Flag Competition Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 23, 2014
Hello everyone. I coach a small town youth cheer team. I have a list of cheers we use during the season at football games but would love to have help coming up with a cheer to teach my girls to be used at competition. We only compete with other area youth groups in our league. In other words it's a small simple competition. My girls placed first last year in the flag division but it was my first year and I'd like to hold on to that title and be better then last year. I'm working on my 8 count sheet to send in for music and am trying to come up with a good cheer now. The division I coach this year is flag as well. ( I will move every 2 years as my daughter does.) the are made up of 5-7 year olds. ( kinder through 1st unless my coordinator sends me a few peewee girls for competition) so I need something that they can learn. The is the cheer we used in our routine last year....

L---- ( clap) raiders ( clap)
We are the best
Packed with power ( clap)
Ready to win (clap)
This raider spirit
Will never
Give in.

I would like to come up with something better this year. It could also be a few lines longer. Last year my coordinator told me a month before competition that I was the one that made the routine and cheer. Which lead to a rushed few weeks. But in the end I was able to make something up that my girls could learn in the short time given. This year, ( my second year coaching) I know how things work and plan to be better prepared. Any suggestions on a cheer or any part of the routine would be appreciated. My girls are allowed to stunt but not to extension and no basket tosses. We also aren't allowed to do back handsprings in my division. The girls that can are moved up with the jr /sr girls to form a large mixed group. Thanks

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My CP did rec cheer at this age, and they were fairly successful at competition. Where their team had the edge was the ability to do multiple formation changes. Most of the other teams that age were only teaching one or toe formations, and we did 4 in a 2 min routine. Also, we used an audience participation cheer that went over really well. The parents all knew about it, and did really well. It was a
" when we say. ------- you say -----" type cheer. They did an intro on their own and did this part at the end.

My CP did rec cheer at this age, and they were fairly successful at competition. Where their team had the edge was the ability to do multiple formation changes. Most of the other teams that age were only teaching one or toe formations, and we did 4 in a 2 min routine. Also, we used an audience participation cheer that went over really well. The parents all knew about it, and did really well. It was a
" when we say. ------- you say -----" type cheer. They did an intro on their own and did this part at the end.

Thank you for the suggestions. A more crowd involved cheer is a great idea. I could even get some signs. Thanks. Our routine is 1:30. Last year we had 2 formation changes and then two stunt times. One of which I had my round offs and cartwheel girls tumble. I'll have to see what I could do to have more formations. Maybe during the dance or something. Thank you again for the input.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions. I more crowd evolved cheer is a great idea. I could even get some signs. Thanks. Our routine is 1:30. Last year we had 2 formation changes and then two stunt times. One of which I had my round offs and cartwheel girls tumble. I'll have to see what I could do to have more formations. Maybe during the dance or something. Thank you again for the input.

A shift during dance would definitely be good. An easy way to do it with little ones is to flex out an existing formation or to do a row swap. A minute thirty is tight for 4 formations. I think 3 would do it. Maybe an opening and 2 during dance? Tumbling during stunts is a great way to do it. Do you have any walkovers? They look really good coming through in between stunt groups. Do you do a jump section? Another easy formation change is to jump- tumble- jump. Like toe touch, outside of the pyramid forward rolls to a line while everyone else adjusts the a 3 jump combo.

A shift during dance would definitely be good. An easy way to do it with little ones is to flex out an existing formation or to do a row swap. A minute thirty is tight for 4 formations. I think 3 would do it. Maybe an opening and 2 during dance? Tumbling during stunts is a great way to do it. Do you have any walkovers? They look really good coming through in between stunt groups. Do you do a jump section? Another easy formation change is to jump- tumble- jump. Like toe touch, outside of the pyramid forward rolls to a line while everyone else adjusts the a 3 jump combo.

I had one girl last year that could do a walk over. But I am unsure if she will be moving up this year or not. We start our season and practice on the 31st. This Thursday so I'll have more of a idea then. Last year I had a jump in the cheer and one in the dance but that was it. I love your jump and forward roll idea to change up formations. I'll have to YouTube that to get different ideas of how I could work that with my girls and different formations. Thank you.

If you are looking for shout out chants, check out my article here:

Shout Out Chants

I also have load of other cheer and chant articles, too. Feel free to have a nosey around and see if you can find one to fit.
Good luck!
Christy

Latest posts

Back