College ? Future Requirements Of College Cheerleaders ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would die if I had to throw doubles in daytona. The routine I do each year in daytona is always the most difficult routine each year. I couldnt imagine being required to do the difficult stunts and pyramids and doubles in only 2:15. I would have to say I disagree and I am glad its on hard floor with single fulls. I can dig it!

I understand where you are coming from but I mostly want the spring floor so that it can be easier on the bodies of every athlete so if doubles were still not allowed I would be totally find with it.

How do girls get experience on hard wood floors? Can they get this experience through HS cheer? If not, what do you suggest? What is the average weight & height of college cheerleaders (flyers for Co Ed Teams)?

Well I gained my experience on hard floor through High School cheer before i went to all-stars. And It deff helped me when it came to tryouts because I had competed on hard floor and was familiar with it. But thats not the only way, I would suggest working the skills u have on spring on hard floor as soon as possible. If you have a full on spring start throwing layouts on hard floor until you feel ready to start throwing it on hard floor, and same goes with any other skill. Just mess around on it as much as possible, the biggest thing for most people is the fear factor, if u can get over that you'll be fine. And flyer size for most highly competitive teams ( such as HPU, UofL,SFA, UK, UCF) is typically under 5'3 and under 105lbs. Although it does vary depending on the girls tumbling capabilities.

Thanks, So, where should high school students go to get experience & advantages to help them have a shot at being a College Cheerleader?

First of all its important to look at what colleges they might be interested in based on their degree & cheerleading. The BEST thing a high school cheerleader can do it to attend as many collegiate cheerleading clinics as possible. College Cheer Guide has a great clinic coming up in August. There's 25 Colleges that are planning on attending, so far, with 17 of them offering scholarships! The funny thing is that everyone only thinks of schools like HPU, University of Kentucky, UCF, etc.... as schools that offer scholarships. That's just not the case. Anyone with ANY skill level can be a college cheerleader (maybe not at Kentucky), but at a college that has Football, Basketball, and probably competes. You can also find a list of schools under those categories at www.collegecheerguide.com

Hope I helped!

Kat Jones
Founder/CEO
College Cheer Guide

First of all its important to look at what colleges they might be interested in based on their degree & cheerleading. The BEST thing a high school cheerleader can do it to attend as many collegiate cheerleading clinics as possible. College Cheer Guide has a great clinic coming up in August. There's 25 Colleges that are planning on attending, so far, with 17 of them offering scholarships! The funny thing is that everyone only thinks of schools like HPU, University of Kentucky, UCF, etc.... as schools that offer scholarships. That's just not the case. Anyone with ANY skill level can be a college cheerleader (maybe not at Kentucky), but at a college that has Football, Basketball, and probably competes. You can also find a list of schools under those categories at www.collegecheerguide.com

Hope I helped!

Kat Jones
Founder/CEO
College Cheer Guide

Thanks!

Hoping more portable air floors will happen soon so we can go to doubles and three high in college. We can dream right?
I don't think pyramids will ever go to 3 high no matter what surface its on. 2 1/2 high is hard/dangerous enough.. even on spring floor! the hardest/most entertaining part of pyramids is how to get the flyer up there, not where they end up!

Back