All-Star Gyms Banning Athletes??

• Thread starter Deleted member 11199
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 11199

A couple of seasons ago, I was "banned" from a gym because the owner caught wind that I planned on moving gyms next season. I really don't know how he found out and I wasn't openly talking about it around other athletes. I thought that was crazy until a couple of days ago. A friend of mine decided that for her last season, she wanted to try out for her dream team. Her home gym (ill call them gym "A"), banned her from ever returning even this athlete has been loyal to them for a number of years. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has run into this problem. Is this a common thing now?

It's happened at our gym. A parent was completely blindsided by it. Her youth age CP has some mad skills and she felt the gym wasn't going to be able to field a competitive team that her daughter could utilize all her skills so her plan was to move to another gym temporarily while her daughter's age group caught up to her so to speak (that sounds far douchier than her intention was). She just wanted her daughter to be able to compete with ALL her skills. Anyway, when she told the gym owner it did not go well. Things got really ugly and emotions flared. She was "banned" but I suspect after a year or two with tempers calmed she would be welcomed back.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

It happened to me once... For whatever reason (they didn't really give us one) there was a parting of the ways (and a bunch if other kids left the same time I did) and we wernt allowed to set foot through the sorts ever again even to tumble with the gymnastics program that was in the same facility.

We try to always have some type of open door policy for any kid that leaves, regardless of reason. We have had some people leave on less than perfect terms but when they come back, we talk about what happened and give it a second try. Usually it is the parent that is the problem anyways.

There have been a couple times where it was understood but not formally stated that they weren't welcome back (parents that threatening to sue or other legal actions) but we have never had one of those parents try to come back.

This has never happened at any gym/program I've cheered or coached at. And in my opinion, it's not smart to "ban" someone. People always think the grass is greener on the other side. Let them go. If they're happy and thrive at the new gym, then great from them. But they may realize the grass ain't green at all and come back...Which ive seen happen over and over again. But you'll never know if you ban them. Let people make their own decisions. It's their life and their money.

At my previous gym, I can only remember 1 athlete being banned from ever entering....they left in the middle of the season to compete on a rival.

That is what en
It happened to me once... For whatever reason (they didn't really give us one) there was a parting of the ways (and a bunch if other kids left the same time I did) and we wernt allowed to set foot through the sorts ever again even to tumble with the gymnastics program that was in the same facility.
That is what ended up happening with me. The season I left, almost ALL level 5 athletes left at the same time when they saw how ugly things got. He has even threatened trespassing if any of us come into the gym.

WOW! this is just crazy to me. I always try to look at cheer gyms from the business perspective. If your caught stealing/vandalizing/embezzling from a business, etc. Ok yes, ban, criminal charges etc.

To ban a potential athlete from a gym is just not smart if banning stems from selfish spite.:eek:

Happened to a girl from my old gym. She lived about an hour and a half away from the bigger gym she moved to. She left the smaller gym because they didn't have a team to suit her skills. Since the smaller gym was a lot closer to home she took her tumbling classes there but the gym banned her and her family from even taking classes there. Needless to say, a lot of us from that smaller gym ended up cheering at the other gym. Seemed like a bad business move to me.

WOW! this is just crazy to me. I always try to look at cheer gyms from the business perspective. If your caught stealing/vandalizing/embezzling from a business, etc. Ok yes, ban, criminal charges etc.

To ban a potential athlete from a gym is just not smart if banning stems from selfish spite.:eek:

AGREE.

wow! in all my years i know of one person banned and that was for stealing, but we've had people bad mouth other teams/athletes/coaches/leave in the middle of the season. they were asked to leave, but if they wanted to return the next year they were for the most part allowed, however may not be based on a very competitive/elite team, if that makes sense.

wow! in all my years i know of one person banned and that was for stealing, but we've had people bad mouth other teams/athletes/coaches/leave in the middle of the season. they were asked to leave, but if they wanted to return the next year they were for the most part allowed, however may not be based on a very competitive/elite team, if that makes sense.
I agree that breaking a LAW should be "banned". Honestly, I take pleasure in those that leave (on shady terms) coming back in an having to tuck their tail between their legs. I can't think of any "ban" but I know a few that aren't welcome.

Happened to both my kids. We just left gym 2 after 4 years. We'd paid the entire season for both kids up front (so being behind was never a concern) and they finished every commitment they had to their team before moving on.

However, it was made very clear to us that should we choose to leave we would be unwelcome in the gym, and cut off from their coaches for all eternity.

I won't speak for the tumble coaches but that last private lesson was horrible. It's like all four of them realized in the last five minutes that it was the LAST five minutes. I was squalling, the kids were a mess, I won't speak for the coaches. My kids spontaneously burst into tears through dinner and after we tried to take their mind off it with Ironman 3. And they're 13 and 15. Hours later we'd see them (and me) sniffling in the back seat trying to hold it together.

It was horrible. Felt exactly like someone had died. I can't understand why people who claim to love kids and/or ever claimed to love mine could do that to them.

The only thing clear to me is that they never did. They loved the inordinate effort and money we poured into the program. They loved my tuition check. They loved having my kids in their uniform....but clearly never loved them at all if that's how they are willing to treat them for changing colors.

Back