Front Walkover

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 11, 2012
Okay so I know this sounds dumb but I have never been able to do a front walkover well. And I need to better my tumbling so I thought adding front walkovers into my passes. So what drills can I do or specific things to target or work on to get a good front walkover?

I know that you don't need a backwalkover to do a frontwalkover, but it did help me get mine faster when I was learning. Also stretch your shoulders a lot. Mine would look weird sometimes because I have poor shoulder flexibility. If you are having a hard time with getting all the way over to a standing position, then try standing up from a bridge to get used to it.

i cant just do one front walkover because i almost stand up but then i just fall on my butt so if you have this problem what i do is i will do a front walkover and then add something right after like a cartwheel so i know i have to stand up to do the next skill

I can't do one either. Get into a handstand (pretty much) and fall both feet over since I don't split them fast enough. We were doing front walkovers into switch ups and we kept messing up the front walkover part since my back had a hurt wrist and couldn't support as much as I needed to load into the stunt.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

i cant just do one front walkover because i almost stand up but then i just fall on my butt so if you have this problem what i do is i will do a front walkover and then add something right after like a cartwheel so i know i have to stand up to do the next skill
My CP. has been struggling with this for months, in particular this part of it. She has finally gotten it off a raised mat in the last week or so. Adding the cartwheel after was key. It stopped to bad habit she had of pulling her arms down in front, causing her rear to drop. Pushing hard enough through her shoulders and using her abdominals to pull up were also important.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I can't do one either. Get into a handstand (pretty much) and fall both feet over since I don't split them fast enough. We were doing front walkovers into switch ups and we kept messing up the front walkover part since my back had a hurt wrist and couldn't support as much as I needed to load into the stunt.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board
CPs coach says you should never hit the handstand with feet together when doing a front walkover. Your legs should stay separated the whole time, or you will end up doing exactly what you are talking about. You should never let your trailing leg catch up.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I found my cp got ut after putting momentum in it to start. Her back walkover is slower and controlled as it is from a standstill but when she first learned her FWO she would take a few walk steps into it and "travel" a little faster over her hands so when her foot hit the ground her body wasn't dead weight. That may not be correct but hers was basically self taught that way. Now she does a pretty one from a standstill and uses it in every level 1 and 2 pass she does.

The key to the front walkover is shoulder flexibility and correct body positions. You should be looking at your hands the whole time, and push the hips forward once in the bridge (hips then chest then head/arms come up, in that order). Start by making sure you have a strong handstand, then progress to a handstand bridge (hit a handstand, arch forward into a bridge, then push hips forward while still looking at the hands and bring your chest to the ceiling). If you can do the handstand bridge, then you are ready to progress to a front walkover, which is the same idea except for your legs being in a split the entire time rather than together (see image for example: Google Image Result for http://www.cheerleadingonline.com/blog/Frontwalkover-how-to.png) .
Having a spot to assist you or a barrel to bridge over can help you get the feeling the first few times.

For front walkovers--

I taught my friend how to do one, so maybe i can help!
First, try it on a trampoline if you can. Most people have the problem of not being able to "stick" it or basically they land on their butt. So if you're problem is..
Falling on Butt?
You're probably almost there, but you need more speed/power and when your first foot hits the ground really block off your finger tips and pull your chest forward.
If you land in a bridge?
You're definitely not pushing forward enough and do NOT let your second foot meet your first. They should be split the whole time. Read the one above!

I spot my friend on the trampoline by putting one hand on her back and forcing one of legs over. I always told her when she was coming up from the walkover to "spot" something and pull yourself to it.

I need some tips myself, though. My left hand comes off the ground late and i kind of twist a bit. Any tips for that?

Back