All-Star February 2017 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm kinda confused by this don't the music producers already get paid by the team/gym when they make the mix for the season.
Why are they so concerned with what happens after that.
For theat record, I am not a fan of mixes being protected to the point at which routine videos are being muted. It's too much. And I agree that it only makes sense to pay them for the service of mixing.

But I'm tying to figure out where mixers are coming from. Think of it like this (just trying to play Devil's advocate): when an artist puts out a single, they are paid royalties every time the song is used by another artist (e.g. as a sample or in a commercial). Or when you upload a video to YouTube and monetize it, say you have a music video playing in the background. Or just music. I mean in your proximity, e.g. you are driving and have the radio on, as opposed to having added the music in post-production. A record label possesing rights to that material can file a copyright claim against the user (greedy, IMO).

Trying my best to defend that point and I really can't. And it strikes me as hypocritical that they want to get protective now but didn't mind not tossing artists or record labels (like Sony, who sued some of them) any compensation for profiting from their work.

For theat record, I am not a fan of mixes being protected to the point at which routine videos are being muted. It's too much. And I agree that it only makes sense to pay them for the service of mixing.

But I'm tying to figure out where mixers are coming from. Think of it like this (just trying to play Devil's advocate): when an artist puts out a single, they are paid royalties every time the song is used by another artist (e.g. as a sample or in a commercial). Or when you upload a video to YouTube and monetize it, say you have a music video playing in the background. Or just music. I mean in your proximity, e.g. you are driving and have the radio on, as opposed to having added the music in post-production. A record label possesing rights to that material can file a copyright claim against the user (greedy, IMO).

Trying my best to defend that point and I really can't. And it strikes me as hypocritical that they want to get protective now but didn't mind not tossing artists or record labels (like Sony, who sued some of them) any compensation for profiting from their work.
It's not the mixers....it's still the artists and record labels. Rights need to be bought for each thing. So, you've bought the rights for the mixer to produce it. The EPs have bought rights to have it played in the arena/live stream. No one's paying for it to be on youtube. It's not greedy so much as protecting the rights of the artists who sang it, the writers who wrote it and everyone else involved. Our industry has been breaking copyright law since our existence. It was only a matter of time before we were caught. Of course, the music industry probably would've continued ignoring us if someone hadn't exaggerated how much money mixers make producing cheer music.

It's not the mixers....it's still the artists and record labels. Rights need to be bought for each thing. So, you've bought the rights for the mixer to produce it. The EPs have bought rights to have it played in the arena/live stream. No one's paying for it to be on youtube. It's not greedy so much as protecting the rights of the artists who sang it, the writers who wrote it and everyone else involved. Our industry has been breaking copyright law since our existence. It was only a matter of time before we were caught. Of course, the music industry probably would've continued ignoring us if someone hadn't exaggerated how much money mixers make producing cheer music.
I never heard about this, could you explain? Via PM is fine, if you don't want to here.

I never heard about this, could you explain? Via PM is fine, if you don't want to here.
Long story cut short. A music producer who wasn't a "name" informed the music industry that lots and lots (and lots) of money was being made by "names". (Completely exaggerated btw. Nowhere near the amount of money he told them) All of a sudden, the music industry, who was virtually ignoring us because they didn't think there was much money being made took a long hard look at us. This resulted in a few getting sued, and directly led to the rules we have in place today. In the meantime, the rat started buying licenses for covers, so that when the dust settled, he could become a "name", without doing any of the hard work. Irony is, he's still not a name.

Long story cut short. A music producer who wasn't a "name" informed the music industry that lots and lots (and lots) of money was being made by "names". (Completely exaggerated btw. Nowhere near the amount of money he told them) All of a sudden, the music industry, who was virtually ignoring us because they didn't think there was much money being made took a long hard look at us. This resulted in a few getting sued, and directly led to the rules we have in place today. In the meantime, the rat started buying licenses for covers, so that when the dust settled, he could become a "name", without doing any of the hard work. Irony is, he's still not a name.
Wow. Did the defendant get what they had expected for a settlement?

Honestly, I thought having all these custom mixes would help minimize the copyrighted videos, but it actually seems to have made it worse?

I mean, I can go back and find high quality NCA videos from years prior with mixes made of actual artists.

It's clearly about the money. What does one have to do to be on the "approved" list, and to be listed on Varsity's website? I am sure that money exchanges hands somewhere. In this activity, everything seems to be about money.

I'm kinda confused by this don't the music producers already get paid by the team/gym when they make the mix for the season.
Why are they so concerned with what happens after that.
Especially when most producers release their mixes on Soundcloud... Like why would they care about it being in a video when the mix is hard to hear

I'm just salty Andy Simon got shut down cause they always had great videos

It's clearly about the money. What does one have to do to be on the "approved" list, and to be listed on Varsity's website? I am sure that money exchanges hands somewhere. In this activity, everything seems to be about money.
I don't disagree, but I also think some people have taken advantage. No one has ever shut me down for the videos I have posted - I only post videos of teams from our gym. I would feel uncomfortable posting videos of other teams - particularly if it wasn't a great performance. When people post 40 videos of multiple teams it can cross the line of "personal use". Some of these youtube channels make money, which also can add to the gray area of what should and shouldn't be posted.

Especially when most producers release their mixes on Soundcloud... Like why would they care about it being in a video when the mix is hard to hear

I'm just salty Andy Simon got shut down cause they always had great videos

I agree. When is cheer going to cross that threshold of being public. People upload dance, football, halftime shows and other things all the time but cheer is still being held back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back