All-Star Gi Pros

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The issue isn't that the coaches didn't like the bad call/score.
It was that they got no answers from the governing body when asked about the score. They were stonewalled. So they took action to be noticed by that governing body for making a mistake, from their POV.

Getting answers about scoring and judging shouldn't be a process.
But wouldn’t he have gotten the scoresheets and been able to see on his own where the differences were from Friday to Saturday? Or was he asking for an explanation on why certain things were lower and that was what he wasn’t getting?

The issue isn't that the coaches didn't like the bad call/score.
It was that they got no answers from the governing body when asked about the score. They were stonewalled. So they took action to be noticed by that governing body for making a mistake, from their POV.

Getting answers about scoring and judging shouldn't be a process.

Ultimately, it would be for the coaches to take the action, not expect the team to forfeit - like in the above mentioned sports, the coaches don't get answers from the refs/umpires/judges ALL THE TIME. The coaches want to get 'thrown out of the game' or whatever, that's up to them.

But wouldn’t he have gotten the scoresheets and been able to see on his own where the differences were from Friday to Saturday? Or was he asking for an explanation on why certain things were lower and that was what he wasn’t getting?
I believe he said it was the lack of explanation.

Ultimately, it would be for the coaches to take the action, not expect the team to forfeit - like in the above mentioned sports, the coaches don't get answers from the refs/umpires/judges ALL THE TIME. The coaches want to get 'thrown out of the game' or whatever, that's up to them.
While true. Some coaches do it for their team/athletes to get them fired up enough give an edge towards victory. Which happened in this case, that routine while awk was hype!

It seems in this case (based on the statement from the coach on FB) that a group decision was agreed upon because many were unhappy by a lack of an answer. I agree with you that if this was a selfish decision only by the coaches that it should not be praised

I understand how base scoring is done in cheer and I still disagree with it. In gymnastics, their base score is based on the skill itself, not how it's performed. Their final score is based off how it's performed (deductions, etc.) So why shouldn't cheer be done the same way? a full is a full, a double is a double,

So In stunts your 1 1/2 up that is a true 1 1/2 up vs the 3/4 up where the bases walk another 3/4 while the flyer just holds her stretch and tries not to fall over while her bases are a merry go round should be scored the same

I think a code of points would be great but unless there is a definite way every skill has to be performed with little to no variation then coaches will Complain again.

So In stunts your 1 1/2 up that is a true 1 1/2 up vs the 3/4 up where the bases walk another 3/4 while the flyer just holds her stretch and tries not to fall over while her bases are a merry go round should be scored the same

I think a code of points would be great but unless there is a definite way every skill has to be performed with little to no variation then coaches will Complain again.
A well informed judge should be able to tell the difference and they should be scored as a 1-1/2 or a 3/4 with 3/4 turn. Just my opinion.

A well informed judge should be able to tell the difference and they should be scored as a 1-1/2 or a 3/4 with 3/4 turn. Just my opinion.

Oh I agree... but the definition is to look at flyers hips so a code of points will upset the CUSTOMER... which is the team... I’m just using that as an example.. much easier to establish point values for tumbling then for stunts (ESP with creativity and variety). Not arguing... but this whole post seems to boil down to transparency, the customer, etc.... once you take credit away from skills bc of how it’s done.. we have a whole new argument. It’s a lose lose Can’t please everyone!

Oh I agree... but the definition is to look at flyers hips so a code of points will upset the CUSTOMER... which is the team... I’m just using that as an example.. much easier to establish point values for tumbling then for stunts (ESP with creativity and variety). Not arguing... but this whole post seems to boil down to transparency, the customer, etc.... once you take credit away from skills bc of how it’s done.. we have a whole new argument. It’s a lose lose Can’t please everyone!

Just throwing in two cents to your response. I am from the Illinois area and anyone who is familiar knows that Illinois High School Cheer is NO JOKE! They DO NOT PLAY when it comes to the hips or release of ANY skill. I can tell you that alone puts a very bad taste in peoples mouth and they scream politics more often times than not when they are not in range. Same thing for jumps. If your jumps aren't level, it may be a spread eagle and not a toe touch. It if VERY difficult for flyers to keep their hips (Especially on the bounce) to the front, and especially on the dip these days with all these cross grips, etc.

Reminds me of a video of a S5 team I watched. They did a "full-up" but all they did was the flyer did a 1/2 up, then bases did another 1/2 walk.

Just throwing in two cents to your response. I am from the Illinois area and anyone who is familiar knows that Illinois High School Cheer is NO JOKE! They DO NOT PLAY when it comes to the hips or release of ANY skill. I can tell you that alone puts a very bad taste in peoples mouth and they scream politics more often times than not when they are not in range. Same thing for jumps. If your jumps aren't level, it may be a spread eagle and not a toe touch. It if VERY difficult for flyers to keep their hips (Especially on the bounce) to the front, and especially on the dip these days with all these cross grips, etc.

I’m with you!!

Back