Extended Libs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 23, 2012
I need help with my extended lib. I am pretty shaky but mostly it's just that my hip of the libbed leg pops out. I've tried everything to make my hips stay perfectly aligned but it continues to pop out. Please help!!

Practice practice practice! Repetition is the name of the lib game.
When I used to base, my flyer had this problem. Here are a couple of the things that helped her out.
Practice your libs on the ground; you can do straight floor, a can of tomato soup, stunt stand, etc. Pull a strong high V, locking your knee you to stabilize. Then pull your lib, preferably in front of a mirror, and adjust your stance as necessary. You can have a fab lib leg, but it won't matter if the stunt isn't stable. You can also practice load ins using a couch or anything else that allows you to step up, hit and come back down. At my gym we use a cheer mat, making our flyers hit positions there before they attempt it on the ground. It's extremely hard at first, especially if the mat is a soft one, but it really builds core and allows you to adjust to the feeling of being unstable.
Now for trying the stunt: In the air think of popping your opposite hip out a little (the straight one), almost like you're sitting in the air (except you're still straight, of course.) This should make your hips even out and stabilize the stunt. Also make sure that you're always sucking everything in, staying nice and hollow.
Another quick tip; make sure that your lib leg isn't pulled up too high. A lot of flyers think that it has to be perfectly level and then they often pull it even higher than that, thinking its where it should be.

A couple questions so I can narrow down when your libs not working...do you hit solid then wobble, are you going straight for a lib or blocking first, do you find your hip pops out only in libs or does this happen in stretches and other variations too?

Here's some threads about libs that might be helpful:
Extended 1-leg Stunts | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Liberties – How to be Solid | Cheerleading Daily

Keep working super hard. You're going to get them in no time!!! :)

Practice practice practice! Repetition is the name of the lib game.
When I used to base, my flyer had this problem. Here are a couple of the things that helped her out.
Practice your libs on the ground; you can do straight floor, a can of tomato soup, stunt stand, etc. Pull a strong high V, locking your knee you to stabilize. Then pull your lib, preferably in front of a mirror, and adjust your stance as necessary. You can have a fab lib leg, but it won't matter if the stunt isn't stable. You can also practice load ins using a couch or anything else that allows you to step up, hit and come back down. At my gym we use a cheer mat, making our flyers hit positions there before they attempt it on the ground. It's extremely hard at first, especially if the mat is a soft one, but it really builds core and allows you to adjust to the feeling of being unstable.
Now for trying the stunt: In the air think of popping your opposite hip out a little (the straight one), almost like you're sitting in the air (except you're still straight, of course.) This should make your hips even out and stabilize the stunt. Also make sure that you're always sucking everything in, staying nice and hollow.
Another quick tip; make sure that your lib leg isn't pulled up too high. A lot of flyers think that it has to be perfectly level and then they often pull it even higher than that, thinking its where it should be.

A couple questions so I can narrow down when your libs not working...do you hit solid then wobble, are you going straight for a lib or blocking first, do you find your hip pops out only in libs or does this happen in stretches and other variations too?

Here's some threads about libs that might be helpful:
Extended 1-leg Stunts | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Liberties – How to be Solid | Cheerleading Daily

Keep working super hard. You're going to get them in no time!!! :)
Thanks so much!! This was super helpful!

Back