All-Star Extra Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Definitely low. Our raw was several points lower than its been all year. And other teams we were against, we have competed against several times previously and theirs were super low as well. Hall B, on the other hand, one division, every single score in that division was above a 94, even like 8th place. Our top champ was barely above that. Eh, we have no room to argue because we stunk it up, lol. But I can see how teams that won could and should be super disappointed that teams in other rooms got paid with arguably less difficult routines. It is what it is.
I agree A was the lower scoring panel and B was higher scoring.

My issue with the bid system at a comp as large as NCA is that there are SO many different panels. Some score high and some score low. It makes it truly unfair to award bids based on highest score when they didnt have the same panel. To me, a fair solution would be to have a separate panel score each level division winner on monday am to determine the 2 highest scores. As it stands now we would be better off to put all level champs name into a hat and pull out 2. I also feel like wildcards maybe shouldnt get passed down but perhaps at larges should. Some of these wildcard rounds at summit have close to 40 people in them and only 8-10 AL/Paids. And teams who won NCA with wildcards got nothing if they don't have a high enough score for a paid. I would have thought they should be guaranteed an AL like the declaration stated as well but that was not the case.

Very true - having a single panel judge the top teams for the purpose of using the extra bids is a great solution. It's one of the reasons I like the US Finals and how they determine their final rankings and National Champs.

As an industry, we needed to slow down the progressions and focus on technique. I agree that has been a positive. My concern is that as we continue to put pressure on winning at all levels with such high scores that you beat other divisions for bids, we will move too far in that direction.

You said 75%? That is far closer to 100% in our area - and "having" a skill has a far higher standard than it used to. In some ways, it is already like you have to pass your 5th grade final exams before you enter the 5th grade. Soon, we will require "A"s on finals to enter that grade.

I am also very bothered by the fact that teams winning competitions is becoming far less important to them than whether their name gets called out during a webcast the following Monday night.

This.

You almost have to be Level 3 to even be considered for Level 2 because that Level 2 team is going for a Summit bid these days and the teams are being engineered to win by pulling up those who are almost beyond that level to be on it.

Ex: Watch some of the Level 1 winners from Summit. You can almost tell that those kids are probably Level 2 in terms of skill.

I think my daughter’s team’s raw score in A Hall was at least 3 points lower than any of the other Varsity comp scores they’d attended so far. They thankfully still won, but it was a definite surprise to see teams in oh let’s say B Hall scoring 97/98s. I was like wow, they really DO do cheer different here!!

Back