All-Star Favorite Parts Of Worlds 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My favorite part was definitely Nfinity winning worlds after that crazy day they had. Here's the story of that insane situation told by one of the cheerforce gym owners. (the twitter isn't the gym owner but the screenshots are from Jens post)

Here is the rest of the post where she is talking about Nfinity, figured I'd post this one too in case anyone was curious. ❤️

This past year has proven that most open divisions would not be purely American-dominated. Maybe 50% American, but every open division would have multiple non-US teams if top 20 were taken.
Though I know it's not likely the 3-per-country rule will ever be done away with, I wish it would be. Great Whites, Knockout, Karma, Outlaws, Viqueens, etc. have gotten to where they are because of their desire to be the best in the world, not the best in their respective countries. The false sense of success in a division does not do the international cheerleading community any favours.

IOLC6 top 10 would have been:

7 US
2 Canadian
1 Australian

Back the the original topic, my favorite part was seeing our small senior move on from Prelims to Semis. They're a first year worlds teams and their goal was to just *get* to worlds. Seeing their pure joy at making semis was amazing.

Second favorite part was seeing my team manage to have an amazing performance in semi finals after having an injury in warmups. With about 4 minutes left of warmups I was frantically stripping out of my clothes (I was supposed to just be coaching) and throwing my uniform on to take her place. It actually sounds quite similar to the nfinity story above - throwing my hair up in a mess of a ponytail, pulling off my engagement and wedding ring, etc.

I ended up dropping my toss lib, but I didn't have any time to warm anything up (3 basket tosses plus a coed stunt) except for the pyramid, so seeing the team stay calm and not freak out about it and pull off what was probably our best performance of the season was a highlight for sure.

On a serious note - if you have an injury in warmups why don't they stop the clock or give you any extra time?! We wasted about 2-3 minutes trying to determine the extent of her injuries (sprained/broke both feet/ankles) and what we were going to do about it.

Last edited:
On a serious note - if you have an injury in warmups why don't they stop the clock or give you any extra time?! We wasted about 2-3 minutes trying to determine the extent of her injuries (sprained/broke both feet/ankles) and what we were going to do about it.

This is sad, but I believe there are a small number of programs that would conceivably fake injuries to get more warmup time if they thought it would give them an advantage.

Last edited:
This is sad, but a few teams would conceivably fake injuries to get more warmup time if they thought it would give them an advantage.

I guess that makes sense. But even stopping the warmup clock and giving us a few minutes to evaluate the situation and then start it up again, would have been better.

This is sad, but I believe there are a small number of programs that would conceivably fake injuries to get more warmup time if they thought it would give them an advantage.

if they're not ready before warm ups, an extra 3 min on the clock isn't going to give them the worlds-winning advantage... but I see your point.

IOLC6 top 10 would have been:

7 US
2 Canadian
1 Australian

Back the the original topic, my favorite part was seeing our small senior move on from Prelims to Semis. They're a first year worlds teams and their goal was to just *get* to worlds. Seeing their pure joy at making semis was amazing.

Second favorite part was seeing my team manage to have an amazing performance in semi finals after having an injury in warmups. With about 4 minutes left of warmups I was frantically stripping out of my clothes (I was supposed to just be coaching) and throwing my uniform on to take her place. It actually sounds quite similar to the nfinity story above - throwing my hair up in a mess of a ponytail, pulling off my engagement and wedding ring, etc.

I ended up dropping my toss lib, but I didn't have any time to warm anything up (3 basket tosses plus a coed stunt) except for the pyramid, so seeing the team stay calm and not freak out about it and pull off what was probably our best performance of the season was a highlight for sure.

I know this was a serious situation for you and your team, but I find it funny how you always end up back on the mat... it's as if some "force" out there doesn't want you to completely retire as an athlete. [emoji23]

I know this was a serious situation for you and your team, but I find it funny how you always end up back on the mat... it's as if some "force" out there doesn't want you to completely retire as an athlete. [emoji23]

OMG SERIOUSLY! I tried so hard to not compete this year and it turned out that there was only one competition I wasn't on the mat for all year :rolleyes:

This was my husband's first trip to Worlds and he was sad he wouldn't see me compete. He was looking for me in front of the mat and one of the other coaches at the gym pointed at the mat and was like "she's out there!". Apparently his face was pretty funny.

My first choice: Take the top X (10? 15?) teams based on score. Finals should be based on merit, not politics or GPS coordinates.

Second choice: From a pool of the highest-scoring teams from each country, take the top 10. Add in the top 5 scores from all remaining teams.

How does it work at worlds for other sports (Swim/Dive/Gymnastics/etc) does country play a roll? Like could you be the 6th best swimmer in the worlds but not make it to finals (or whatever is the equivalent is) because top 5 were from your country? Or is it just that the highest score moves on?

How does it work at worlds for other sports (Swim/Dive/Gymnastics/etc) does country play a roll? Like could you be the 6th best swimmer in the worlds but not make it to finals (or whatever is the equivalent is) because top 5 were from your country? Or is it just that the highest score moves on?

In some other sports, you are officially representing your country. That is how ICU is set up and how it should remain. It at least makes some sense in those cases. Countries are typically sponsoring the athletes and the wins are tallied by countries.

I don't view USASF/IASF Worlds that way at all. Athletes are representing private gyms, not countries. To me, it is more like the Boston Marathon, Wimbledon, the Masters, Tour de France, Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, F1, etc. where the countries the participants are from are not particularly relevant and aren't used in the selection process.

In some other sports, you are officially representing your country. That is how ICU is set up and how it should remain. It at least makes some sense in those cases. Countries are typically sponsoring the athletes and the wins are tallied by countries.

I don't view USASF/IASF Worlds that way at all. Athletes are representing private gyms, not countries. To me, it is more like the Boston Marathon, Wimbledon, the Masters, Tour de France, Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, F1, etc. where the countries the participants are from are not particularly relevant and aren't used in the selection process.

I agree with that, but I think it will be interesting to see what worlds becomes when/if cheer goes olympic and ICU is suddenly much more important to our sport than it is now.

Off topic fact, if ICU cheer worlds from this year was at the olympics, if wouldn't even be in the top 10 of sports with the fewest number of participating countries!

Yes. In swimming you go to Trials and only the two top finishers represent the US in individual events (more for relays... up to 8 with 4 swimming prelims at Olympics and 4 in finals). You could hold the world record and finish 3rd at Trials and not represent the US at the Olympics. I believe in track it is top 3 go to Olympics (individual events)

ETA: Trials are US Trials held usually a month or so before the Olympics themselves

Yes. In swimming you go to Trials and only the two top finishers represent the US in individual events (more for relays... up to 8 with 4 swimming prelims at Olympics and 4 in finals). You could hold the world record and finish 3rd at Trials and not represent the US at the Olympics. I believe in track it is top 3 go to Olympics (individual events)

ETA: Trials are US Trials held usually a month or so before the Olympics themselves
Definitely plays a part in gymnastics too. Each country was limited to five athletes in 2016, when the US probably could have fielded two full teams of five and brought home two team medals. There's also the two per country rule in the all around finals, where even the third highest all around score can be kept out of the all around finals if the top two scores are from their same country. It kept Jordyn Weiber out of the all around competition in 2012 and Gabby Douglas out in 2016.

In short, you can be the third best overall gymnast in the world and kept out of the competition because the first and second best were on your team too. Pretty close parallel to being the fourth best overall IOC team, but kept out of finals because 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were from the US too.

Back