All-Star Getting A Routine Competition Ready

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
How does your team prepare your routine for competition? Once you have done all the skills and have the choreography, do your coaches just make you go full out over and over again or do you break the pieces down and do them full out? How does your gym handle when the routine is just not working?

Looking forward to feedback!

Lots of fulls outs. Usually if something doesn't hit in the routine, you have to do it 1-3 times after (depending on her mood lol). We have been doing where we throw all parts of the routine, then if we hit a section perfect, we can take out the tumbling for that part. For example, if opening stunts hit and open tumbling hits no deductions, we can take out the tumbling.

We barely go full out. We just do sections a lot. Between battle and this past weekend we had only gone full out once. Prevents injuries and doesnt tire you out. Im pretty sure a lot of our teams do it this way.

ETA: usually we come into practice and warm up like we do at competitions, go full out, and then work sections of the routine.

ETA: usually we come into practice and warm up like we do at competitions, go full out, and then work sections of the routine.
This is usually what we did too. After we went full out the first time (maybe a few more) we would work on what didn't go right and then start doing full outs for a good chunk of practice.

Lately what we've been doing is warming up like we would at competition, then partially run the routine. We always do jumps and the dance, but our coach will determine what we do, like running tumbling and elites are going, everything else we mark full out (no sloppy motions or grumpy faces!) She'll change it up every time, typically adding more and more to it then we do a full out. Then we'll work on certain parts of the routine if they need work or do STUNT stuff, then at the end of practice do a few full outs when we're really tired.
If we don't hit stuff, we usually get yelled at, with the exception of the pyramid. We know we can all hit this stuff and us not hitting it is due to being sloppy with technique because we're tired. Us as a team will typically get together and give a pep talk and encourage each other to focus on technique and finish practice strong.

This is what we do. We might go full out again if it is really bad, but we useally just do competition warm-ups, a full out then do stunt throughs, tumble throughs, etc..

I have heard of teams going full out 10 times a practice and i give them a lot of credit. It woulden't work very good for us. I think you need to find out what works and just do that. Cause what one gym or team does might not work for another team in another gym.

We will come in, and then usually run to our routine music to get our bodies warm, then do a team stretch. Warm up stunts and then attempt a full out. It's not always pretty but it gets us going. Then depending on what ever looked the worst, either 1st half or 2nd half, we will run and then do the section. For example, if our main stunt is hitting, but the second stunt and pyramid isn't, we will run until the 2nd stunt and complete the rest of the routine full out. Same goes for if the first part isn't hitting, then we will complete the first section full out and run the rest. We end every practice with either a run or a full out, and then we are free to go. :)

I think, for me anyway, the more full outs we do (more so in the start of the season) the better I would feel about our up coming performance. After we really started hitting the routine, then I liked breaking it down and focusing more on certain parts.

Back