All-Star Gym Owners, Advertising/recruiting New Members

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 15, 2017
How do you go about advertising your gym or do you just do word of mouth?

We are a new team this season, and would love to know what works and what doesn't work. I'd love to start recruiting for next season.

We run week long day camps in conjunction with the gymnastics facility we rent space from. It's been an amazing way to get kids interested and onto our teams!

I know a lot of new gyms that are building and already have some members, will do bring a friend(s) and have lots of fun activities planned...I remembered a gym offering open gyms,etc and provided referral incentives to members who have friends come and sign-up, like money off tuition for a month,etc...

Furthermore, I remembered this 1 year at a gym, 1 member owned a daycare facility and signed up practically her whole daycare, at least 20 kids and that gym ended up with a Tiny 1 and Tiny Exhibition teams, and I believe added members for their Mini and Youth teams...I only wondered how that gym rewarded that member... But recruiting them really young might be a great option, if you have great daycares in your areas...

Last edited:
Social media works! When you have athletes posting comp pics and then tagging the gym they compete for, friends are likely to be curious and give it a look. It's easy to have a reference point for teens talking amongst themselves, if a friend asks "What's cheer?" or "what gym do you go to?", the cheerleader can just show them the page.

CP recruited a friend for her team this year and has more interested but their parents have said no due to costs and/or time commitment. She talks about her team all the time and has shown her friends videos from competition. I would say for her team most of the new members are recruited because they are friends with others who are already there. CP did bring a friend day as well and CP loved that cause the friend she brought didn't join but told the other kids in their class how much work CP does at practice.

Work with you local Pop Warner, AYC and rec teams. You will be able to build relationships with them for tumble and possibly prep cheer that starts after their season ends

Definitely social media. Instagram was how many girls in our area became familiar with a new gym opening up. They searched various hash tags relating to cheerleading/gymnastics/dance specific to our area and started friending kids posting cheer/gymnastics/dance related photos. It really spread throughout the area pretty quickly. Usually our gym posts clinic info or tryout info & once you friend someone they go to your page & see who you are and there's all the info. It also helps to have teens help with social media recruiting for example contest, tag friends to this post or share this tryout info on your page, etc.

We moved to All Star because the gym offered a Groupon for cheap tumbling classes over the summer, and then a discount for an unlimited class monthly contract. After a year of taking tumbling classes and watching the All Star teams, she decided that she wanted to do All Star. I know of two other girls moving from rec after the same progression.

Back