Extended Teddy Bear Sits

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 8, 2015
Are these legal in level 1? I thought we could only extend stunts if connected in a pyramid. But I saw this at a local competition.

Are these legal in level 1? I thought we could only extend stunts if connected in a pyramid. But I saw this at a local competition.
Here is a link to the most updated version of the rules. You have to read everything in the section for the level you're looking at, and all of the definitions in the glossary.

http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM3/...te/Safety/docs/USASF_Rules_15-17_15-08-27.pdf

If you look at Level 1 Stunts, A.1, Example and Clarification, you will see mention of "extended v-sit." If you look in the glossary, the definition of V-Sit is: A top person’s body position when sitting in a stunt with straight legs parallel to the performing surface in a “V” position. That is, then, what you would call a "teddy bear sit." Therefore, these are legal, provided you follow the instructions in the clarification.

Bottom line - please familiarize yourself with all of the rules. They may seem complicated at first, but they actually are very specific about what is allowed and not allowed. If I had a dollar for every time I was asked by a coach if a back walkover connected to a back handspring is allowed in level 2, I would be a very rich woman, which is sad, because it is listed *specifically* in the level 2 rules as allowed (in the same way that extended v-sits are listed as specifically allowed in level 1 rules).

I've actually read over there rules several times. And know my level quite well. I know everything I'm doing in my routine is legal. However i saw this this weekend and thought it wasn't legal because: Level 1 B2 states Stunts above prep level are not allowed. A stunt may not pass above prep level. Clarification: Taking the top person above the head of the bases would be illegal. it would be more clear if the exception was listed here.

I've actually read over there rules several times. And know my level quite well. I know everything I'm doing in my routine is legal. However i saw this this weekend and thought it wasn't legal because: Level 1 B2 states Stunts above prep level are not allowed. A stunt may not pass above prep level. Clarification: Taking the top person above the head of the bases would be illegal. it would be more clear if the exception was listed here.

Here is a link to the most updated version of the rules. You have to read everything in the section for the level you're looking at, and all of the definitions in the glossary.

http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/2013 Website/Safety/docs/USASF_Rules_15-17_15-08-27.pdf

If you look at Level 1 Stunts, A.1, Example and Clarification, you will see mention of "extended v-sit." If you look in the glossary, the definition of V-Sit is: A top person’s body position when sitting in a stunt with straight legs parallel to the performing surface in a “V” position. That is, then, what you would call a "teddy bear sit." Therefore, these are legal, provided you follow the instructions in the clarification.

Bottom line - please familiarize yourself with all of the rules. They may seem complicated at first, but they actually are very specific about what is allowed and not allowed. If I had a dollar for every time I was asked by a coach if a back walkover connected to a back handspring is allowed in level 2, I would be a very rich woman, which is sad, because it is listed *specifically* in the level 2 rules as allowed (in the same way that extended v-sits are listed as specifically allowed in level 1 rules).

However, it is listed as a specifically allowed exception in the level 1 stunt rules, which is why I mentioned that you should read all of the rules. I wasn't being snarky - there are lots of things in the rules that kind of fall into a gray area, but this is not one of them.

extended teddy bears are legal, and have been legal for as long as I can remember.

Yes level

Back