Full On Trampoline?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

fulls take time they are extremely complex just keep working for it
Yes, very VERY complex. Its so strange, most people jump back, twist really quickly, smooth landing. I'm using the whole flip, landing while i still twist. I'm so scared i'm going to pull or tear something...

050.png

This is your set.

Yea i know, its horrible. Those were probably some of my worse.
It's fine, just a bad habit. I suggest going back to layouts and PERFECTING the set before you move on. The set is the most important part of the whole flip. Stick a post-it note at eye level on your net and watch that the entire time that you are setting. Arms go next to your ears and your HIPS (not toes or shins) rotate you.

Now here's a good visual for your body position. Stand up and pelvic thrust. Yes I'm serious. Notice when you do so how your butt automatically squeezes and your body goes forward? THAT is what you should feel in a layout. Be Michael Jackson. Set straight up, pull your hips forward, and FREEZE. That is a perfect layout.

When you're twisting, you're thinking FULL! In gymnastics, they call it a "full twisting layout" for a reason. Because it's a layout with a twist at the end. You cannot possibly land a safe full without first setting up and driving your hips forward like previously mentioned or else you will never make it all the way around. A full is: set, drive hips, turn head/drop arms/turn hips HARD sideways, FREEZE.

I hope this helps!

That means you're throwing your head and shoulders back. A good drill is to try to make a double chin in your set. Again, it sounds weird but it might help! Try to avoid any arching by keeping your hollow position - hips in line with shoulders and toes (pelvic thrust!).

On your other thread you made you said you don't have your backhandspring solid by yourself yet, which means you haven't started working on layouts. Layouts are honestly one of the hardest things to master, because if you continue to throw them with poor form (arched back, head thrown back, no set) you're not going to be able to twist. I know you want to twist so bad, but you REALLY need to perfect your layout first. I worked on my layout for a little over a year before they even started me twisting because my back arched and if your back is arched you can't twist. Please please don't start twisting before you know how. Because if you twist like that you start learning bad habits that are nearly impossible to fix once you actually start working on fulls.

On your other thread you made you said you don't have your backhandspring solid by yourself yet, which means you haven't started working on layouts. Layouts are honestly one of the hardest things to master, because if you continue to throw them with poor form (arched back, head thrown back, no set) you're not going to be able to twist. I know you want to twist so bad, but you REALLY need to perfect your layout first. I worked on my layout for a little over a year before they even started me twisting because my back arched and if your back is arched you can't twist. Please please don't start twisting before you know how. Because if you twist like that you start learning bad habits that are nearly impossible to fix once you actually start working on fulls.
Thanks for the advice!! I don't have my bhs solid on the ground. I get tips from my old tumbling coach on how to master things on the trampoline.

Thanks for the advice!! I don't have my bhs solid on the ground. I get tips from my old tumbling coach on how to master things on the trampoline.
Just remember having something on the trampoline and the ground are completely different. I can land a standing double on the trampoline but cant land a standing full on the ground

Just remember having something on the trampoline and the ground are completely different. I can land a standing double on the trampoline but cant land a standing full on the ground
Yes i know! At our gym we are taught to learn things on the trampoline for form and what not.

ok so read through this and was thinking of all of the tips I could have to help but WOW! ok so the first thing I would suggest is that you work on having a strong layout that goes up and in order to go up you need to get your arms up. Start with just good strong jumps and when you are nice and high and ready to flip make sure that you get your arms up and extend the jump to the maximum height before pulling the flip. Get comfortable with the height and then as you get a strong layout you will be able to feel the tight body toe pull. Once this is all said and done it will be time to twist I suggest that when you start your twist you remember this "all things come to those who wait" being patient is one of the most important parts of a full and even more important in doubles. You have to allow yourself to get to the top and start a strong toe pull before you twist. You want to almost pull your toes to any point between 3 and 12 "if we were using a clock to explain angle" about 1 would be the best time to start the twist. When all these steps work together and you aren't rushing into the twist you will feel the tight body twist that you are looking for and you should just trust that technique works!! Hope this helps please post more videos and I will continue to give you tips to help! Good luck

I'm pretty sure youre throwing your head back a little too much, but props to you for teaching yourself how to do those, I could never! :)

Unfortunately, I think tumbling might be just one of those things you cannot successful teach yourself! I think most of us are concerned for your safety, you could really, really, really hurt yourself when you're not aware of what to do with your body and how to do it! A great coach can talk you through the skill and be there to catch you when it goes wrong ... you can't do that for yourself! Please be safe!

Back