College Flying Is Scary!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 22, 2014
Any advice on how to not be scared in the air? I'm trying out for my college team and i learned how to fly coed last night. (I've never cheered before, just dance, tumbling, & gymnastics.) i can do it okay but it is terrifying and i just wanna look at the ground!

Any advice on how to not be scared in the air? I'm trying out for my college team and i learned how to fly coed last night. (I've never cheered before, just dance, tumbling, & gymnastics.) i can do it okay but it is terrifying and i just wanna look at the ground!
Y0u look down, you go down.

I was terrified of flying when I first started in college. You learn to trust yourself and your bases and it gets easier, I promise. Just stay tight, look up, breathe and try to relax. :) Just like anything else, it takes practice.

ETA: I just realized you said you were flying coed. I think it's EASIEST to learn to fly coed. Your job is literally just to stay tight and "be a statue." Don't balance, don't adjust, just focus on squeezing and looking straight forward.

Definitely what @retiredl5cheer said, "Look down, go down"
Some other things to think about:
-Pretend you are a backwards woody (from toy story) doll. You have a pull string on your sternum. Someone is pulling up on your while you fly, roll your shoulders back and relax up there. Yes it is scary and new, but its fun!
-Pull up on your toes, all 5 of them, this will keep you 'flat' and help you feel more stable
-Do not balance at all, just stand there
-Keep at it, the more air time you have, the more comfortable you will feel, which will mean you can learn more skills

Congrats on making the team- if you still find you're scared as you continue to learn, try visualizing the skills mentally in addition to working on them physically. This helps to create muscle memory and confidence.

Back