZ it's the worst - your division is determined solely by school size. It's so unfair! There's three divisions, so my poor Title I school that has barely any tumbling and 12 kids on the mat is against a school in a very well off area that has 28 athletes that all have standing tucks and generally make it to finals at UCA Nationals in Florida. I wish soooo bad there was some other way to split divisions based off talent and team size. Or at the very least, the team that wins every year should have to bump up a division. For example, in the past 20 years Cactus Shadows, the well-off school, has won state 16 times, gotten second 3 times, and gotten third 1 time. Arizona stinksssss.

Here in AZ it's the worst - your division is determined solely by school size. It's so unfair! There's three divisions, so my poor Title I school that has barely any tumbling and 12 kids on the mat is against a school in a very well off area that has 28 athletes that all have standing tucks and generally make it to finals at UCA Nationals in Florida. I wish soooo bad there was some other way to split divisions based off talent and team size. Or at the very least, the team that wins every year should have to bump up a division. For example, in the past 20 years Cactus Shadows, the well-off school, has won state 16 times, gotten second 3 times, and gotten third 1 time. Arizona stinksssss.
Yea, Virginia is the same way. No small/large or all girl/coed, just A - 6A with a max of 20 athletes for everyone.

Yea, Virginia is the same way. No small/large or all girl/coed, just A - 6A with a max of 20 athletes for everyone.

I kind of like the idea of a max number of athletes, but yeah the rest of the situation stinks. Glad to hear it's not just AZ.

That sucks! I saw a video of them at USA and they are amazing. Are the size-based divisions large enough to create breakdowns based on size?

Holy crap, imagine spending 16 years in top 3? And they're first 80% of the time?

LOL. Are they still placing like that?

No, somewhere around 2004 or 2005, they had some drama of some sort and the Brothers (who are like male nuns that run the school) put a stop to their competitive days. As it was told to me, they never really liked it anyway, but allowed it because they won all the time. Interesting fact: it's an all boys school who, under UCA rules, is allowed to recruit girls and compete a cheer team.

That sucks! I saw a video of them at USA and they are amazing. Are the size-based divisions large enough to create breakdowns based on size?

Holy crap, imagine spending 16 years in top 3? And they're first 80% of the time?

Yeah they're sooooo good. It's basically stopped being about who can win state and started being about who can get second ;) But no unfortunately it's only based on the size of your school, not the size of your cheer team, and they don't break it down any other way. Each division has about 40 schools in it, although they do separate coed and all girl, so at least there's that! At our state qualifiers this year there were 24 teams in our division I believe, with top 10 going to state.

It's an interesting system to say the least!

No, somewhere around 2004 or 2005, they had some drama of some sort and the Brothers (who are like male nuns that run the school) put a stop to their competitive days. As it was told to me, they never really liked it anyway, but allowed it because they won all the time. Interesting fact: it's an all boys school who, under UCA rules, is allowed to recruit girls and compete a cheer team.
I believe Del Val is using this to compete for St. Peter's this year at UCA. Kimmy is brilliant.

What could the Brothers have against a competitive cheer program? But maybe that's a stupid question to ask...

Yeah they're sooooo good. It's basically stopped being about who can win state and started being about who can get second ;) But no unfortunately it's only based on the size of your school, not the size of your cheer team, and they don't break it down any other way. Each division has about 40 schools in it, although they do separate coed and all girl, so at least there's that! At our state qualifiers this year there were 24 teams in our division I believe, with top 10 going to state.

It's an interesting system to say the least!
At least your divisions are deep.

Back