College ? Future Requirements Of College Cheerleaders ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At a lot of schools, cheer isn't much of a priority to the athletics department. Not only do they get a limited budget, but I've been on teams that practiced in different places every week. All that matters is that we're at the games and at events, and represent the school respectfully. Spring floor is pretty unlikely to happen :(

My CP made the transition from 10yrs of All Star (all girl) to College lg Coed by attending as many open gyms at nearby stunting colleges as possible. Coming from california....that is not many. We made many drives down to Socal and she flew out to UofL her junior yr and worked with the team for a couple days. I highly reccomend that! And as posted above, most big name prgrams have clinics throughout the year, and you can stunt with current team members regardless of experience levels. Go visit s many different programs as possible..find the "fit" that works best for you! And take every little bit of advice they give you.
I wish you luck and keeps us all posted!

Thanks, mine are still young. So, they have a while to go. I do have friends who have daughters who are Seniors in HS, who have all star cheer experience, & fulls on spring floor. So, I was curious how this all works & what the future of College Cheer might look like. It seems like it is just going to get more & more competitive. I even read Inside the Secret World of College Cheerleading. I have to say that scared me a bit, but reminded myself it is just a book.

The big difference is throwing those same tumbling and jump skills on hard floor. My cp had a roll of mat brought into the school gym and practiced there. big difference from spring floor! Another fun book to read all tho not completly accurate is Cheer the Book by Kate Togovich. Follows several highly competitive College teams from tryouts to Nationals. As for spring floors at College Nationals..I dont see it happening just due to the expense...we can all wish tho! Good Luck to your friends' girls...a fun adventure indeed.

I think all these points are perfect, especially attitude and tumbling on hard floor.

The hardest parts for a lot of allstar kids and parents to understand are, one, not everyone has a spot on a team. Unlike Allstars who don't cut, colleges cut kids, and they can cut you for any reason (attitude, skills, even appearance at some schools). Also, unlike Allstars, the overwhelming majority are thought of by their athletic departments as just spirit squad who can compete if they want to and if they're allowed to, and must fund themselves. The majority of schools have extremely small budgets for their cheerleaders and what you do when you're not as a game is not important to them. They really only care about you when you're at games. Obviously thats not true for ALL schools but the majority.

Hiyoe6, very true...making it on a team as a college cheerleader is nothing like All Stars..and that is where many Suzy cheerleaders will get the crushing reality of not making the team of their dreams. Do your homework! research each program you are interested in and check out their style and how the program is run..do they compete or do game day only? AND..if they compete what skills do you REALLY need to make the team. The skills posted is never what is being thrown by that year's current members. And as I mentioned above...visit when at all possible. There is also a wonderful resource done by a friend of mine..the CollegeCheerGuide...lot's of very important and useful info. Also, check out Youtube for recent routines from schools you are interested in..they can show you what skills are needed to make those teams and actually compete at nationals. Teams like UofL may take 100+ kids on a team..yet only 20 actually perform at nationals.....if you truely want to compete..check out a smaller program, and if game day is your thing..there are tons of lg D1A programs whose focus is on games and school spirit and not so much competing for a National Title. Imagine cheering at a game with 80,000 fans? Have fun, as I have said..quite an adventure....I'm just the cheer mom along for the ride!

I think all these points are perfect, especially attitude and tumbling on hard floor.

The hardest parts for a lot of allstar kids and parents to understand are, one, not everyone has a spot on a team. Unlike Allstars who don't cut, colleges cut kids, and they can cut you for any reason (attitude, skills, even appearance at some schools). Also, unlike Allstars, the overwhelming majority are thought of by their athletic departments as just spirit squad who can compete if they want to and if they're allowed to, and must fund themselves. The majority of schools have extremely small budgets for their cheerleaders and what you do when you're not as a game is not important to them. They really only care about you when you're at games. Obviously thats not true for ALL schools but the majority.

They can cut you at anytime. In addition you can be on the team but not make mat for nationals.

They can cut you at anytime. In addition you can be on the team but not make mat for nationals.

So True, WCDad...that is probablly the hardest for parents to get their heads around. really talented kids making the team, but not making "mat".

Not only can you not make the mat for nationals but you can make the mat at nationals 2 years in a row and then your 3rd year not make mat. So you really need the drive and passion for cheer to stick with it knowing that there is a chance you will be on the sidelines and there isn't much you can do about it.

Not only can you not make the mat for nationals but you can make the mat at nationals 2 years in a row and then your 3rd year not make mat. So you really need the drive and passion for cheer to stick with it knowing that there is a chance you will be on the sidelines and there isn't much you can do about it.

Yup, it's like this everywhere. It's too bad, but a coach will take the best 16/20 athletes and you could have been in that top number for years and suddenly, POOF, you're out.

I figured it was tough to make a team & that girls got cut. I would imagine it will be hard for girls who have done all star since they are very young, who breathe, live, & love cheer to not make a team.

Like everyone stated above, the deal breaker is tumbling. Ive seen girls who had doubles on spring freak out when they had to tumble on hard floor and not even throw a full. Its a totally different animal, technique is different. And as far as skills they are always going to be getting harder and harder for tryouts. Thats what makes cheer great, the bar is always raised year after year. But i think size for flyers will stay around the 5ft-5'3ft margin.

I really hope that college cheer eventually moves to spring floor which will once again allow doubles. If that ever happens I see it uping the tumbling standards to make several of the big time cheer schools.
I would die if I had to throw doubles in daytona. The routine I do each year in daytona is always the most difficult routine each year. I couldnt imagine being required to do the difficult stunts and pyramids and doubles in only 2:15. I would have to say I disagree and I am glad its on hard floor with single fulls. I can dig it!

How do girls get experience on hard wood floors? Can they get this experience through HS cheer? If not, what do you suggest? What is the average weight & height of college cheerleaders (flyers for Co Ed Teams)?

Back