High School Full Out's

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
Hey everyone, I am curious to read about how everyone structures their practices to ensure proper competition readiness ?

We usually practice 2-3 days a week and then 1 3 hour on a Saturday morning.

When it comes time for full outs, how to do you do them ? What do you do when your kids don't actually do it FULL out ? How many full outs a practice do you do? Do you tell them to mark stunts but do jumps and tumbling, then when you do it again do have them mark jumps but do all stunts?

I know some people cute the routine in half - so its a full full out half way through.. then stop get water and do the second half again and then eventually build up to a 100% full out?

How do you find the time to nitpick the routine and ensure proper timing and perfection of routine?

-thanks!

I am not a coach, but I can tell you what CP's team does once we hit comp season. They do a warmup. Then work on whatever section they need to work on cleaning. Then full outs. They will run one clean mark with all jumps and motions, one with just stunts, one with just tumbling, and then 2-3 full outs, trading off with another team for rest breaks.

Hey everyone, I am curious to read about how everyone structures their practices to ensure proper competition readiness ?

We usually practice 2-3 days a week and then 1 3 hour on a Saturday morning.

When it comes time for full outs, how to do you do them ? What do you do when your kids don't actually do it FULL out ? How many full outs a practice do you do? Do you tell them to mark stunts but do jumps and tumbling, then when you do it again do have them mark jumps but do all stunts?

I know some people cute the routine in half - so its a full full out half way through.. then stop get water and do the second half again and then eventually build up to a 100% full out?

How do you find the time to nitpick the routine and ensure proper timing and perfection of routine?

-thanks!
Our days vary a lot, so this isn't concrete, but just a general overview. There's no way to type out all that we do. I know some teams work on a complete daily routine & schedule down to the minute, but I've found my kids do better switching it up and keeping it fresh each day.

We start running full outs as soon as possible. Usually the first day back from choreo camp. Those first few "full outs" are definitely watered down and have a few break counts in between, but we try to start training them in the summer for it. My favorites (their least) are stamina full outs and back to back full outs. Stamina is when they do everything BUT stunts, during all stunt counts they do frog jumps. Back to backs are just how they sound. The second the music ends they set back up and go again with no break.

We do a lot of full outs. Some practices are only full outs. I have NO patience for kids that don't when they're supposed to. My go to rule is that for anything you don't throw, you owe 5 in a row immediately following the routine. And I'm not a happy coach when we waste practice time waiting on you to throw your 5 skills. Throw it once when you're supposed to, or you get to do it 5 more times when you're tired. I've also been known to stop the music and make them all start over because of 1 girl not throwing something or stop the music and make them all do a suicide before setting back up to start again. We really don't have this issue because they learn real quick how much life can suck if they choose not to do what we ask of them.

We never mark jumps... ever! Some days if they hit so many full outs, then I will take out some part of the routine that doesn't need as much work. Usually tumbling, but sometimes its one of the stunt sequences or the pyramid. It really just depends on what the goal for the day is. If my goal is to change or clean tumbling, then that's what we'll spend a good chunk of time on.

The best way we "nitpick" or clean is to do certain sections so many times in a row. Before season and after our regional season, we spend a lot of time running sections. It starts with 3 in a row as a team and by nationals they have to hit 5 in a row. I switch up the order, but every part of the routine (excluding dance) gets done 3-5 times in a row. I have them line up the elites for example, and then we do it to music as a team. If a group drops, it doesn't count. If we have hit 4 and are going for number 5, but someone drops, then we all start over. It can get frustrating when you first start, but it helps my kids bond and work together. If you let them blame or argue it can go south quick, so as the coach you have to control the attitude and keep them in check. You also need to set the number at something realistic. If they aren't physically capable of doing it, then you're setting them up to fail and it won't work. You can start with having to hit 3 total (in a row or not.) As they get better make the goal tougher so they can rise to the challenge, just make sure they are able to! We also make competitions for the cleanest group, best performing, and so on. We also will go 1 group at a time so they can see each other, or two groups at a time to "compete" against each other.

During competition week, we warm-up however the practice room will be set up for that weekend. They get so many minutes on so many strips. Then we do our hard mark on the full floor where I make them throw anything that fell or busted on the previous mats. Then they grab a fast drink and go into "holding." They set up the floor and we go full out as if it were competition. Sometimes we have score sheets out and judge them. I try to mimic competition day as much as possible all week so they're prepped. The rest of practice is business as usual. More full outs, cleaning sections that need it. Anything that falls in our full out will get extra attention.

Full outs are a must.
Do them often and don't relent when the team complains.

I try to create a competition day routine in the sense of warming up outside/in the lobby, then the official warmup, then performing full out. Nearly everytime a full out is done, it is done in that process to train the brain that way.

When it comes to running the routine near the end of practice when it isn't safe to go full out, anything that isn't being thrown is done as a full mark to keep your brain and muscles trained. Usually for those it is all pyramids and jumps, stunts optional OR stunts and tumbling only, mark pyramids OR full cheer and only routine stunts, etc etc

Back