All-Star Gym Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Even levels 1-4 need a full mat! I used to cheer level 3 at a gym with out a full floor. Spacing was SO HARD.

Top Gun coed started in a field if I'm not mistaken, so I don't think spacing would be an issue.

But if you were going to go with the smaller unit, I would suggest setting it up to where you have 9 33' strips.
Cutting down carpet foam to 33' is VERY expensive and difficult, and no supplier will cut it for you. Also, once you cut it-it voids the warranty....so if you cut it and the carpet starts separating from the foam, too bad.

Ms Bee makes great points. And the gym I own does not have a full floor. We probably have the same dimensions you are potentially going to have with the smaller gym. We ran our mats sideways, but taped them like you would to compete...in a checkerboard pattern. Does that make sense?? We have a level 6 team. They have trouble on our floor when trying to run the whole routine, so we rent someone else's gym if needed for them. I wish we had a larger floor, but I do recommend that if you are just starting out and money is an issue, go smaller and pay your bills. That is a stressor that may close your gym early for you. It is my third year and I am now looking to get a larger place now that I know our gym is going to make it ok.

As a fellow gym owner, start SMALL and work your way up. period.

We are in our 6th year, but still do not have a FULL floor. We do have a spring floor now and 7 strips running sideways (like hopskipandjump) . We have never had a problem with any of our teams (Level 1 - 5) and have actually had 2 straight years of all teams winning all events except 1. Its about how you train your kids not necessarrily what they train in. Heck we started in an old church with 3 strips... we MADE it work because I Wasn't willing to have the program go under and go too big too soon and get pulled under. Any kids you ask will tell you to go big cause thats what they want, but I am fairly confident any gym owner will tell you to take it easy, especially in this economy.

ITs waaay more fun to own a gym too when you are not constantly stressed about making rent and having enough kids! :)

Just my .2 cents!

Edited to add, half of our strips of mat were second hand, and we also built our own spring floor for half the cost.

I've cheered at gyms that were a mat or 2 short of a full floor. It's doable, especially because for most of the routine, the outside mats aren't really used. I think it might be worth it to go with the smaller space for now, see how your first season goes, and then expand if you're in a position to do so.

go for the two units. My gym is two panels short of a full floor and it sucks even for a level 3 team. Also in the future you may want to have a level 5 team an you will need a full floor for that too. Good luck!

i completely agree! give the kids a full floor because you will want to go level 5 later!

Back