Finding Rec Coaches

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 11, 2014
I'm in charge of our Rec Cheer Program and I have several parents volunteering to coach but would love to get some younger (16 and up) girls to come in and coach. I think the younger more experienced coaches will help to inspire the younger girls more. I've emailed the local schools, gymnastics facilities and all star gyms and I'm not having much luck. Does anyone have any thoughts on what else I can do?

Do you have a nearby high school program willing to work with you?

When cp was still doing pop warner it was not uncommon for teams to have a student advisor that would help. The trick in making it work was ensuring the parent and SA communicated and neither was super bossy and just tried to dominate the other

**What if Simon Cowell was a cheer judge and gave live feedback when they were done? [emoji33]**

Yes, definitely check your local high schools. Lots of students need service hours to graduate. You can frame it as a way to get those service hours and have fun coaching!

Beware though... I've had issues with junior coaches because many of them aren't mature enough to understand how to interact with the athletes. Some of them try to befriend the older athletes, others speak out of hand, others are discouraging. Specifically, I had a high school alum help my middle school team for a few practices, and she was constantly questioning their ability to do the stunts I was teaching. I heard murmurings from athletes that she was saying things like "This is too hard" and "They'll never be able to do this." She didn't return after a few practices, but I was planning on asking her not to come back.

Just set your expectations from the beginning and be sure to communicate with the junior coaches to praise them for a job well done, as well as correct them when they're doing something incorrect.

Back