All-Star Gym Switching Experiences

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 13, 2015
Now that I've been at my new gym for a few months, I want to share my experiences for those thinking of switching gyms!! Please share yours if you feel comfortable!!

I was at my old gym for six years, starting when I was 10. Up until February of last season, I was planning on staying there. I experienced a tragedy years ago and they were my biggest support system. It was a really difficult decision, especially because this is my senior year; but ultimately, it got to the point where I would leave every one of my practices in tears.

I started researching other gyms in my area, and ended up looking into a gym that an old coach of mine moved to. When I was unsure of what I should do, she was a huge part of helping me out. She knew what a hard time I was having with the decision. She said to me, "Just come check it out and see what you think".

My first day at the gym, I was so nervous! As soon as I walked in, everyone was so welcoming. I saw the owner quite literally bouncing around to different groups of athletes and introducing himself. It was bright, and the energy was vibrant. I walked out of the gym that first night and told my mother, "This gym has restored my love for cheerleading".

The day before my tryout at my new gym was my old gym's end-of-season banquet. I almost can't remember a time that I cried as much as I did that night. Luckily, I left on amazingly good terms with all of my former teammates and coaches. However, it was still incredibly difficult.

After tryouts, I practiced with the Senior 4 throughout the summer. I was happy and contributing with lots of tumbling. (I've been working on perfecting my full, and I have my jumps to back). A day before team reveal, an email went out to certain athletes asking them to come to another practice. When I arrived, I had no clue what team I was practicing with, and it turned out to be the gym's Restricted 5! Up until that point, I had been so sure of where I would end up, but now I was confused. Even though I didn't know where I would end up, I knew that I had done my best that night.

The day of team reveal, I walked into the gym with a nervous excitement. After the informational meeting given by the owner and the coaches, the athletes were finally allowed to open their envelopes. When I opened mine I almost could not believe it: I made Restricted 5!

My team has been getting stronger and closer everyday. Our first competition was so successful, not just for my team but the entire gym! Every team in the gym continues to improve, and I feel like I'm walking through a dream everyday! I am so proud to be a part of my new gym, and can not wait to see what the rest of this season has in store!

This is an example of how switching gyms should/can be in a dream cheer world. U finishing season, saying good bye to team mates and everyone is supportive. Best part is coaches are ok with it, and u have found another great gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back