All-Star Favorite Parts Of Worlds 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A suggestion I've made before is to keep the top 3 per country, but take the top 2 from each country into finals. If the third team's score isn't high enough, then their spot goes to the highest scoring team that wouldn't have made finals because of the 3 per country rule. The hard part would be determining how to decide on a cutoff score...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first choice: Take the top X (10? 15?) teams based on score. Finals should be based on merit, not politics or GPS coordinates.

Second choice: From a pool of the highest-scoring teams from each country, take the top 10. Add in the top 5 scores from all remaining teams.

Last edited:
I'll admit i don't know a ton about the rules so I can't get to into it. But i like and dislike the 3 per country rule. A lot of international sports have a 2 per country rule, and I know a lot of other sports (gymnastics especially) wish to do away with it.
But what's the point of calling a competition Worlds when teams of other countries wouldn't stand a chance against US teams. You might as well call it nca 2.0
I don't think all-star cheer would ever grow past the US if some of these international teams knew they wouldn't get past pre lims.
I do get people's argument but lots of other international sports have the same kind of rule, so I don't see it as a completely unfair thing.

My first choice: Take the top X (10? 15?) teams based on score. Finals should be based on merit, not politics or GPS coordinates.

Second choice: From a pool of the highest-scoring teams from each country, take the top 10. Add in the top 5 scores from all remaining teams.

If the 3 per country rule isn't going anywhere, then my idea is similar to NCA College Nationals.

Get rid of US/Canadian/Any other potential future heavy hitting country's Trials. Prelim round everyone competes as usual. Top 3 per country automatically advance to finals. Remaining teams that scored 4th or less in the pool of teams from their country get to compete in the Champion's Cup/Nation's Cup/Whatever cool name you want to give it. They battle it out and the winner or top 5 or whatever is decided upon also get a spot in IOC/IO finals.

I think that's an extremely fair and logical way to keep the rule and the smaller countries happy, while getting those teams that are outscoring half of the teams advancing to finals into the next round of competition.

I'll admit i don't know a ton about the rules so I can't get to into it. But i like and dislike the 3 per country rule. A lot of international sports have a 2 per country rule, and I know a lot of other sports (gymnastics especially) wish to do away with it.
But what's the point of calling a competition Worlds when teams of other countries wouldn't stand a chance against US teams.
I don't think all-star cheer would ever grow past the US if some of these international teams knew they wouldn't get past pre lims.
I do get people's argument but lots of other international sports have the same kind of rule, so I don't see it as a completely unfair thing.

Other sports doing it doesn't make it fair, it makes more "normal".

The point of calling it "Worlds" is so that teams will actually attend and USASF will have money to do the things they do. If it was called "Nationals", there would be almost no reason for any team to attend.

Should "Nationals" have finals qualifications determined by which state a gym is from?

You might as well call it nca 2.0

Bite your tongue... from EVERY perspective besides being called "Worlds", NCA is head and shoulders (and chest, torso, hips, and thighs) above the USASF event.

Other sports doing it doesn't make it fair, it makes more "normal".

The point of calling it "Worlds" is so that teams will actually attend and USASF will have money to do the things they do. If it was called "Nationals", there would be almost no reason for any team to attend.

Should "Nationals" have finals qualifications determined by which state a gym is from?

Bite your tongue... from EVERY perspective besides being called "Worlds", NCA is head and shoulders (and chest, torso, hips, and thighs) above the USASF event.
Oh no I know nca is A LOT better of a competition. But if worlds was made up of a bunch of the typical US teams, then why call it worlds. If you eliminate a lot of the international teams, I don't see it as being the best in the world, i just see it as another nationals.
Now granted there's only so many international divisions, but you might as well call those something else if none of the "actual" international competition makes it past prelims. Or if the rules were changed to their disadvantage and they decide to no longer persue trying to attend.

Oh no I know nca is A LOT better of a competition. But if worlds was made up of a bunch of the typical US teams, then why call it worlds. If you eliminate a lot of the international teams, I don't see it as being the best in the world, i just see it as another nationals.
Now granted there's only so many international divisions, but you might as well call those something else if none of the "actual" international competition makes it past prelims. Or if the rules were changed to their disadvantage and they decide to no longer persue trying to attend.

I really do understand that sentiment. I guess it comes down to what you view to be the purpose of Worlds. If it is simply to determine the best team(s) on the planet (as is mostly my view) then I don't think political boundaries should factor in to the results. If you view it as a promotional festival to grow the sport (as is slightly my view) or as a profit center (which is necessary, unfortunately), then whatever encourages the most people to attend is more important.

To us (in fairness, speaking as someone mostly based out of Texas), we view NCA and Worlds as essentially our ultimate championships. Slapping "World" or "National" in the title isn't particularly relevant except for outside perception (parents, future customers, etc.). This is particularly true because of how our sport has watered-down the term "national champion".

(Our customers are pressuring us to view Summit in the same way, so ultimately we will probably add that to the list.).

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question, but is there anywhere to buy a worlds shirt online? It was my daughters first Worlds comp and we were in Jostons and they only had a small shirt area and I forgot to stop and get one. I also didn't even know about the backpacks that could be picked up at All Star (we stayed outside of Disney property). I feel bad not having any shirts or souvenirs from Worlds (except the fanny pack they got for getting a bid, which she is channeling my 80's style fashion and actually using!) I checked poshmark but it is probably too soon for kids to be selling brand new shirts. If there is a place I can buy one online that would be great!

This past year has proven that most open divisions would not be purely American-dominated. Maybe 50% American, but every open division would have multiple non-US teams if top 20 were taken.
Though I know it's not likely the 3-per-country rule will ever be done away with, I wish it would be. Great Whites, Knockout, Karma, Outlaws, Viqueens, etc. have gotten to where they are because of their desire to be the best in the world, not the best in their respective countries. The false sense of success in a division does not do the international cheerleading community any favours.

This past year has proven that most open divisions would not be purely American-dominated. Maybe 50% American, but every open division would have multiple non-US teams if top 20 were taken.
Though I know it's not likely the 3-per-country rule will ever be done away with, I wish it would be. Great Whites, Knockout, Karma, Outlaws, Viqueens, etc. have gotten to where they are because of their desire to be the best in the world, not the best in their respective countries. The false sense of success in a division does not do the international cheerleading community any favours.

As an example, IO5 finals taking top 20 (not by country) would be:
6 Canadian teams
8 American teams
4 English teams
2 Australian teams.

1. The pictures from awards, in particular Steel, wcss, bombshells and m5... gets me balling every year
2. Hit to win
3. No major major mistakes from USASF
4. The special needs team/s
5. Gianna from stars running to her mum after awards
6. That dog.... we all know who the real world champ is

Back