All-Star For Us Moms Who "judge" From The Stands...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Wait...what??? You print and take your own scoresheets?? How have I NEVER thought of that??? LOL... usually I jot down my own notes, usually assigning a + or - or = for teams. I will record "big" things like stunt fall/bobble/tumble error. I don't do percentages, but I can usually predict our ranking but have never tried to predict the actual point totals. I do HOWEVER always have my color-coded performance order sheet!

Just gonna say that the additional $500 a season it would cost for my husband and other child to attend competitions to watch our CP is cost prohibitive. That doesn't include travel costs, that's just to get them in the door...its not because we don't love her and wouldn't love for us all to be there...its just that we love her enough to want to send her to college too. ;)
It's usually just me bc dh is at home with the other 2 taking them to their activities. We have to divide and conquer! The only time we would all go to a comp together is if it's a driveable one-day. And even then it would be dragging my 8 y.o. non-cp who would lose it as soon as the iPad died. DH has taken cp to one two-day last year because I had a party I had to attend, and he will probably be taking her to Myrtle Beach this year bc it's the same weekend as my cousin's wedding (please note, cp is not attending wedding but the competition. Priorities!)

Wait...what??? You print and take your own scoresheets?? How have I NEVER thought of that??? LOL... usually I jot down my own notes, usually assigning a + or - or = for teams. I will record "big" things like stunt fall/bobble/tumble error. I don't do percentages, but I can usually predict our ranking but have never tried to predict the actual point totals. I do HOWEVER always have my color-coded performance order sheet!
Created my own, printed, lined up in order of performance and tabbed by division in my notebook. Even have a pencil pouch with markers and stickies if I need them :)

For the record, I don't try to hit their point totals, I just try to be consistent in what I consider a technique score and catch dedications and figure if I'm consistent I should at least come out close to the right placements regardless of the actual score.

The hash marks are easy for me for deductions though. I have little boxes for where to record them based on what they are..bobble, major fall etc...and the deduction value next to it, so I just multiply and add up the deduction totals when they're done. It works well.

:)

Created my own, printed, lined up in order of performance and tabbed by division in my notebook. Even have a pencil pouch with markers and stickies if I need them :)

For the record, I don't try to hit their point totals, I just try to be consistent in what I consider a technique score and catch dedications and figure if I'm consistent I should at least come out close to the right placements regardless of the actual score.

The hash marks are easy for me for deductions though. I have little boxes for where to record them based on what they are..bobble, major fall etc...and the deduction value next to it, so I just multiply and add up the deduction totals when they're done. It works well.

:)

You should upload an example!

I'm the mom at the front of the floor screaming my head off or in the stands taking notes & cheering on other squads. I believe in the 12 years of my 3 CP's life I've missed 1 One performance when my oldest was seven years old she is now 16 and still prefer i stay & watch her during practices.

Just gonna say that the additional $500 a season it would cost for my husband and other child to attend competitions to watch our CP is cost prohibitive. That doesn't include travel costs, that's just to get them in the door...its not because we don't love her and wouldn't love for us all to be there...its just that we love her enough to want to send her to college too. ;)

Exactly. Until this season, I've tried to go to every competition. But with a schedule that includes five trips that involve multiple nights out-of-town, we have to be more judicious. I'll probably go to two of those comps, three at most - but probably not all five. Between my son's activities and the finances involved with that many multi-day trips, it's simply impractical for me to attend every far-flung competition we attend this year.

That being said, if it's within reasonable day-long driving distance, I'll be there. :)

You should upload an example!
Here they are: Like I said I take the grid and then put it into a mini score sheet that makes sense to me that I can work from during a competition. This is what that is. It's NOT updated for the grid changes because I haven't looked at it since last season. If it was a two day comp i'd do one page per team (since there are two grids on each) if it was a one day I'd just do one team after another.

If I had time I filled in the team names ahead of time in their performance order so I just flipped from one page to the next (which you'll see on one of these which was the last time I messed with it before the last competition). You're welcome to DL it and edit and fix it for yourself if you find that helpful. I'd keep these on the right side of my notebook (i'm right handed) and the left side which would be the back of the page before it, was where i kept my running "order of awards" as each team went.

It worked for me. I got pretty good at it by the time I finished up last season. I learned quickly to video my own kids performance and go back and score from the video because (since that's the routine i know, and I knew where the problems were, or where my kids were) i'd get distracted looking for one thing rather than watching the WHOLE team - so I video when they're live and watch what I want, then go back and score on this sheet from the video. Works well.

Here you go: (hoping the links work, the button is grayed out for some reason so I'm jsut posting the actual link)

CHEERSPORT Grid 11-12
CHEERSPORT.docx - Google Drive

Varsity Grid 11-12
Varsity Grid.docx - Google Drive

Universal Spirit Grid 11-12
Universal Spirit.docx - Google Drive

Here they are: Like I said I take the grid and then put it into a mini score sheet that makes sense to me that I can work from during a competition. This is what that is. It's NOT updated for the grid changes because I haven't looked at it since last season. If it was a two day comp i'd do one page per team (since there are two grids on each) if it was a one day I'd just do one team after another.

If I had time I filled in the team names ahead of time in their performance order so I just flipped from one page to the next (which you'll see on one of these which was the last time I messed with it before the last competition). You're welcome to DL it and edit and fix it for yourself if you find that helpful. I'd keep these on the right side of my notebook (i'm right handed) and the left side which would be the back of the page before it, was where i kept my running "order of awards" as each team went.

It worked for me. I got pretty good at it by the time I finished up last season. I learned quickly to video my own kids performance and go back and score from the video because (since that's the routine i know, and I knew where the problems were, or where my kids were) i'd get distracted looking for one thing rather than watching the WHOLE team - so I video when they're live and watch what I want, then go back and score on this sheet from the video. Works well.

Here you go: (hoping the links work, the button is grayed out for some reason so I'm jsut posting the actual link)

CHEERSPORT Grid 11-12
CHEERSPORT.docx - Google Drive

Varsity Grid 11-12
Varsity Grid.docx - Google Drive

Universal Spirit Grid 11-12
Universal Spirit.docx - Google Drive

Thank you for sharing!! These are great and my inner (ok, outer) geek thanks you too!! Can't wait for comp season to start. :)

Thank you for sharing!! These are great and my inner (ok, outer) geek thanks you too!! Can't wait for comp season to start. :)
I keep saying in my current state of malcontent.....I'm just burned out entirely.....that I'm not scoring anything this year but, I know me. Ill probably do (at least) my kids divisions just because I can't keep well enough alone :)

Don't forget to update them. I haven't done that yet. And the little boxes piled on top of each other. On my sheet the little boxes for stunt and tumbling deductions are imbedded in the categories. For abbreviation help, O= omission, b=bobble, f=fall, m=major

Be happy to share. I have my own grids for cheersport, varsity and universal spirit although I haven't updated any of them for 2012-2013 yet.

I think I might take you up on that. We don't have any Cheersport comps scheduled, but I'd take the Varsity grid for sure....we have at least half a dozen comps on the Varsity scoresheet! Thanks!

I think I might take you up on that. We don't have any Cheersport comps scheduled, but I'd take the Varsity grid for sure....we have at least half a dozen comps on the Varsity scoresheet! Thanks!
I linked them up a few posts back. I posted my cheersport, varsity and universal spirit grids from last year.

I don't get to watch our divisions because I'm always in warm ups or awards or something. I LOVE the moms that track our divisions and give me their opinions. Now I'm thinking I need to train some of them to "judge" and actually score so we can get an even better prediction hahaha.
I wish it worked like that! I have had parents jot down notes of all of the teams in our divisions at times just to see what I really don't get a chance to see... I don't need opinions, i just want to know what was good or bad about the teams in divisions.....:fro:

I have found that twitter updating during comps becomes a fairly accurate accounting system and many coaches would start to follow for the divisions I have done in the past.

The shorthand we came up with (there is a thread on here) works well for scoring as well.

sb = stunt bobble
sd = stunt drop
tt = tumble touch
tb = tumble bust
pb = pyramid bobble
pd - pyramid drop

if you add the number of each (i.e. 2sb 1 sd 3 tb) then it's a fairly easy scoring reference to compare the number of deductions teams will get. Now compare levels of difficulty and how clean a team hits and you can get a fairly accurate comparison of teams without being too complicated. I won't be twitter updating any more but this system was pretty widely used.

Hope it helps

I have found that twitter updating during comps becomes a fairly accurate accounting system and many coaches would start to follow for the divisions I have done in the past.

The shorthand we came up with (there is a thread on here) works well for scoring as well.

sb = stunt bobble
sd = stunt drop
tt = tumble touch
tb = tumble bust
pb = pyramid bobble
pd - pyramid drop

if you add the number of each (i.e. 2sb 1 sd 3 tb) then it's a fairly easy scoring reference to compare the number of deductions teams will get. Now compare levels of difficulty and how clean a team hits and you can get a fairly accurate comparison of teams without being too complicated. I won't be twitter updating any more but this system was pretty widely used.

Hope it helps
I tell ya, that does help! There are many times at competitions my phone for whatever reason, just doesn't work alot.. Stinking Sprint:) I really need to go back to at&t!!!! I will hope its better for this season!!!!:fro:

My parents don't care about cheerleading. They believe its a waste of time and money. My mother actually went to cheersport this year, I paid for the hotel & my own airfare all she had to do was pay for her plane ticket...& she complained the entire time we were there and didn't even come watch my teams last performance or see me us win a awards. And has yet to congratulate me!

I'm completely jealous of anyone who has parents that are caring when it comes to sports.

Back