All-Star Get This!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel as though I have heard at one of the meetings that you can make a complaint to the USASF regarding a gym not following the rules. I would imagine this is why there is such a huge push for every athlete to be registered with the USASF, all athletes have to have a birth certificate uploaded for the regional director to verify that they are the age the gym is saying they are. Which would keep a gym from putting someone who is not age eligible on the team.

things seem a little shady to me, and not just with accused gym....
It is very possible that she knew and she is not telling me. It is an in-law. Maybe they had a deal worked out. Too that I can't be sure of. I am in another state. Just wondering if this has ever been discussed and how to fix it.

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!

It is very possible that she knew and she is not telling me. It is an in-law. Maybe they had a deal worked out. Too that I can't be sure of. I am in another state. Just wondering if this has ever been discussed and how to fix it.

So, as a former gym owner, you think it is acceptable to start a thread about a gym upholding a contract that your relative knowingly signed, and then turn it into a gym bashing and accuse the gym of cheating? I hope you have proof about all of the turd you just stirred. Do you know for a fact that there were youth age kids on minis? I cant tell you how many times Susie's Mom says (and it is normally directly after the awards ceremony at a competition that Susie didn't win) "I know that girl and there is no way she is 8 years old" and it turns into "the gym that won just cheated". That is not proof!! Did you see the registration form your SIL completed? - You just admitted she as no clue about the rules - maybe she filled out the paperwork with the age she was at the time, which if she misses the cutoff by 3 months could very well have happened. We are at a new gym this year and I haven't given the gym the birth certificates yet. Maybe I put down the wrong age on the form and maybe my kids were placed on a team they are not age eligible as a result. Is this gym cheating? Not the gym's fault until they compete with them on that team. The point I am trying to make is accusing a gym of cheating on social media is SO damaging and unfair, and in some cases can not be reversed, and people need to be very careful about calling out a gym by name, which as now basically been done (even though I had to ask off line many people have posted that they know who you are referring to). As a former gym owner and USASF judge, I would think you would take the high road and place a phone call asking about your niece specifically, and then take the appropriate steps (which is not creating a thread on fierceboard BTW) if they continue to keep her on the team she is ineligible for.
As far the original purpose of this tread before it turned ugly, yes many gyms use contracts and they have every right to do so, just as we as the customer have every right to not sign them. Lesson to be learned - don't sign if it you are not prepared for the consequences. If my kids were at a gym that required full payment for the year regardless of the gym's actions, you better believe I would go somewhere else or mark up the contract to give myself and my kids some rights.

So, as a former gym owner, you think it is acceptable to start a thread about a gym upholding a contract that your relative knowingly signed, and then turn it into a gym bashing and accuse the gym of cheating? I hope you have proof about all of the turd you just stirred. Do you know for a fact that there were youth age kids on minis? I cant tell you how many times Susie's Mom says (and it is normally directly after the awards ceremony at a competition that Susie didn't win) "I know that girl and there is no way she is 8 years old" and it turns into "the gym that won just cheated". That is not proof!! Did you see the registration form your SIL completed? - You just admitted she as no clue about the rules - maybe she filled out the paperwork with the age she was at the time, which if she misses the cutoff by 3 months could very well have happened. We are at a new gym this year and I haven't given the gym the birth certificates yet. Maybe I put down the wrong age on the form and maybe my kids were placed on a team they are not age eligible as a result. Is this gym cheating? Not the gym's fault until they compete with them on that team. The point I am trying to make is accusing a gym of cheating on social media is SO damaging and unfair, and in some cases can not be reversed, and people need to be very careful about calling out a gym by name, which as now basically been done (even though I had to ask off line many people have posted that they know who you are referring to). As a former gym owner and USASF judge, I would think you would take the high road and place a phone call asking about your niece specifically, and then take the appropriate steps (which is not creating a thread on fierceboard BTW) if they continue to keep her on the team she is ineligible for.
As far the original purpose of this tread before it turned ugly, yes many gyms use contracts and they have every right to do so, just as we as the customer have every right to not sign them. Lesson to be learned - don't sign if it you are not prepared for the consequences. If my kids were at a gym that required full payment for the year regardless of the gym's actions, you better believe I would go somewhere else or mark up the contract to give myself and my kids some rights.

I have proof of everything that I stated. As for what is or not acceptable to post, I didn't realize I needed your permission. I am surprised this "turd" that has so upset you caused you to become a detective. Either way people can or cannot post. I just wondered if anyone has been in this situation before. I have taken the correct steps in fixing the situation but I had no qualms about putting this on here at all. It's a situation that can come up and hopefully rules can be put in place to keep this from happening again. Life is not all rosy and we need to bring this to light. Possibly by putting this on here, other people will learn to ask and make sure. As for lecturing on what is the high road, we see it differently and I, with all due respect, don't need permission from you. As you don't need it from me to post your comments. Free will, but in the end, this is about kids, will I call out a gym that does anything that is not in the athletes best interest? Every time I will. I wouldn't hesitate.

I have proof of everything that I stated. As for what is or not acceptable to post, I didn't realize I needed your permission. I am surprised this "turd" that has so upset you caused you to become a detective. Either way people can or cannot post. I just wondered if anyone has been in this situation before. I have taken the correct steps in fixing the situation but I had no qualms about putting this on here at all. It's a situation that can come up and hopefully rules can be put in place to keep this from happening again. Life is not all rosy and we need to bring this to light. Possibly by putting this on here, other people will learn to ask and make sure. As for lecturing on what is the high road, we see it differently and I, with all due respect, don't need permission from you. As you don't need it from me to post your comments. Free will, but in the end, this is about kids, will I call out a gym that does anything that is not in the athletes best interest? Every time I will. I wouldn't hesitate.

I have no dog in this fight, but I do want to point out that you did NOT ask if anyone had been in this situation before. You said that the owner does this all of the time. That smells like pot stirring to many people. Anyway, hope your niece doesn't have to suffer because of this gym's contract.

My old gym screwed up team placements and it was corrected before the first practice. Everyone was "OMG", but it was just a mistake. And I read every contract. Every single word and make sure I understand it. Title companies hate me. I would never sign a year contract unless I was darned sure what I was getting into.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Doesn't USASF have a reporting system for situation like these. I know at times mistakes are made by both parents and gym owners, we are all human, but if a gym continues to do this then they should be punished. Perhaps, if they are caught breaking the same rule three times in a season, after warnings are given then they are suspended from all USASF sanctioned events. I also believe that by registering athletes that it would stop things like this from happening. If they are sued, I would highly doubt that they would be considered the guilty party, there are already precedents to support their argument plus the USASF rules to support them.

I have no dog in this fight, but I do want to point out that you did NOT ask if anyone had been in this situation before. You said that the owner does this all of the time. That smells like pot stirring to many people. Anyway, hope your niece doesn't have to suffer because of this gym's contract.
You are very right. The original post didn't ask that. So yes I called out the situation. Unfortunately she is and will. The biggest issue is not the contract. Happens all the time. The point is it should stop. Why should any athlete be put on a team illegally. First to clarify, I speak only for me, I don't represent anyone but me. We all know there is no defining penalty for this procedure. It is imperative that we make rules. Not only for the sport but for the recognition. Is it pot stirring to call out someone for wrong behavior? This sport fights am uphill battle all the time from title IX, to bullying, with all hopes of fairness placed on the precept that business owners and companies will be fair. We have no written "legal" procedures for coaching, judging, etc. We have several scoring systems, although this year is getting better. The USASF reps are trying very hard. The procedure is to put a complaint in, if the party shows a birth certificate then it's not guilty. How do u know that is the right child? If we were mandated to photo ID, parents sign off then it's a start. Did I accuse, yep. Am I wrong for bringing up an issue that plagues this sport? Nope. Did I offend, sure. Is it wrong to call out? Not at all. Every business and person at some point has been called out. It happens. The point is, if it helps keep the athlete safe and out of trouble then so what. I don't apologize for stating facts.

Doesn't USASF have a reporting system for situation like these. I know at times mistakes are made by both parents and gym owners, we are all human, but if a gym continues to do this then they should be punished. Perhaps, if they are caught breaking the same rule three times in a season, after warnings are given then they are suspended from all USASF sanctioned events. I also believe that by registering athletes that it would stop things like this from happening. If they are sued, I would highly doubt that they would be considered the guilty party, there are already precedents to support their argument plus the USASF rules to support them.
Yes, but this year not paid and no way of verifying if said child is who they say they are. Little Sally could be Little Tracy.

My old gym screwed up team placements and it was corrected before the first practice. Everyone was "OMG", but it was just a mistake. And I read every contract. Every single word and make sure I understand it. Title companies hate me. I would never sign a year contract unless I was darned sure what I was getting into.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
Some areas and locations don't give options unless its sign or don't compete. Certain areas are different.

Does the contract state what team she was to be put on? If it does, then there you go. Or any documentation of what team she made?

I kind of think you could have accomplished a whole lot more if you had contacted the USASF to report what you know and then maybe even called the owner to clarify the rules that he clearly is choosing not to follow or maybe doesn't understand. Either way now it just seems like a gossipy piece of drama, when really it is a serious issue in the cheer industry. On the other hand, I guess if my team competed against them I would want to know....:confused:

For your sister in law and her athlete this feels was way more about her being promised level 3 and then feeling like she was duped into being on level 1. It does not feel like they have an issue or care about her being to old to be on a junior team.

Parents and coaches need to care and the age cut offs need to be enforced. That may mean you missed being a junior by a couple of days or being on a "World's" team by 1 day. It sucks but there has to be a cut off some where and it needs to be enforced no matter how painful it is. It may be harder for a smaller GYM to find a place for that inexperienced athlete who has aged out of juniors but if we ignore that or turn our heads, then we have no business being mad at a large gym who uses an extra cross-over here or there. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Back