High School Gear Ordering

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2016
I know most of you are off the NHSCC this week, but we are actually winding down our season - which of course means planning for next season.

What does everyone do for ordering accessories? Do you do 1 big order through 1 company (like Varsity)? Do you give your kids instructions and let them buy their own? I try to be very cost-conscious because we have some low income areas in our school. But I feel like that means buying piece meal from different places, which is a lot of work for me....

Likewise, do you make your entire team get the same shoe? We have in the past, but I have kids who can afford "better" brands or perhaps want a sideline and a competition shoe and some who just need a good shoe that can be used in both. I honestly don't care if they are in the same shoe, but I didn't know what the pros/cons of that is.

I should note that I am not talking about uniforms. I know a lot of teams have to buy their uniforms. Ours are provided by our school and it isn't a replacement year anyhow.

What does everyone do for ordering accessories? Do you do 1 big order through 1 company (like Varsity)? Do you give your kids instructions and let them buy their own? I try to be very cost-conscious because we have some low income areas in our school. But I feel like that means buying piece meal from different places, which is a lot of work for me....

Likewise, do you make your entire team get the same shoe? We have in the past, but I have kids who can afford "better" brands or perhaps want a sideline and a competition shoe and some who just need a good shoe that can be used in both. I honestly don't care if they are in the same shoe, but I didn't know what the pros/cons of that is.

Most of this is totally up to you and how you like to run stuff. If you want every kid in the same pair of shoes, do it. If you just want them wearing a plain white shoe, then let them buy their own. Same goes for practice shorts and other basics for daily stuff.

I know Varsity offers (I think some other apparel companies do too) the Varsity Colors Team Stores so when it comes time for parents to pay up, they can do it on their time via a website type portal, meaning you don't have to go chasing parents for checks. Coach works with the Rep to pick out this season's needs and then the rep gets it ready for the parents to order.

I know most of you are off the NHSCC this week, but we are actually winding down our season - which of course means planning for next season.

I should note that I am not talking about uniforms. I know a lot of teams have to buy their uniforms. Ours are provided by our school and it isn't a replacement year anyhow.

We do one big order for our Varsity order (poms & briefs) & Bows (2 game, 1 comp). Girls submit an order form of what they need, and their payment. Girls will not receive these goods until they have paid (we've encountered problems in the past when we would hand out apparel before everything was paid and we would have to chase parents down).

For other accessories (team shorts, tank, t-shirt, leggings, sweatshirt, jacket, and headband) the girls go on their own to our local apparel shop and place their order (the owners daughter is alumni so she knows how to handle the orders). We set a deadline and they have to place the order by then or they are out of luck. If they don't have the appropriate attire for the given practice/game they sit.

Shoes, I let the girls chose whichever shoe they like best, and they order their own. It was our first season doing this and it made things so much easier!

***I coach in a generally well-off area; however, if any athlete/family needs assistance our boosters helps out.

I've found GTM to have the best deals/prices on bulk orders. There stuff has been quality enough to last so far.

In recent years Rebel and GTM have both received very high reviews and reports of reliability/on time and accurate orders. Shop around.

I have changed my ways on this topic so much over the years!

I used to piece items from all over to save a few dollars here and there. What I learned is that I was spending so much time and energy to find these items, and the savings weren't that great. I now save myself the headache. Campwear is done through a local printer. I do simple bows myself or have a bow company for fancier ones. Most everything else is varsity. We use them for bloomers, bodyliners, poms, shoes, bags, and warm-ups. Honestly they're a little pricy, but you can usually find a package deal to help out. To be able to have them come size everyone and be able to order from one place makes it worth it. I now think of it as the handling fee lol.

I used to care about everyone wearing the same shoe. Now, I'm a little over that. Honestly a lot of cheer shoes look the same. What has worked for us the past few years, is that I pick a shoe from varsity. I'll then select a shoe(s) from other brands that look extremely close to the varsity shoe, and if a kid prefers one of the other shoes they can get them on their own. MOST of the kids go with the varsity shoe and are done with it. There are a handful each season that will go out of their way to get the nfinity version. It works for us, and the shoes virtually look the same.

This is just what works for is... for now. Who knows, great chance I'll change my mind and ways again! I'm always looking for ideas for what works at other programs.

Back