All-Star Gym Hopping

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree whole-heatedly with finishing what you start and we teach our CP the same value. We have watched over the years folks come and go in the middle of a season, 2 days before a comp for various reasons, etc.

Our decision to try a another gym was done with the utmost respect. I didn't go around talking about our decision during the season at anytime. We finished the season, right. I'm guessing this is why it came as such a huge shock to some who had no idea until the end of summer.

Fast Fwd to last comp with new gym and CP was excited she would be able to see coaches/teams/kids from old gym. She got the surprise of her life, they treated her like crap, wouldn't speak to her and called her names. It hurt her feelings so much she had no idea she would be treated that way. There ignorance just created another teachable moment for us.

No loyalty in cheer or any sport for that matter.
I blame coaches and parents. Once again, no athlete owes loyalty to any one gym. If you pay then its a service. The team that treated her like that is totally ignorant of what any sports creed is. I know the USASF doesn't promote it but there isn't any punishment if it happens. If u flip it, I bet you a million dollars that the gym in question tried to recruit at a competition or during the season. What's the difference? It's not loyalty, it's being morally ethical and they should have been nice to her. I have many athletes at other gyms, I hug them, tell them I love them and take photos. It's a shame and I am sad your child had to go through that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I had the worst experience when I had to quit my first allstar gym and man did it get ugly. In my junior year of high school they gave me an ultimatum and I had to choose what I wanted to do. I was doing school cheer (where I was captain), I was training at a really high level for Canada Games, I was doing my first year of all star and I was assistant coaching a local middle school team. My parents weren't happy but they let me try to do it all. My allstar coach was a bit of a nut and was holding senior practice until 11 o'clock every other night. One day, I collapsed from exhaustion at one of my allstar practices and one of my coaches took me to the hospital. My parents told me in front of my coach that I need to choose. My coach flipped out in my hospital room and said that I needed to cheer allstar, that I need to quit my Canada games activity that I had been since long before cheer because apparently allstar came first and that I needed to go back to practice that night. Lets just they pulled me out of allstar so fast it made my coaches head spin. Later when I graduated high school, my parents offered to pay for allstar cheer if I wanted but they refused to pay if I went to the gym were my old allstar coach was coaching. When I entered my second allstar gym, I fell in love with allstar! But when I went to competition, my old allstar coach came up to me and freaked out on me and told me I was a traitor and all of my friends from my old gym refused to talk to me luckily my coach and a security guard was nearby and stopped her tirade. It was the worst experience I have ever had and I have never been so embarrassed in my entire life. But I loved my second allstar gym and they are still my family today! I really think you have to honour your commitments but if your CP is absolutely miserable and talking to your coach or gym owner isn't doing anything then its completely ok to take your cp out and start somewhere new.

I've been in cheerleading for 8 years now. My boyfriend watched me at some of my practices and one day he told me he wants to try it. He was at my gym for 2 seasons. And they he decided he wants to go to another gym. Bigger gym which have won europeans about 10 times and have been at worlds twice.
My gym (his old gym) was happy for him because they knew he has better chanses going to Worlds and become better cheerleader.
He is now stunting at his old gym almost every other week, he is welcome at his old gym everytime he step his foot in and people from his old gym are cheering for him and his team at every competition!! :)

I don't know about gym in USA but we're very good friends with all other gyms. If anyone leave the gym we understand and we're happy for him. We are never mad at someone if he leaves the gym. We are not perfect for everyone.

One day and I'm sure it would be happening soon as this past year more smaller programs were able to make it closer to the top at worlds. Some of these teams and programs will medal/win and it's gonna suck for the kids who left and didn't stick it out. Everyone who stayed even if they had aged out the year or two before should feel a huge sense of accomplishment as they helped build that legacy that can continue to grow from there. How rewarding is that. Just because a team won last year doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen again the following year. Many I think forget that. So excited for these smaller programs who are getting closer and closer.

I'm so used to people coming and going, that I tend not think much of it. Though, when I see a kid that has been at multiple gyms in a very short amount of time, I automatically assume we'll only keep them for a year or so. Around here, there are so many options to choose from. We've got Mega gyms, big gyms, medium gyms and small gyms.

I saw a post on tumblr by someone who was getting bashed for being a "gym hopper". I really for the kids who are being alienated by teammates for switching when in fact it was out of their control. I know this doesn't go for a lot I people, but this is what she said in response to the negative comments being thrown her way- she has cheered for 3 teams in less than 2 years. She was a teenager & started with gym #1 when mid season, it was bought out and absorbed by gym #2. Then, her family moved to another state and she decided to cheer in her new state at gym #3.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || MEOW

I have an opposite "gym hopping" story for y'all:
So there was a girl on my senior 3 team with level 3/4 skills (we are a large gym). She tried out again and made the senior 4 team, which is the goal of most of the girls on the level 3 team. She then left and went to a small gym to be on their small, not very good and unsuccessful worlds team, just so she could compete at worlds. Interesting is t it?

So there was a girl on my senior 3 team with level 3/4 skills (we are a large gym). She tried out again and made the senior 4 team, which is the goal of most of the girls on the level 3 team. She then left and went to a small gym to be on their small, not very good and unsuccessful worlds team, just so she could compete at worlds. Interesting is t it?

Just out of curiosity, how old was she? Did she feel this would be her only opportunity to go to Worlds and wanted to go just to have that experience of competing there even without any chance of getting out of prelims? Maybe she felt she would never be good enough to make a Worlds team at your gym but would be a big fish in a small pond at another.

LOL tell me that the team you're talking about is the team I'm thinking...

I've been on both sides of that as well. Nothing much you can do but shrug your shoulders and keep moving on. Though, I'd love to know which gym. There are a few I can think of

I've been on both sides of that as well. Nothing much you can do but shrug your shoulders and keep moving on. Though, I'd love to know which gym. There are a few I can think of
Well, I'm not going to say it publicly, but it's jersey so I'm sure you can make a few guesses lol. Off topic but is jersey all stars having a worlds team this year? If so, thus awesome! I love watching all of your routines :)

Just out of curiosity, how old was she? Did she feel this would be her only opportunity to go to Worlds and wanted to go just to have that experience of competing there even without any chance of getting out of prelims? Maybe she felt she would never be good enough to make a Worlds team at your gym but would be a big fish in a small pond at another.
It's quite possible

Well, I'm not going to say it publicly, but it's jersey so I'm sure you can make a few guesses lol. Off topic but is jersey all stars having a worlds team this year? If so, thus awesome! I love watching all of your routines :)

I just tried to pm you, but it wouldn't let me...

Our level 5 will be staying restricted this year...and thanks :)

Back