All-Star Gym Growth And Team Placements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
CP is at a rapidly growing gym. I think they may have doubled in size this past season. There is every reason to believe that they will continue to grow.

In past years, because of numbers, girls were sometimes placed on a higher level team than they had the skills for. Several of these kids parents were friends with the owner.

I see some of these kids at the gym and they seem to think that they will at least get on the same team as last year even though they didn't actually achieve or work toward improving their skills. Some kids even think they will be moving up, like a social promotion, because their teammates have gotten skills. In an objective assessment, some of the kids would actually be moved down a level.

I'm wondering what will happen this year given the likelihood that there will be more skill-appropriate kids to fill teams. The fact that the owner is friends with the parents makes it a sticky situation. Has anyone been at a gym that went through this? What happened?

our coach doesnt care what the parents think what team their child should be on whether its their first year or 10th year. They do what is best for a team. Personally parents should show their child how to be good athlete and be proud of the team they are on. If the parents complain, talk disrespectful to the coach it sends a message that its ok to do that. hopefully the parents will
not cause problems, but theres always some that do!

our coach doesnt care what the parents think what team their child should be on whether its their first year or 10th year. They do what is best for a team. Personally parents should show their child how to be good athlete and be proud of the team they are on. If the parents complain, talk disrespectful to the coach it sends a message that its ok to do that. hopefully the parents will
not cause problems, but theres always some that do!

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's common with small gyms for kids to be placed higher than they would at a "big" gym. You have to make due with what you have but it sets up exactly what you are saying, an assumption that their child will always be on that higher team. Our gym owner was pretty clear and mentioned it a few times in our parent meeting that no teams were guaranteed and even if you were on Jr 3 last season, it didn't mean you would be on 3 again or move up to 4/5.
Phoebe had her first practice last night with her group and said it was all solid level 3 tumblers, she's the only villager in the group. I can definitely foresee mommas mumbling that she doesn't "belong" but luckily she doesn't care and drives herself so I don't have to deal with it.

Back