Flyer To Base Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2015
I'm on a small j3 this year. I initially thought I might get to fly (and I still might), but the chances of me basing in most of the routine are pretty likely because there are a lot of little girls on my team (who are great flyers). I will probably be a base, and I'm kind of weak. I will need to learn how to base libs and other level 3 stunts really well. Honestly, I'm kind of scared to base just because the thought of putting someone's life in my hands is scary! I've only really based preps and extensions before, and I'm only about 4'10. Any tips for building strength (even though my flyer will be roughly 50-70 lbs) and getting over the fear of being knocked in the face?

The best thing for any of this (considering you have a light flyer) is going to be experience, being willing to get in there and do it will do a lot to work past those fears. Is there a time at your gym where you can just cone in and stunt outside of practice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have access to free weights, try doing some strength training like bicep curls. Also, remember to use your legs, and not your back, when you are basing!

Though my area of fear is the mental side, the physical can't be overlooked- making sure she's getting good training and starting with the basics is important. Even if she progress quickly, make sure she understands how she's executing each stunt. Fears can develop if there is lack of certainty about what their doing in a situation that is perceived to be dangerous. You can search for my previous posts on mental choreography- this may be helpful as she's learning.

Back