All-Star Expansions, Openings, And Mergers For 2013-2014

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think what a lot of people forget is CEA has had K-Ville and Raleigh for a very long time.
All the other locations are newer. Of course they're not going to have the same caliber right away, it has to build from the bottom.
The Salem location has been open longer than Raleigh.
If they really want "the same caliber" at all gyms, they should invest in more coaches...practices where I didn't know if I would have a recently graduated HS student coaching me, or an actual coach, or even a mom.....ok shutting my mouth now.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

The Salem location has been open longer than Raleigh.
If they really want "the same caliber" at all gyms, they should invest in more coaches...practices where I didn't know if I would have a recently graduated HS student coaching me, or an actual coach, or even a mom.....ok shutting my mouth now.

Salem is in no way trying to be another Kernersville or Raleigh, and never have been. You seem very opinionated about CEA gyms, and maybe... Just maybe... A little less than "well informed". I guess Ben Pope, Brandon Hale, Dawn Hicks, etc... Are all too "young" and "inexperienced" for you? Do we use some young coaches? Yes. Are they left completely on their own with teams? No. We quite obviously have a philosophy on a couple of things that you don't agree with: 1) having gyms that are smaller, "satellite" gyms for the bigger 3, 2) taking young alums who want to coach and giving them that chance by working with kids to see if they have 'it'. It is fine for you to disagree, but lets keep it knowledgeable in here.

Salem is in no way trying to be another Kernersville or Raleigh, and never have been. You seem very opinionated about CEA gyms, and maybe... Just maybe... A little less than "well informed". I guess Ben Pope, Brandon Hale, Dawn Hicks, etc... Are all too "young" and "inexperienced" for you? Do we use some young coaches? Yes. Are they left completely on their own with teams? No. We quite obviously have a philosophy on a couple of things that you don't agree with: 1) having gyms that are smaller, "satellite" gyms for the bigger 3, 2) taking young alums who want to coach and giving them that chance by working with kids to see if they have 'it'. It is fine for you to disagree, but lets keep it knowledgeable in here.

But why not..? Why would they not push all their locations to match each other..

But why not..? Why would they not push all their locations to match each other..
I believe it's been discussed in other threads, but the general impression I got is that many of the satellite gyms provide a space for people to have a more personal, growth-inspired atmosphere where they don't necessarily have to worry about the larger travel commitment of the level 5 teams. If/when they reach that point, they can then commute to K-Vegas/Raleigh. I don't think it's that they don't want them to succeed, but if the community you're in is looking for a less cheer-or-die atmosphere, why would you force them into something else?

If every CEA location had three Worlds teams USASF would have to create a separate competition for them I think.

But in all seriousness, I remember in a previous thread someone from CEA talking about how the locations are different and not every location has the goal of having Worlds teams at all. Some of them require a less serious commitment than others time/cost wise and by having locations that are at different levels they have something that can suit everyone. Then eventually if an athlete at a satellite gym acquires level 5 skills and wants to be on a Worlds team, there are several locations they can switch to that can offer that opportunity.

While I don't know all the ins and outs because I'm not associated with CEA (anyone who is, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but this business model makes sense to me. It might be different and often misunderstood but there is definitely a market in all-star cheer for parents/kids who want to participate in all-star cheer but not at a Worlds level or even a very serious level 1-4. And in any case if they've got 10 locations and none of them are struggling they must be doing something right.

yeah, all that is like 10 pages back. cea just has a philosophy that a lot of people don't understand because it's completely different than how most programs do things. it makes a lot of sense though.

Because not all kids want that experience... The big gym, level 5 experience. They feel lost in it. We have kids that want that in those gyms too, and spend their time in our smaller gyms, waiting for the chance to get on one of those "big time" teams... And they all know they will have to travel. Our coaches and owners choose to not spread out those worlds levels teams to all our gyms, in part because they want to play an active role in the coaching of all of them.... With as spread out as our gyms are, that would be impossible. We want all our athletes to have an opportunity to do something they love in an atmosphere they can handle. Not all can handle Kernersville, and that is understandable. Kids can get a bit neurotic about everything they do in the gym being watched, because sometimes it is in our largest location. They can get a taste in a different location, then decide if they want to try it at the kville location. Less pressure, less travel, less everything. We want everyone who dreams of wearing the uniform to get the chance to, and learn from some great coaches. Think of it like baseball... There are the big league teams (level 5) where space is limited and very competitive; triple A teams (level 4) where they are a step (or an injury) away from getting "called up"; and double A, single A, and rookie league teams (levels 1-3) where kids are still learning the game. Cheer gyms are the same set up. The Yankees couldn't be the Yankees without the Norwich Navigators and Oneonta Yankees... Just like Senior Elite or SSX can't be who they are without those programs that help us teach them. The commitment level is different around those worlds teams, and the girls (and guys) know it. They see it if they are ever around Courtney, Kelly, Sarah, Ben, etc... When they are coaching them. Maybe CSP is just not willing to be hands-off enough with those high level teams... She wants to be right in there at every practice.... I truly don't know. You may see it as a flaw, but I see the pride she takes in what goes on the floor with her level 5 teams as an asset. And I know where you are going here: "She should have that pride for ALL her teams" because that is the fierceboard mantra about CSP. Let me tell you from someone who interacts with her all the time: she cares about EVERYTHING that goes out in our vast array of uniforms . Every level. Every gym. Does that mean that all our gyms are throwing out level 5 worlds teams? No. They have to show that commitment at one of the "big three", because she wants control of those teams. Watching what she did with SE between days and (along with Sarah and the other coaches) on Lady Elite as a first year team at worlds, I am not going to question her philosophies to much. My daughter wants that SE, CE, SSX kind of dream, and we are chasing it in Kernersville. The only one of the BIG gyms she is truly hands off with is Raleigh, and her sister runs it, for goodness sake. It is a family business still, and her coaching family is pretty tight.

Back