High School Game Day Stunts/tumbling/etc.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 3, 2012
Does anyone do anything cool on the sidelines? We were thinking about making little mini routines to throw in after cheers.

I know a lot of teams do certain stunts/skills at different points of the game (timeouts, touchdowns, etc). What are your traditions?!

We weren't able to stunt on the track when I cheered, so now that I'm coaching I'm not sure what I want them to do! I really want them to be able to show off in an organized way this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MEH
Does anyone do anything cool on the sidelines? We were thinking about making little mini routines to throw in after cheers.

I know a lot of teams do certain stunts/skills at different points of the game (timeouts, touchdowns, etc). What are your traditions?!

We weren't able to stunt on the track when I cheered, so now that I'm coaching I'm not sure what I want them to do! I really want them to be able to show off in an organized way this year.

I think prime "show off" time is pre-game for football. We are working on a very organized "warm up" for our pre-game routine with the idea being that I want the crowd to see my kids look like athletes. Just like the teams do.

We started drilling and perfecting certain things that will likely be part of competition stunts early in the summer, so now we have some skills that are very very clean and those tend to be what is put on the sideline.

We have a double base hands extension section and we give the flyers signs and do a cheer with those.

We also worked quick tosses, pop offs, and a lib that steps to an extension over the summer so we made it into a cheer with signs that steps up to an extension, pops off, and then does a straight toss quick toss, and then picks up to a shoulder sit - it's not complicated but theres lots of level changes and movement going on and all the girls not stunting are spirit sprinklers and jump around/tumble.

We have a part of our state pyramid where the flyers are in extended libs with a shoulder stand behind them holding waist and they tick tock so we put those up and have them switch on a certain letter or color.

Other than that they can "free stunt" during any cheer and timeout and we occasionally do parts of our pyramid to counts. I didn't feel confident enough to put their flipping pyramid to a cheer I want them focused on whats going on.

We started drilling and perfecting certain things that will likely be part of competition stunts early in the summer, so now we have some skills that are very very clean and those tend to be what is put on the sideline.

We have a double base hands extension section and we give the flyers signs and do a cheer with those.

We also worked quick tosses, pop offs, and a lib that steps to an extension over the summer so we made it into a cheer with signs that steps up to an extension, pops off, and then does a straight toss quick toss, and then picks up to a shoulder sit - it's not complicated but theres lots of level changes and movement going on and all the girls not stunting are spirit sprinklers and jump around/tumble.

We have a part of our state pyramid where the flyers are in extended libs with a shoulder stand behind them holding waist and they tick tock so we put those up and have them switch on a certain letter or color.

Other than that they can "free stunt" during any cheer and timeout and we occasionally do parts of our pyramid to counts. I didn't feel confident enough to put their flipping pyramid to a cheer I want them focused on whats going on.

Love this!!! We've been working on a lot of the same things so this helps a lot :)

We always do a pyramid and stunt sequences, usually the ones from a previous halftime, I also put stunt sequences to different cheers so that they have that option. Other things we've started doing is making up like 2-3 8-count routines to the bands songs that they always play and/or the other music played during time outs and stuff so that they aren't just standing there. and my girls love to do what they call "the big basket toss" lol basically its my strongest backspots basing it and my smallest flyer....so she goes pretty high up there

I've read and responded to some of your other posts looking for clarification between USASF all-star rules and AACCA high school rules. Check rule 7b under pyramids at the following link.

http://www.cheerrules.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-18-School-Rules.pdf

I think you're ok if you have the top grab a wrist of the person behind her while she's being braced. It might be worth getting a clarification and being sure you're out of the "gray zone" before your state comp. You may already do this, this post was meant to be helpful.

I've read and responded to some of your other posts looking for clarification between USASF all-star rules and AACCA high school rules. Check rule 7b under pyramids at the following link.

http://www.cheerrules.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-18-School-Rules.pdf

I think you're ok if you have the top grab a wrist of the person behind her while she's being braced. It might be worth getting a clarification and being sure you're out of the "gray zone" before your state comp. You may already do this, this post was meant to be helpful.

Thanks! I had double checked the NFHS rules and thought I had it all legal. The flyers grab the brace's wrist like you would grab for a toss hands and the brace holds the waist through the whole release which would make it legal right?
We're doing it as a power press right now because I couldn't figure out the wording to know if a high to high would be legal, does it need to press even if it's braced?

Thank you!!

Thanks! I had double checked the NFHS rules and thought I had it all legal. The flyers grab the brace's wrist like you would grab for a toss hands and the brace holds the waist through the whole release which would make it legal right?
We're doing it as a power press right now because I couldn't figure out the wording to know if a high to high would be legal, does it need to press even if it's braced?

Thank you!!

No, you can top-to-top braced.

Yes, as long as you have hand/arm to hand/arm contact, I think you're ok.

Back