College Getting In Shape For College Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2011
I'm A Senior In High School And Will Soon Be Trying Out For College Cheer Squads. I Have A Few Questions. What Are Some Key Things I Need To Do In My Tryout Video? I'm NOT A Flyer But I Have Flown Before, But Have Gained Weight Are There Any Diets That Really Worked For You? Any Exercise Routines That Got You Into Shape Fairly Quickly? Any Food I Should Avoid Eating? Also, What Skills Should I Have? Standing Tumbling? Running Tumbling? Stunting Skills?
Thank You Very Much!

That all depends on what type of squad and school your trying out for. So its hard to give any answers unless u give more details to exactly what ur trying to accomplish.

Do your homework and check the website for the team you are looking into. They should state the requirements for the video &/or live tryouts or tell you to contact the coach for more information. There may even be past tryout videos on youtube if the program is fairly established and allows their kids to post videos.
As far as the excercising/dieting thing, there isn't going to be anything that will magically make you lose weight and be fit in a short amount of time. Eat healthly but don't go crazy trying to cut out major calories or completely change your diet. It wont work and you'll end up binge eating which is worse. Simple stuff such as cutting out soda and drinking water/milk/pure juices(look at the juice percentage on the container) instead is the right idea. Fruits and veggies and protein are always good to stick to too! As far as workouts, you should try to get back into training and conditioning consistently. Be in a tumbling class and possibly if your gym has a strength/conditioning class or flexibility class then try that as well. There are always workout DVD programs such as Insanity as well if you have the self motivation to stick to them and are willing to buy em if you want added workouts. Ultimately though there isnt a substitute for going into the gym and putting in good old sweat and hard work for jumping/stunting/tumbling/conditioning.

Back