High School Experiment

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It works. Girls know when they aren't the best. I actually hated when we would do lines based on seniority because knew I was better than some of them. Same for routine formations. For years the previous coach would give seniors the front line because 'it's their senior year' but they were being outperformed by the girls in the back.

It's a hard habit to break for sure. Some girls who aren't the most talented, wait till senior year to finally feel like they're the 'top dog.' It's a way for them to feel validated---yeah I might not have my two to tuck BUT I'm a senior, I'm captain so what I say go. Bless her heart-my friend was the weakest talent wise of our grade and yet she was the most brutal when she became captain.

It's something I would slowly implement. My coach had to wait till some of the more power tripped girls had been weaned out until she could successfully start to awarding to talent v. seniority.
I don't get the "it's their senior year, so they should get [insert performance-based privilege]." If it really mattered to a senior that it is their last year, then they would be acting like it by consistently giving their best effort.

I love the idea of treating alternates as substitutes at games. Lots of teams don't view their performance/appearance at games as being as important as competitions, and that system would force them to take it more seriously because everyone wants to be seen. Remove the guarantee and I imagine kids shape up pretty quick.

I don't get the "it's their senior year, so they should get [insert performance-based privilege]." If it really mattered to a senior that it is their last year, then they would be acting like it by consistently giving their best effort.

I'm more lenient on this in the dance, or cheer (HS) formations. Some girls aren't known to sell the routine. They may want to, but don't feel like they have the chance. So why not let them have their shot in their last comp routine. I mean this happens on my college team too-letting a senior who normally holds down the fort in the back have a chance at the front rows because it's the last time. I'm not saying it NEEDS to happen or should be done for a competitive routine, but in some sense, you have earned some perks after putting in a few years on the team.

That's why I don't mind senior captains because it's a position based on leadership and maturity, often found in seniors. I know I didn't handle it well when a teammate/friend of mine was put as a captain when we were sophomores because my coach wanted non-confrontational girls in the position (?). I disagreed because to me she hadn't distinguished herself as a leader. All it did was give a very weak person some power to be very hurtful.

I love the idea of treating alternates as substitutes at games. Lots of teams don't view their performance/appearance at games as being as important as competitions, and that system would force them to take it more seriously because everyone wants to be seen. Remove the guarantee and I imagine kids shape up pretty quick.

This! I had a mother pull this on me this past season because I did not put her daughter on the competition team! Drives me bonkers!

Game lines I give seniors choice of front line or middle, so front and back but the center, they have been choosing middle to be together... and they are placed captains in the center and close to stunt groups as they are placed.... competition routine lines, based on where you are, where you are going and what the skill is. They really seem to like this and I don't have too many issues.. I know UCA camp is like oh for your games, don't focus on that, but it is their last year, they have fun together and if you are in a program like mine, the seniors get along and really bring a positive experience to the underclassmen who will get their time to shine in the middle or front line...

When it comes to routines, if you are on the comp team, your skillset is comparable, so unless you have a fab dancer or tumbler or jumper that you would like to be close to the front, all in all its based on where are you coming from, where are you going and ease of transitions.

Game lines I give seniors choice of front line or middle, so front and back but the center, they have been choosing middle to be together... and they are placed captains in the center and close to stunt groups as they are placed.... competition routine lines, based on where you are, where you are going and what the skill is. They really seem to like this and I don't have too many issues.. I know UCA camp is like oh for your games, don't focus on that, but it is their last year, they have fun together and if you are in a program like mine, the seniors get along and really bring a positive experience to the underclassmen who will get their time to shine in the middle or front line...

When it comes to routines, if you are on the comp team, your skillset is comparable, so unless you have a fab dancer or tumbler or jumper that you would like to be close to the front, all in all its based on where are you coming from, where are you going and ease of transitions.

This is how it was on my team. We had 5 seniors, 3 of us had been Varsity since freshman year and we were all real friends outside of cheerleading so being close to each other was fun and kept the game atmosphere lively and positive even when we were losing.

For game day lineup I place them based on their motions and I try to keep them close to whoever is in their stunt group. I don't go off seniority as I have some seniors whose motions look questionable (but made it based off their tumbling and stunting) while I have some juniors whose motions are extra sharp! This doesn't seem to bother anyone thankfully .

However I do have the problem of them thinking they can do whatever they like in other aspects such as showing up late for games, or after we've practice everything for games they decide they don't want to do it (mainly tumble) or only half way do it. While they may not care, the other girls do and it creates a divide between the team. It's so frustrating!!

For competition they know what's up though. They know who each other's strong points and weaknesses are, so everyone is at least on the same page in that aspect.

Placement at games is based on your performance/attendance at practice.

Front line girls: Tumbling/jumps/motions consistent when practicing. Always on time in correct practicewear. Never talking when not allowed. Not cheating warm ups or conditioning.

Middle: Reasonably consistent gameday skills. Tumbling is moderately consistent. Given corrections and is improving.

Back: Late during the week. Absent during week. Failure to perform cheers/dances to game ready standards during the week. Ex: We've been learning timeout routine and every day I tell you the same thing and every day you fail to fix.

Benched: Late during the week with no excuse. Absent during week with no excuse.

I give them the line up right before the game.

As you can see, class standing and/or alternate status do not come into play. I have had seniors in the back with sophomores or freshmen in front of them.

Then they need to be taught and come around to our idea of the definition of effort. Very specific reasons given for every "lineup" change. Great basketball coaches know never to remove an athlete from a game immediately after a turnover, missed shot, or broken play. They know to remove an athlete after lapses in judgement (technical fouls), poor body language (questioning an official, coach, or teammate), or lack of effort (standing an watching as an opponent outhustles them for a 50/50 ball). They put the substitute in and either the head coach or an assistant immediately empties the chair next to him, takes the kid who just left the game, and explains what he has to do differently next time in order to not lose his spot.

I have already begun tracking "statistics" for my cheerleaders: the number of sideline chants started, tumbling skills performed at games, jumps performed at games, etc. I am posting these and intend to use them for end-of-the-year awards.

I can see in all stars without the game atmosphere where this might not work, but I'm specifically talking about school cheer.

An example from the competitive side:

I give a instructions for a change in counts while running routine. Four out of five groups correctly make the adjustment. One person is talking while I give the instructions, and their group misses the stunt. I replace that person with a substitute. I make them stand next to me, as I give the instructions again, and I set the team going. I then explain to them the rationale behind their removal. If they own up to the fact that they weren't paying attention, I thank for their honesty, send them for water, and replace them in their position almost immediately. If they deny it, and/or continue to debate the issue, they are out for longer.

I see this as a great way to keep "alternates" involved and paying attention to what's going on in practice as well.
You are an awesome coach!

You are an awesome coach!

That may be a bit of an overstatement, but I do make a lot of effort to coach my kids as athletes. I believe a lot of important lessons are lost by the idea that for some reason cheerleading is different. Tell me how many people miss cheer practices for ridiculous reasons, especially those teams who compete and do not have alternates, or those teams that do not compete at all. Because their presence has no bearing on the outcome of the game, they do not feel that their effort is necessary in order to maintain their role. I am going to be fighting an uphill battle instituting this program, but I feel the potential rewards are worth the climb.

Back