All-Star Gym Hopping

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think no athlete should leave in the middle of the season especially before a big competition (worlds in particular). Unless they are having problems with the gym, can't afford it anymore, parents pull them from the gym. Even then I don't think it is fair to the team but no one is perfect and it happens. I think it is okay for an athlete to go to a bigger gym or go to different ones. As an athlete you want to find the best fit for YOU. Everyone else's opinion shouldn't matter. If you're happy that's what matters in my opinion. Cheer is expensive and if you're going to commit to something that takes up that much time and costs that much money I believe you should go to the best possible gym. Best not meaning the biggest gym and most well known. Best meaning what they like best, feel most comfortable at, and are the most successful at.

It really bugs me when some one tries out for multiple teams and just goes with which ever team offers them the highest level.. example is my friend tried out for 5 TEAMS, crazy I know, but she doesn't even care about which gym she makes she just want to be level 4 (she doesnt have a handspring) its just weird when people only care about level instead of the actual gym and the atmosphere

Why would trying to find a gym that fits both you and your child's needs, be a disgrace?

I have no problem with people changing gyms. Even multiple times. Where I find the issue is when one child will try out at 3 or 4 gyms and publicly proclaim that they will be making a decision based upon which team each gym places them on.

Thats not moving for a better fit or culture. Thats position shopping. And it hurts the kids at each of those 3 or 4 gyms who have worked their whole lives for a spot but are edged out by someone who isn't even going to take it! Sure the spot will get passed down but then those kids know they weren't considered good enough to begin with. All so that one child (and the parents who support that child) can feel good about getting 4 spots and picking the best one.

When will gym owners realize that this type of family will probably do the same thing again next year?

I get annoyed with the shopping around too. If you are placed on a team at Gym A, you don't really like it, just leave don't keep showing up waiting to see if gym B will eventually offer you a better position. That leaves gym A having to find a replacement if you do decide to leave!

I mean, I understand gym shopping. While I've been pretty certain since I was around 14 or 15 that I would be going to the college I went to, I definitely applied to more than just that school. Cheer is expensive. College is expensive. Why wouldn't I look around for the best all-around option when it came to price, placement, and offerings?

I mean, I understand gym shopping. While I've been pretty certain since I was around 14 or 15 that I would be going to the college I went to, I definitely applied to more than just that school. Cheer is expensive. College is expensive. Why wouldn't I look around for the best all-around option when it came to price, placement, and offerings?
That's different! Cheer is not nearly as expensive as college!! Some of these kids are trying to hold spots at more than one location and that I believe is not right. I don't care if you shop until you drop, just don't string your team along!

That's different! Cheer is not nearly as expensive as college!! Some of these kids are trying to hold spots at more than one location and that I believe is not right. I don't care if you shop until you drop, just don't string your team along!

Cheer is way more expensive than college here. But we have college for free so... :)

This situation is tough, I know some gym owners will put 22 athletes on a small team after tryouts because they know of the shopping and don't want to overplay their hand. And then there is the shopping parents that won't write a commitment check to a program even after being offered a spot because they are waiting to see all of the options. The only thing good that has come of this practice is that it is now happening mostly in the pre season and durring tryout time. I still remember back to the days of athletes vacationing all summer long only to change teams in September when they were ready to settle down and focus, leaving gyms high and dry for 3 months! IT IS GETTING BETTER!!!

Back