High School Final Numbers...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You have to go on the website to enter. You can technically do it from the browser on your phone, but I find the small type to be difficult to maneuver on my phone. So, I take the tally sheet my assistant tracks on, and I’ve got it down to a science. The entry is very easy after the game.

Could I suggest putting a more positive spin on it? Count several statistics and start awarding a cheerleader of the week based on stats and coach decision.

You’ll have some that want to blow up their numbers. My one girl who started over 1200 chants last year has a target on her back. She graduated and a couple of this years kids are after her record.
Already doing a cheerleader of the week! I took headshots at a game with decent weather and post them on our instagram. These kids HATE jumping with a passion but they literally all have level jumps so I don't get why they hate it so much when they're all good at them lol. I can't imagine counting anymore than jumps right now, just because I'm also recording stuff for highlight videos. My assistant is great at also catching jumps when my head is down tallying them up.

Already doing a cheerleader of the week! I took headshots at a game with decent weather and post them on our instagram. These kids HATE jumping with a passion but they literally all have level jumps so I don't get why they hate it so much when they're all good at them lol. I can't imagine counting anymore than jumps right now, just because I'm also recording stuff for highlight videos. My assistant is great at also catching jumps when my head is down tallying them up.

Yea, it's definitely hard to do. I don't have enough focus for it, because I am too involved in the game. Not completely ignoring my cheerleaders, typically directing them because they don't understand the game. You're likely to see my march down the chant line with a, "come on, this is a huge defensive position for us, keep it going."

I haven't posted here in a while. We got off to a hot start, but have had two miserable weeks back-to-back. Last week we were lined up for the presentation of colors and the national anthem, when suddenly the "chance of rain" turned into "where the hell did this monsoon come from?" I had seen the cloud, and thought "damn," but none of us were expecting the down pour. With both teams having to run the ball (it was soaked as well), the clock never really stopped and the game was close, but over quickly. This week, we had a 52-0 rout of our opponent with a running clock in the first half. Even winning a blowout is hard to cheer, and the game was over in less than 90 minutes.

Next week is a rival game and a great football team. I'm throwing the gauntlet down at practice and challenging the girls to step up to the plate. We shall see.

I just want to say that I love these stats, so please keep posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to say that I love these stats, so please keep posting!

That rival game 10 days ago was a disaster. It was also our Sadie Hawkins game, so the girls spent days learning what are basically pop warner chants. It was a bad football game all around until the fourth quarter when our football decided to turn it on and we decided to be a cheer team.

Three days ago, we set a new season high for chants in a game against our first district opponent. 126 total. Our other numbers were down a bit, but we were missing a few key athletes.

When you say you had a bad night, how many chants per quarter does that mean?

When you say you had a bad night, how many chants per quarter does that mean?

For us a bad night ranges from 80-100 chants in a football game. We don’t break it into quarters.

Some nights I have 1 or 2 kids who carry the team. Some nights they all step up to the plate.

I also have to, in my head, compare our production to the game itself (a concept that is completely lost on my assistants who don’t understand football at all). Things that impact our numbers that are out of the girls’ control:

Run-heavy offenses (clock doesn’t stop after a running play unless ball goes out of bounds or chains have to moved)

Running-clock blowouts

Games with a lot of penalties...everyone’s momentum gets stopped when the yellow hankies hit the field.

I also don’t mind low numbers during games with empty stands. My assistant says “they still have a job to do.” I would rather they learn to feed off the crowd and work the game instinctively as opposed to by some non-existent script. There’s a lot to enjoy about the psychology of a sporting event. I sincerely believe this has drastically improved our sideline performance.

Thank you so much for your reply. My daughter has been an AS cheerleader for 13 years and an HS cheerleader all 4 years. She gets SO frustrated when the captain doesn’t call cheers. At the last game the squad did 22 chants TOTAL. Yes, it was an away game and it was raining, but it was embarrassing for her. They didn’t even rally for the 2 touchdowns we got in the first half. It’s super frustrating.

Thank you so much for your reply. My daughter has been an AS cheerleader for 13 years and an HS cheerleader all 4 years. She gets SO frustrated when the captain doesn’t call cheers. At the last game the squad did 22 chants TOTAL. Yes, it was an away game and it was raining, but it was embarrassing for her. They didn’t even rally for the 2 touchdowns we got in the first half. It’s super frustrating.

Do they have some kind of rule that the captain is the only one allowed to do so? It’s expected that everyone participate on our team. That’s one of the reasons for tracking. I don’t care if it’s a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, if someone leads the team we celebrate.

I also don’t mind low numbers during games with empty stands. My assistant says “they still have a job to do.” I would rather they learn to feed off the crowd and work the game instinctively as opposed to by some non-existent script. There’s a lot to enjoy about the psychology of a sporting event. I sincerely believe this has drastically improved our sideline performance.
story of our season. Quarter 1 is great, got the small crowd behind us going and all with the atmosphere. But once play begins and our team falters, its rough.

i gave up on tracking, waiting for bball. story of my life as a jayhawk too haha

Do they have some kind of rule that the captain is the only one allowed to do so? It’s expected that everyone participate on our team. That’s one of the reasons for tracking. I don’t care if it’s a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, if someone leads the team we celebrate.

Yes, only the captain can call cheers. Not sure why, since she doesn’t even really understand football, but whatever....

Had to come revisit this thread because we have been off on a tear this year. This continues to be a driver for my kids sideline performance, and we've upped the ante again. We have a tradition of selecting from the top overall athletes in the program each year. These are kids who do it all, and in the past, it's been very subjective. This year, I wanted to make it very objective. So I have incorporated these statistics into selecting those kids, along with their mile times, fitness assessment scores, etc. They are scored in a "rotisserie scoring" format. For more details, you'll have to message me on that one. It's a bit complex and would bore the tears out of the average reader of this post. I'm posting the rankings on the office door every couple weeks so they can see where they stand and ask questions about how they can up their score.

Just in chant production alone, we have started

Game 1: 166 (team record)
Game 2: 158
Game 3: 167 (new team record)
Game 4: 128
Game 5: 146
Game 6: 192 (new team record)

We did 511 tumbling skills this past Friday night. Our team was locked into an offensive shootout, and several girls decided in the last quarter to do a standing tuck for every point we scored. So one of them knocked out 51 tucks, and another said, "to hell with it," and pushed herself out to 90.

Also of note greater than 90% of the team has participated in a stunt in some way, shape, fashion or form, in every game. Which is abnormally high for us.

Ok, serious question, how are you fitting in over 100 chants (and 192?!??) in a game?

Third quarter, when our band is on break, we can get 25-30 chants in, but not in a quarter that they are playing. We’d have to spend the entire game on offense (our band doesnt play when we have the ball) and our football team isn’t that good. ;)

Ok, serious question, how are you fitting in over 100 chants (and 192?!??) in a game?

Third quarter, when our band is on break, we can get 25-30 chants in, but not in a quarter that they are playing. We’d have to spend the entire game on offense (our band doesnt play when we have the ball) and our football team isn’t that good. ;)

So this game was a bit bizarre.

First, neither team brought their defense, final score 81-51. That makes for a long game 3 1/2 hours from start to finish, including a first quarter that was almost 45 minutes long.

Our band only plays during timeouts and between quarters. We tend to do a chant anyway, because they rarely play any of the three songs we know a dance to (although we have a new band director and we are working on that).

The band leaves at some point during the second quarter to prepare for their halftime show, and they sit out the entire third quarter because they need a “break.”

We pretty much run the show, and this was a special environment as it was the last game in our current stadium. New stadium will hopefully be done before our next home game.

Back