All-Star Gwcc In Atlanta Is Expaning (cheesport Venue)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

quietmom

Cheer Parent
Jul 12, 2012
Georgia World Congress Center to get bigger

The sprawling Georgia World Congress Center is about to get a lot bigger.
The downtown Atlanta convention complex broke ground on Tuesday on its first major expansion since 2002, a $55 million project that features a 100,000-square-foot exhibit hall joining the center’s B and C buildings.
Gov. Nathan Deal said the investment “reaffirms our commitment to creating a world-class experience” for visitors and conventioneers. He was echoed by William Pate, who said the construction will make the center one of five in the nation that offer one million square feet of contiguous exhibit space.
State lawmakers approved bond funding for the project, along with a vote last year to double the overall bonding capacity of the center’s authority from $200 million to $400 million. A portion of those funds will finance a luxury high-rise hotel on part of the site of the recently-demolished Georgia Dome.
GWCC officials have long said that the new gateway will help it compete with larger complexes in Chicago, Las Vegas and Orlando that can offer more contiguous space. For clients seeking that kind of space in Georgia, staffers have had to set up makeshift walkways between the two buildings.
The center estimates the gateway will have a $632 million economic impact.
At almost 3.9 million square feet, the GWCC is one of the nation’s largest convention centers. It has 1.4 million square of meeting space broken up over three buildings. Building C, its last addition, added 420,000 square feet in 2003.
State officials say the update will also fit in with long-term plans to overhaul the complex that also include the $1.6 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the 13-acre Home Depot Backyard greenspace and a possible entertainment area.

can you imagine how crazy it will be for coaches and athletes if they can't use the connecter during construction?

Last edited:
can you imagine how crazy it will be for coaches and athletes if they can't use the connecter during construction?

Maybe they won't have teams in C hall then. I'm sure that could be a nightmare though if they have to combine those teams into Hall A and B.

Exactly but I wonder if this would mean they would eventually move NCA? hmmmmm?:rolleyes:
A sincere question, but why would we move NCA due to construction at the venue that Cheersport Nationals uses? We use the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in Dallas for everything except for college nationals. Our corporate offices have been based in the Dallas area as long as I know, and NCA was literally founded in Texas. I would be EXTREMELY shocked if NCA Nationals EVER left the state of Texas.

The sheer size of that building already amazed me. Crazy to think that they are getting even bigger.

A sincere question, but why would we move NCA due to construction at the venue that Cheersport Nationals uses? We use the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in Dallas for everything except for college nationals. Our corporate offices have been based in the Dallas area as long as I know, and NCA was literally founded in Texas. I would be EXTREMELY shocked if NCA Nationals EVER left the state of Texas.

Oh I know, wishful thinking I just love the competitions at GWCC. I find it easy to navigate you don't have to exit in and out of the arenas to spectate before and/or after your CP compete just walk down this way or the other and the fact that ATL is within driving distance for us :cloud9: Now don't get me wrong but Kay Bailey/Dallas/NCA is always a fun time but if it would move to the GWCC I would love it.

And I'll thank you will all my heart not to EVER move college nationals to Dallas. I like the beach : )

And I'll thank you will all my heart not to EVER move college nationals to Dallas. I like the beach : )
I don't see them ever moving it, but it was in Dallas for several years before it moved to Florida.

Back