Evaluations

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 24, 2016
I'm going to evaluations tomorrow and I have never done all star cheer before... Can someone please explain what happens during an evaluation, what I should wear, how I should do my hair, should I wear makeup? , do we stunt during evaluations or is it all tumbling?, how long does it usually take, and do they tell you your placement right after?
Please help

At my gym, we all warmed up and stretched. Then we did tumbling. And last we did some stunts. I know most gyms make you learn a little dance at the end too. My tryout process was one day only, for an hour and a half but every gym is different. Wear something comfortable, like what you would wear to workout (shorts and a t-shirt). Put your hair up in a high pony or have it pulled back at least. My gym doesn't require any make up, I usually do light foundation and mascara but it depends on the gym. Don't wear make up if you don't feel comfortable, unless the gym has specifically stated that they want you to look a certain way. You usually won't find out your placement till anywhere from a day to weeks later depending on how big the gym is and how many people tryout. I found out a week after I tried out. Unfortunately every gyms tryout process is different but hopefully this helps a little bit!

Edit: Ultimately just have fun!! Everyone's a little nervous for tryouts but just smile and do your best :)

At my gym, we all warmed up and stretched. Then we did tumbling. And last we did some stunts. I know most gyms make you learn a little dance at the end too. My tryout process was one day only, for an hour and a half but every gym is different. Wear something comfortable, like what you would wear to workout (shorts and a t-shirt). Put your hair up in a high pony or have it pulled back at least. My gym doesn't require any make up, I usually do light foundation and mascara but it depends on the gym. Don't wear make up if you don't feel comfortable, unless the gym has specifically stated that they want you to look a certain way. You usually won't find out your placement till anywhere from a day to weeks later depending on how big the gym is and how many people tryout. I found out a week after I tried out. Unfortunately every gyms tryout process is different but hopefully this helps a little bit!

Edit: Ultimately just have fun!! Everyone's a little nervous for tryouts but just smile and do your best :)
Just have fun!! You'll love it!

I needed this info. I have my tryouts Wednesdayafternoon and we're having a movie night at the gym I'm going to (we're all out of school except for one school in our area that's not done until Friday). I'm hoping all goes well and I don't screw up badly.

cheerbailey said:
I needed this info. I have my tryouts Wednesdayafternoon and we're having a movie night at the gym I'm going to (we're all out of school except for one school in our area that's not done until Friday). I'm hoping all goes well and I don't screw up badly.
Good luck! Smile, do your best and have confidence!

I'm going to evaluations tomorrow and I have never done all star cheer before... Can someone please explain what happens during an evaluation, what I should wear, how I should do my hair, should I wear makeup? , do we stunt during evaluations or is it all tumbling?, how long does it usually take, and do they tell you your placement right after?
Please help
Maybe too late for OP (I hope it went well though :) ) but in case anyone else is looking for info, our old gym just basically ran a practice or two. They only had a couple teams and they only cut people if there was something like a serious attitude problem. I didn't watch the entire tryout for my daughter's new gym (the second night is actually tonight) but they have it over 2 days. The first night she said they did some tumbling and learned a dance. Tonight I think they are working in groups for the dance and maybe stunting and then they will evaluate tumbling individually.

Again, they are not cutting anyone, they just use it for team level and position placements. They also want to see a good coachable attitude from athletes.

First night for the new gym was just practice clothes (spandex, tshirt, cheer shoes or clean sneakers if you don't have any). Almost all the younger girls wore a bow to the first night. The older girls tended to look more like they were going to a regular practice. For tonight they told them to do "all star hair" but it didn't sound like it need to be turned up as much as normal. I would expect that it's a light tease and a bow. My daughter is 13 so she will probably wear light makeup as well. She likes that kind of thing but it's definitely not required where we go.

Both gyms would also evaluate individually with a coach if you couldn't make it to formal tryouts.

Back