Express Ups - Whats The Secret

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
Hello, My team is having a problem hitting express ups. We've been struggling with them season after season.
They have power, they just dont stay up. They get caught at half level and then come down or it'll hit and immediately come down.

Whats the secret ?!

Hello, My team is having a problem hitting express ups. We've been struggling with them season after season.
They have power, they just dont stay up. They get caught at half level and then come down or it'll hit and immediately come down.

Whats the secret ?!
Make sure your kids aren't overthinking it. It's a transitional stunt more than a release move (if that makes sense), so they don't have to worry about power as much as they do technique.
For the flyer make sure she is standing up on the first leg before initiating the switch. If she goes to soon it doesn't work. It's good to drill opposite leg lib show and go's to give the flyer the feeling of locking out. You can also have the flyer practice switching on a line so she knows where to place the foot so that it replaces exactly where the opposite foot was released.
For bases make sure they are releasing and catching at the same time. I usually say right after you see it pass your eyes release, catch, look (up). I also have my secondary use a wrist assist group. I feel like with a sandwich grip the top hand can often push back down on the foot when the base is more focused on the catch than keeping it up.
Back spot should make sure they aren't pushing forward on the tush. They should make a seat for the flyer with elbow at a 90 degree angle, extend the arm up and at that moment of full extension is when they should catch the regular leg ankle and pull up. Hand that's on the ankle in the load should pull up on that leg until the switch then grab just above the hand that already grabbed and pull up.
I have bases and backs drill timing without flyer several times before we actually attempt and that seems to shake some of those nerves.
Usually if they are only reaching a half (not on purpose) it means the switch happened too early.
If it is falling as soon as it hits it is most likely nerves. Switch/Express ups were a major hurdle for my team for years. So last year I decided to start them earlier and to break it down piece by piece so they could see how simple it really was. In that one practice it clicked and all 5 groups hit. I think explaining it to kids in a simple way really helps them not overthink the stunt and shakes those nerves.
Also a little trick I use is to build a really strong group, and have them try first so everyone sees that it is not only possible, but easier than they thought!

Drills for your main base and flier are key. You can start drilling free release movements on your bases by having your flier go to prep level opposite leg lib. Have the group dip on 1. On 3, the flier replaces her lib leg to a cupie on an extended position. This teaches your bases to catch a release.

For your fliers, this also teaches them to "step up" and pull through shoulders instead of driving weight in the foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back