Getting The Cheer Dad’s Involved

• Thread starter usasffederationnation
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

U

usasffederationnation

Feed Full Article...

I have a passion for getting dads more involved with their daughters, especially through cheerleading.
If you were to run into me on the street, you’d find a six foot tall, 220 pound, bald (by choice), tattooed, Harley Davidson-type guy. Not your typical cheer nut. But I got involved with cheerleading because I saw myself slowly drifting apart from my little girl.
From the day Taylor was born she was my little baby. Not just because she was the youngest of three and the only girl but because being the father of a daughter was a very different situation for me.
I was like most dads out there– relating to a son was easy: play a game, throw a ball or do any of those activities a dad and son do. But relating to my seven-year- old daughter? This was new territory.
As soon as she could walk she would meet me at the door every night after work with a big hug. Those days were easy, but as she grew, I could see the gap between us starting to grow as well. I thought to myself, ‘I have to step outside of my comfort zone and get involved as much as I can with something she loves.’
At first I focused on trying to fit in with my daughter and understand her interest in cheerleading and all that she was doing with her team. We started in recreational cheer and then moved into All Stars at SubZero Allstars, which is where her passion for cheerleading really started to grow. As our adventure blossomed and she became more involved in the cheerleading world, I grew to share her passion.
I started out as a Team Parent, a role that gave me the opportunity to interact with
both Taylor and the team. It also fed my passion for sports and what cheerleading as
a sport could do for girls in general. Most importantly, being a Team Parent helped the relationship between my daughter and I grow.
As time went on, changes were made in our gym and I was offered new opportunities, including creating a Booster Club and becoming the president.
This was a big challenge, but one I took very seriously. Despite my lack of experience, the owner of our gym entrusted me with this responsibility. We shared a common goal of opening our doors to as many girls as we could and help them reach their dreams.
After a local tragedy affected our gym very closely, I had the incredible opportunity to start a community outreach program like no other in the cheerleading world called
Elly’s Angels. Members of our gym go out in the community and volunteer in many different ways including working with a world renowned cancer research hospital, assisting Special Olympics athletes and volunteering with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
I have seen girls transform in front of my eyes and conduct life-altering acts of kindness and compassion. These experiences have taught me many lessons about life and the amazing things our young ladies are capable of, all in the name of cheerleading.
Because of cheerleading, my daughter and I have been changed forever. She and I are in the middle of an adventure of a lifetime and we get to do it together, as best friends.
When I sit at the gym and at the competitions I see all the moms, but very few dads. Most of the fathers that I do see look like they are being dragged there or wishing they were somewhere else. My advice to all these dads in the cheer world would be this- you might not take the path that I did or end up as involved as I am, but this is a one-
way ticket and there’s only one shot in life, so make it a good one. Your daughter will be grown up and gone, married or whatever before you know it. Take advantage of every second.
If you open up your heart and mind you might find out what this crazy passion your daughter has for cheerleading is all about.
The worst that can happen is the two of you make a connection. To me it is a win-win situation.
By Thomas Thompson-Member, Parent Action Committee-USASF

b.gif

Back