All-Star Gssa, Wsf, Bubt, American Grand Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Black ops got a massive penalty for fliers not holding on long enough in rewinds. 19 points off, putting us in second based on score.

Well you guys were in first after day one, How did you not get a penalty on day 1 but you did on day 2? I would think gssa would have warned you on day 1 or 2 that your rewinds were letting go too early and if you didn't fix it, then you would be penalized. Also I'm pretty sure the penalty from gssa for a safety violation is 5% of your score, so 19 points seems a little too high. Seems a little odd to me. But if that really happened then I guess I'm wrong.

Not trying to fight, you guys are who gssa chose to give the paid bid to, so props to you for that. But in general it always seems like teams never actually beat cali..... Cali had something go "wrong"(penalty, fall, etc) but they would have won had that not happened. It just always seems like there is some excuse as to why cali doesn't get first at a comp. Maybe on that particular day at that particular comp American was the better team and they won fair and square.

Sorry for the rant and this isn't guided at you, I have felt this way for a long time now. This is just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with it.

Have a nice day.

Sadly, this isn't 100% true. I totally understand what you're saying, but the BCS point system is affected by many things (including votes) so this problem isn't just in cheerleading, although cheer is arguably one of the worst in subjectivity.
Yeah, but in all reality "Rival Saturday" this year was an anomaly all its own. I mean, a lot of seemingly unlikely things had to happen in order for Bama to fall out of that spot. The only other top contender for a national championship (FSU) is the only team that didn't have a close score that day (although we damn sure didn't play our best either). I know it's not 100% "subjective" bc of the BCS system and I get a lot of crap from my friends who love college bball instead for that reason, but their ranking system isn't that subjective. Everybody still knows Alabama is one of the top two teams in the country regardless (even if they won't admit it publicly). I haven't seen another weekend, especially rivals week, where the games were almost all nail biters. Other sports like surfing and Nascar use a cumulative point system- and they're not really that subjective.

Like you said, cheer really is the most subjective sport I can think of...(even though it's arguably one of the hardest).

Just my opinion Black Ops out skilled American and were the better team. I also thought Black Ops were better than Smoed on their day 2 performance and thought they would've gotten grand champs. So I'm assuming they did get penalized because they had such a great performance on day 2. Regardless, going into Super 6 scores for the previous 2 performances are thrown out and judges select the teams based on what teams will best represent GSSA at Worlds. Black Ops had three amazing performances and American had one on day 2. In Super 6 Black Ops had a way better performance than American. Throughout the weekend they hit more consistently, out skilled them and were much more cleaner. GSSA gave the 2 paid to the best 2 teams this past weekend. Congrats to Black Ops and Smoed.

Yeah, but in all reality "Rival Saturday" this year was an anomaly all its own. I mean, a lot of seemingly unlikely things had to happen in order for Bama to fall out of that spot. The only other top contender for a national championship (FSU) is the only team that didn't have a close score that day (although we damn sure didn't play our best either). I know it's not 100% "subjective" bc of the BCS system and I get a lot of crap from my friends who love college bball instead for that reason, but their ranking system isn't that subjective. Everybody still knows Alabama is one of the top two teams in the country regardless (even if they won't admit it publicly). I haven't seen another weekend, especially rivals week, where the games were almost all nail biters. Other sports like surfing and Nascar use a cumulative point system- and they're not really that subjective.

Like you said, cheer really is the most subjective sport I can think of...(even though it's arguably one of the hardest).

Agreed!! And as an athlete this problem is so frustrating. The scores don't reveal who the better team was. They simply tell who the judges believed performed better on that given day.

wasnt there a similar situation at WCA a few years ago involving CEA? But it was CEA that got the bid ahead of someone else that had outscored them and the EP changed the rules? Except I think CEA kept the bid?

That was different because Brandon & CEA were in different divisions. WCA didn't skip someone in a place ahead in the same division.

Has anyone heard about the Summit bids from WSF? I know UA Jacks got the paid for level 3, otherwise I've heard nothing and would love to know!

Has anyone heard about the Summit bids from WSF? I know UA Jacks got the paid for level 3, otherwise I've heard nothing and would love to know!

Varsity All Star twitter posted them for each level. You have to scroll down a little bit, but they're there.

Because of this stuff that goes on...rules changing...judges changing scores...etc this is why our sport is never going to be taken seriously... guess athletes need to take things into their own hands and give bids away;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Fierce Board mobile app

Just my opinion Black Ops out skilled American and were the better team. I also thought Black Ops were better than Smoed on their day 2 performance and thought they would've gotten grand champs. So I'm assuming they did get penalized because they had such a great performance on day 2. Regardless, going into Super 6 scores for the previous 2 performances are thrown out and judges select the teams based on what teams will best represent GSSA at Worlds. Black Ops had three amazing performances and American had one on day 2. In Super 6 Black Ops had a way better performance than American. Throughout the weekend they hit more consistently, out skilled them and were much more cleaner. GSSA gave the 2 paid to the best 2 teams this past weekend. Congrats to Black Ops and Smoed.

I'm not saying it was wrong for black ops to get the bid over American. All I am saying is American won the division, and I know that has nothing to do with who gets the paid bid.

My rant though was about even though black ops got the paid bid they couldn't let American have the win of the division, they had to have some excuse as to why they didn't win. It couldn't have been that at that particular comp the judges felt American did better based on the 2 days of performances.

I agree that black ops had great performances but I don't think they out skilled American that much. I think black ops has better tumbling but American has better stunting/ building.
But these are just my opinions and we won't know unless we see a score sheet. And even then we are at the judges discretion.

Well you guys were in first after day one, How did you not get a penalty on day 1 but you did on day 2? I would think gssa would have warned you on day 1 or 2 that your rewinds were letting go too early and if you didn't fix it, then you would be penalized. Also I'm pretty sure the penalty from gssa for a safety violation is 5% of your score, so 19 points seems a little too high. Seems a little odd to me. But if that really happened then I guess I'm wrong.

Not trying to fight, you guys are who gssa chose to give the paid bid to, so props to you for that. But in general it always seems like teams never actually beat cali..... Cali had something go "wrong"(penalty, fall, etc) but they would have won had that not happened. It just always seems like there is some excuse as to why cali doesn't get first at a comp. Maybe on that particular day at that particular comp American was the better team and they won fair and square.

Sorry for the rant and this isn't guided at you, I have felt this way for a long time now. This is just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with it.

Have a nice day.
to be honest, all of your posts make you seem like a bitter fan. not everyone is gonna agree with the judges and this happens a lot, but please just let black ops enjoy their bid.

I'm not saying it was wrong for black ops to get the bid over American. All I am saying is American won the division, and I know that has nothing to do with who gets the paid bid.

My rant though was about even though black ops got the paid bid they couldn't let American have the win of the division, they had to have some excuse as to why they didn't win. It couldn't have been that at that particular comp the judges felt American did better based on the 2 days of performances.

I agree that black ops had great performances but I don't think they out skilled American that much. I think black ops has better tumbling but American has better stunting/ building.
But these are just my opinions and we won't know unless we see a score sheet. And even then we are at the judges discretion.
I wouldn't say "excuse", I'd say "answer to everyone's question as to why the better performance both days got second". Make since?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

What makes you think black ops didn't let American "have their win"? There was a valid reason as to why black ops came in 2nd and American came in 1st. I understand your post is opinion and you don't mean to sound bitter, but that is the way it comes off.

Back